Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone decided not to upgrade from 250?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by iamahot1, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Hi All

Just curious to know if anyone here decided to stay with a 250 after restrictions were over and if so, why

2. We had a similar thread not too long ago.
    In my case, even when I bought my CB250 I was already free to get anything I wanted - but I got CB250 because I was after a short-range commuter with low running costs, meaning not only petrol but also cost of maintenance, insurance and rego... I also wanted something that wouldn't stand out much, because I park on the street and spend a fair bit of time in neighbourhoods that are not of the highest quality, let's put it that way.
    CB250 was, and remains, perfect for that role.

I am planning to get a more flash, larger bike, but even then I'll keep the CB250 as a workhorse.

3. (i am biased by my own experience)
    however i think people should seek/explore the 'limits' of their 250s before upgrading.

it often scares me when people who have just obtained their [P]-Plates are congratulated
    and at the same time told to look forward to getting a bigger bike in 'just 12 months'.

early on, i decided to ride my 250 until i felt confident that i could squeeze every last drop out of it.
    even when (i thought) that day had come, i was still very indecisive about what bike to upgrade to,
    although it did not cause me much anxiety, i just kept riding my 250.

i rode my 250 for 5 years before upgrading,
    with certainty that i did not do it prematurely.

riding your 250 for too long is not likely to get you killed,
    upgrading too early just might. :idea:

4. So it was a bad idea for me to learn on a 650 then step onto a 1 litre bike? :shock: The bigger bike is a handy thing if you need to haul crap around, and makes for effortless touring.
    Generally I would agree, but I also think a person's maturity comes into play. I have known some bloody mature 20 year olds, and then some total dropkicks too!
    Another factor is a person's age. I know what sort of bad stuff happens on teh roads, and consequently know what to look for with regards dodgey drivers, road conditions etc.
    If I was a younger bloke, I wouldn't be riding a bike because I know I have(had) that sort of more, faster psyche. I grew out of it and am now on a bike. Gotta know your limitations and set yourself boundaries, part of becoming an adult.

Regards, Andrew.

5. i wouldnt mind getn a 250 2stroke for track
    didnt mind it on the 250's you could chuck them around
    and be flat stick around corners
    was good fun beating bigger bikes through the twisty bits

but its better now with a bigger bike can do wheelies hehe

6. A mate of mine has, despite my constant niggling, stuck with his 250 VTR for a couple of years now. He was able to upgrade as soon as he passed his P's test (NSW/over 30/Gold license) but didn't, and still doesn't, feel the need.

He's the only person I've ever come across who didn't upgrade as soon as practically possible though. Once I get him out touring though I expect he'll change his mind. :)

7. I would really love to be paying the insurance rates you get on 250's.

My bike has same power/weight/handling as a 250- yet where 250's pay $200 in CTP Green slip, I'm paying $600 :shock:

I have considered trading my bike down, but I never really gelled with the style or attitude (or lack of) of the 4-cylinder 250 Race-reps. It would be sensible, considering my bike is in no practical way better than a 250, but choice in motorcycles should never be based on any practical matters, always passion.

Cost would have to be the only reason you'd stay with one. Even then, a lot of bigger bikes sell for the same money used, and return the same fuel economy, with no more maintenance- Insurance is the only real gain area (unless you're riding a cb250 admittedly, which is really cheap on everything).

8. I'm going to buy either a DT 175 (2 stroke) trail bike or the Johnny Pag 250 Spyder chopper (if it is released in Oz, later in the year. See the thread about 250 Spyder chopper).

I'll keep the old BMW 650 for when I go touring, for riding around Sydney I don't really need a bigger bike than a 250.

A lot of ego is involved in buying bigger bikes, like many think 250's are not "cool" .
    I'm past caring what is cool or not.

