Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone Climbed Mount Kosciuszko

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by VBman, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Has anyone here climbed Mount Kosciuszko

How hard was it. the site says its "Easy", but what is there idea of easy.

How hard is it, and how long did it take you.

Was it worth it?

Thanks

2. A few years ago I did it.

It was during summer. Drove to Thredbo. From there you can get a lift ticket. Its quite popular. Lots of Mt. Bikers and Bushwalkers. Although there is not so much in the way of trees near the top.
    From the top of the chair lift i believe it is about a 6.5km walk. (13km return) Much of the trail is weld mesh walkway to protect the ground.

As i remember it is was a pretty easy walk. People run it.

You can also walk the chairlift section too i think, which would make it a bit longer and harder if u r into more a challenge.

3. I did the walk well worth it

OMG I did that walk up first weekend of April 08 it was amazing and I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone regardless of your fitness level (within reason of course)...

I have zilch fitness really and its been 4 yrs since I've walked any distances ie: +2klm , let alone the 13klm trek that is the return trip up and back... But I made it, and it's so exhilarating and it's such a great achievement and the sights from the top is to be seen.

I admit that it took my breath away! that is the higher up you go, you do have to stop and take a minute to rest, but there are so many people making it up and those heading back down passing you that you just keep your head down and take it step at a time. It truely is the best thing I've done in a long while, really worth it. There were mums and dads with children on their backs, in front in childpacks etc and they were going!

There were elderly people, on tours, and they were doing it too! All ages and of all levels of ability, it's a very steady cliimb, you don't notice the grade, until the final klm perhaps which is the spiral up and around to the peak. There is a pitstop at the foot = australia's highest loos.

The weekend we were there it had snowed , they had blizzards on the Friday, and it was so beautiful to see it, the walkway is grated steel and above the snow in most places, it did come over in places, there are just two points where you have to go up/down a number of steps up which were a bit slippery but other than that it's just head down and keep going along the grated track.

We left early morning, up on the first chairlifts when it opened that morning ( I thought it would take me all day! :-} ) which was great because we didn't have to pass too many others coming down, and then I just passed on encouragement to those heading up on my way back down.. It took us 2hrs up and a little less coming down.

Highly recommend this to everyone! We did a weekend package which included accomm. golf, chairlifts, swimming centre entry, bike hire, park entry, bobsled, tennis, the lot, was great value and great prewinter escape.

4. Well worth it,take some water and definatly take a jacket,if the wind comes up it is bloody cold,dont miss the last chair lift down,either 400pm or 430,
    its far enough without walking down under the Crackenback chair,the chair is about 5ks,I ski and have been to Threadbo every winter for 20years,did the walk,its not a climb,on one summer bike trip back form Victoria up Dead Horse Gap,dont miss the best bike roads in OZin every dirrection you care to meanion from there.

5. Well worth it,take some water and definatly take a jacket,if the wind comes up it is bloody cold,dont miss the last chair lift down,either 400pm or 430,
    its far enough without walking down under the Crackenback chair,the chair is about 5ks,I ski and have been to Threadbo every winter for 20years,did the walk,its not a climb,on one summer bike trip back form Victoria up Dead Horse Gap,dont miss the best bike roads in OZin every dirrection you care to meanion from there.

6. What's this climbing bit ????. It's an easy walk......
    But well worth the effort...and the ride there is great fun as well.
    Have a good trip.

7. Didn't mean a Climb in that manner of speech, meant to say that it isn't a steep walk, the grated track is very gradual is all. nothing steep.

8. yes. did it a few yrs ago during spring. zero people, corn snow, blue bird day:)

will be doing an overnighter or two shortly when the weather is a little more friendlier.

think of it as a hill. can be done in a day, all up, from the crackenback chair or alternatively from charlottes pass.

the backcountry forum at www.ski.com.au may be of help.

amongst other things DON'T FORGET the fly repellent!

:)

9. Mt.Kosiosko - New Years Day, 1976.
    It was very cold and windy.
    LOL pic 2. Dave was pretending to be a mountaineer.

kos1.
    kos2.
    kos3.

10. So theres snow, or patches of snow year-round?

11. It was a very cold summer in back then. I'll think you'll find that it would be dry most summers.

12. yes and no.

has been known to snow on xmas day:)

13. anyone else got pics to add, looks good

14. last time i was there (boxing day, same year the sydney-hobart fleet was smashed by the weather) there was a blizzard and 1-2metre dump across the entire range. We had a 5-day walk planned starting at Kosciusko and heading down the range. Ended up starting at the other end, and by the time we got to Kosciusko, it was 40degrees, clear skies and no sign of snow.

the first night we camped out in an old hut because of the extreme weather. on the way up the range, we came across a party with a woman on a stretcher who had broken her leg in the icey conditions.

at the peak of the storm, temps dropped to -16 on the range ON BOXING DAY!

anyhow, weather like that is highly unusual, however it is quite normal to have temps below zero on the range in summer.

take wet weather gear (plastic poncho minimum) and a warm jacket no matter what the conditions are like when you set out.

that all said, it is an easy walk up to the Mt Kosciusko peak from Charlottes pass and well worth it.

15. Did this twice when I was an over weight 13 year old teenager and then again a few years later

Went from charlottes pass, in the middle of summer, remember it being like Jesus walking in the desert, hot and dry with huge devil flies biting

Second time was a little cooler from the chair lift from thredbo, over a board walk so you don’t step on some endangered native weed.

16. that's some high level respect you have for our national parks :shock:

The whole area was pretty stuffed from the grazing that used to go on, wild horses, man from snowy river stuff, etc. Its a credit to the NPWS for resurrecting much of the native vegetation and then building a slap-up track so that the public can enjoy it for years into the future.

17. Devil Fly

18. Mothers have been known to yell (in an incredibly fake Aussie accent) "help, help....a devil fly has my baby"............... :grin:

19. I was up there in January, it's an easy walk for someone of average fitness, like someone else said it's about 6 kms each way. The weather was nice when I went, although the wind was quite cool once you stopped walking, so I would recommend taking a jacket or jumper with you.

It is well worth doing, the scenery is spectacular and the mountain air is invigorating ;)

Pq2iGHdJ.

Pq2iH5a9.

You can see the walkway in this shot looking back towards Thredbo from just below the lookout.

Pq2iHE59.

20. Just to clarify the 'climb', years ago before NPWS closed the track, you could drive a 2wd to the top.
    Christmas '07 the flies were really BAD up there.