Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone bought new tyres from the US?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Josh, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Not sure where this should be posted but anyway....

I need a new rear tyre (180/55/17) and was looking at the US ebay site. The prices there are pretty good and, even allowing for the exchange rate and shipping it can still be cheaper than buying here in Oz. I'm looking at either a Pirelli Diablo or Battlax BT020. Has anyone bought tyres from os? Have there been any other issues such as taxes, duties or anything else that I need to be aware of? Failing that, what is the cheapest price or place to buy tyres in Melbourne?

Thanks heaps,

2. You going to fit it yourself?
  3. You should be looking at a Diablo Strada if your comparing with a BT020.

I doubt you'd get tyres through postal customs without accruing applicable taxes and duties etc. They're just too noticeable and highly unlikely to be a 'gift'.

Netrider partner businesses of course, with their discounts upon presentation of you membership card ... https://netrider.net.au/?page=partners :grin:
  4. which of course you get by simply filling out the form here and paying a very small once off fee :)
  5. Hi

Just wondering if there are there any affiliates in NSW for tyres? Looked through the partner discounts sectioun but couldnt see any.

6. My cousin can get it fitted for the cost of a slab :)

Looking at the BT020 as that's what I have at the moment. Got 15,000km out of it and it's been great. I have a Pirelli Diablo on the front and plenty of tread so I thought a Diablo on the rear would be good. Is the Strada like the BT020? I don't do a lot of sport riding but when I do I like to be sure it's going to stick. Will the Strada cope or is the Diablo better?

I'll check out the site. Sounds like the import duties may be too much...

7. slab of vic cost me $36 the other day... got a tyre fitted @ discount motorcycle wreckers for $20 :grin:
  8. You'll love these tyres. They'd look great on your bike & will leave more $$ in ya pocket. :p

Wow! :shock: Not bad at all Josh. Mine need changing every 5-7000km. :roll:

C'mon, dont keep the addess a secret. :grin: :p