In America last year I was somewhat amazed when people in the small town I stayed in kept asking me if I thought the 600 Honda Shadow cruiser I bought was big enough to tour the USA on.
    I pointed out it carried all my gear and did above the legal speed limit, and I was seeing their country, not racing around it as fast as I could.
    They were still dubious.
    Most felt you could not tour on anything less than at least a 1000cc bike.
    How very odd.
    I've never understood the stigma attached to 250cc bikes.
    I toured all over NSW on an XL 250 trail bike for three years, had a great time, went anywhere, did anything. 75,000 K on the clock when I sold it.
    When I rode to Cape York in 1989, Chris was on a Yamaha XT 250 (I was on a XL 500) he actually had more fun than me, because the XT was such a lightweight " chuckable" bike. He was the only one out of four of us who did not fall off.
    Peter Thoeming, Editor of Australian Road Rider magazine toured the world on an XL 250.
    If you're happy on your 250, keep it. Submitting to peer pressure to buy a larger bike so that you can " keep up" is just infantile.

9. I can see your point. There are definetly a lot of people who upgrade for the sake of it, even though they never are going to use any of the extra power of a 1000cc+ bike.

But larger bikes have merits beyond just posing. They're more comfortable, more relaxed/stable/comfortable at high speeds, look nicer, sound nicer, handle better, have better build quality, last longer, cost the same used etc...

You're right, if you're happy just keep it. The light weight "chuckability" is actually something I really miss, and I have considered a GPX250 as a future bike. Certainly around town a 250 with upright bars is easily the best thing going.

But larger bikes do have many merits. I guess all bike have their advantages and weaknesses. In the end they're all bikes, and pretty similar for all intents and purposes- the similarities are far greater than the differences. Some bikes are slightly better at some things, but any bike can turn its wheel at most things. Just see through all the crap and find the bike that'll suit your needs best

10. I did that a long time ago mate.

It's why I've had the R 650 LS for so many years now. :LOL:

11. Me :grin: For a number of reasons. Main 2 reasons being not alot of options for a short arse like me to upgrade to and probably the main contender.....$$$$, always something else that needs to be paid.
    Although I have had my Across for nearly 5 years, I have no great urge to upgrade but maybe one day.... ;)

12. Has anyone who hasn't (wanted to) upgraded, have any of you ridden anything bigger than 250cc and still wouldn't like to change? That would be good to see :)

13. I spent a weekend riding the BMW funtura and well, apart from the extra power in take off, I wasn't too fussed. Then again, it WAS a BMW ;)

14. yes undii i have ridin zx6's ,gsxr600's and still ride 250's as i am with Carver i am learning all i can on a small and inexpensive bike.
    Like pulling fairing off general service and maintanance and when I know as much about a bike as i do about cars I will spend the big bucks and buy an expensive toy I can look after probly.

15. I'm tempted to keep my GPX, but for the "effortless touring" factor.

I'd like a bike that doesn't sound like it's going to take off at 110.

I'm looking at making a big jump to a 1000cc bike, and it is kinda daunting.

I love the cornering ability of the GPX, but that's not everything I want in a bike. It's only part of it.

16. hi carver - long time no see! ditto your comments. i felt exactly the same. there's a lotta pressure to upgrade after that first year, most of which, as jaqhama says, is driven by ego and status. it takes a bit of courage to resist that pressure.

the reality is we're not all in it for the speed and i do get sick of those who assume we all want more power. i love it for the freedom, the peace, the rhythm, the zen, 'the wind in my helmet', the touring, the learning about engines, the people and the cameraderie and i got all of that from my 250 which i had for 3 years.

like carver, it also took me time to get to know the 600 market and what i would want out of my next bike. i've upgraded now and agree with kols_kebabs that the 600 is more comfortable/stable/relaxed/smooth and i do love that extra power for overtaking, but it has to be done in your own time.

17. I wanna upgrade now, but i think that is more to do with the way i feel on the GPz rather than just the power increase.

18. Same here. being aged over 30 and holding a gold license, I jumped from L to un-restricted directly. I only use my motorbike for communting to work, turning 2 hours of boring train trip into 1.5 hour of fun ride everyday. CB250 serves the purpose perfectly. No plan to upgrade at least for the next two years.

19. I know the feeling. I'm feeling... (ha!) restricted by the GPX.

20. I have had my open licence for 3 years now and I still have my lerner legal gpz500s I actually have bought another 2 of them to tinker around with, I have Ridden bigger bikes, cruisers and sporty's but I love getting back to the comfort of my old trusty girl. She's great in the traffic, not to bad In the corners and has the ability to get the front wheel off the ground with a little clutch work.