Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone bought a bike from the USA?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dims, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Hey guys,
    With the aussie dollar being pretty strong right now...i've looked at a few bikes for sale over in the US.

Has anyone ever bought one over to Australia?

What did you have to do? How much did it cost?

SUch as:
    shipping cost
    compliance costs

anything else?

THere is a bike i'm looking at the moment, over there they're around the 7-8k US which is around our 9 mark....but to buy from here would be 15-16+ for a cheapie...

2. Start HERE .

I looked at a ZX14 for $11000 USD.
    The bike you're looking at will need to be less than half new price here now, and about half price when a couple of years old to be a "good" deal. Even less if the bike is not sold here in IMHO.

3. An american bike would be hard to ride here because they're left hand drive which means they drive on the right hand side of the road so you'd have to turn the left blinker on to turn right and you'd have to lean the opposite way when cornering.

4. There is actually a difference with left had drive. A friend brought a Harley from Dubai. The head lights point either to the left or right depending on the country. On some bikes this is adjustable, some not and need new light housings.

I'm also considering importing the new Ducati 848 (when its released). Rumors are it will be about US$12.5K (converts to AUD$14.5) and AUD$22.5K here! Thats a AUD$8k difference.

I've heard there is no import duty on Bikes any more, just 10% GST.

5. oh yeah so true about the whole indicating in opposite directions...aaaaaaaahahahahahahaha! good one...

yeh so as for importing, there is just the GST....but what else? apart from freight? how much is quarantine? how much do u have to pay to register it, or do u need to compliance it etc.

6. Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! Buell! :grin:

What about compliance and stuff? Like changing the speedo to KM/H?

I'll seriously go in on a container with someone if I can find a cheap XB12R.

7. Wont get complied unless it is built before 1 January 1989, Is a personal import or it is done as Unresticted volume in the RAWS scheme.

Talk to DOTARS before you do anything, its in the google search higher up in the page :wink:

8. Here’s the deal guys… if it’s after 1988 you can’t bring it into aust…..

Unless………

You have lived in the USA and have had ownership of the bike for 12 months…

I would think that most of the ADR stuff out of the US would be similar to us but that can be checked….

Bringing out a single bike (depending on what state you bring it out of) will cost you around $1500 in shipping fees… then

You have to pay GST on the bike…

There is also a 10% customs fee on imported vehicles but motorcycles don’t attract this…

I could bring in a brand new Goldwing for approx 25K AU… so how do Honda Australia justify 40K AU + on road costs???

Sons of bitches….. :evil:

Infact, I wrote to Honda on this matter a couple of weeks back… guess what.. no reply.. :|

But anyways… that’s basically the nuts and bolts of it……… in a word, ur screwed… :roll:

9. Ok, well unless anyone here has lived in the US recently that's not a goer.

What about a 3rd party? Surely there are specialty motorcycle importers that could manage this, like all those dudes that grey-import skylines from Japan. They've got to have a RAWS lisence which means they could import and register anything if I'm not mistaken.

10. That might be worth looking into, if their cut was significiantly less than the difference. I suspect their business model might set the cut right at or just below the difference, though, so they can sell them here just a little cheaper but make a huge profit. Wish I'd has a little more cash before leaving Canada to move back to Oz and I'd have brought a bike with me.

11. You also have to pay quarantine fee and storage while you wait to pick it up.

Quarantine is a scam and I had to pay it even though it wasn't needed.

The guy at the dock said "Your vehicle failed quarantine so you need to pay a fee"

I said "What for?"

He says "To destroy the leaf we found on the wheel"

How much is it I ask "$250" he says.

"$250!" I reply. "How do you destroy the leaf!!!?"

He says "In a fire"

So I said "bring the leaf and a lighter and I'll save us both the trouble"

To which he said "Mate it's as simple as this - give me the money and I'll give you the keys - get it?"

OH. now I understand - I realise I'm not getting keys till I pay him is quarantine fee (read BRIBE)

12. its not a bribe... He won't see a cent of that money.

Its beaurocracy. They had to have an officer inspect the whole bike regardless of the fact that your bike may have been clean as a whistle. They don't know until they look.

EDIT: or did he seem a bit of a shady importer that just tells quarantine he inspected it and puts some $$$ on it for himself?

13. I looked at it years ago and found it would have been much dearer, even without the new laws.

Bikes aren't that cheap in the US because of the 30% import duty protecting Hardley.

Back then the best value bike, compared to Australia was moto guzzis.

14. Only way getting a bike from the USA has any chance of being allowed and financialy viable is if it is a not to be registered bike, such as a collectors item or a track bike.

15. Ok gang heres the deal.
    I'm a ducati fan. Simple as that. A 996 over here for a CHEAP one you will be lucky to find one for about 15k.

Over there you can find awesome ones for about 7-8000 US.

So heres the deal.

8000US = 9000AU (c'mon aussie dollar!!!)

2000 - shipping (conservative?)

No customs fee for bikes

1000 - GST

12k total?

Or am i missing something here....

What about compliance? A bike would be the same would it not? If it has indicators, brake lights, headlights etc...what else would i be missing on?

16. Maybe what you need to do is get a Fulbright scholarship to study in the US for a year, buy a bike as soon as you get there and bring it back with you. ;)

17. Yes, you are not allowed to import a bike that was available in this country unless it is a specialty vehicle such as a race prepared unregisterable bike. The law is there to protect local distributors from exactly what yopu are trying to do.

18. Was also designed to protect the local car manufacturing industry. New Zealand abolished import restrictions which is why they can buy Japanese/European grey imports dirt cheap. Of course several thousand people also found themselves without a job as a result and new prices are higher due to lack of sales - fine if you want a 2nd hand Japanese 250-400cc bike, but not so great if you want anything bigger (especially if it's over 750cc).

19. I looked into doing it a while ago. I've spent a lot of time in the US, both my kids are US citizens, and I have a good mate there whose brother is a motorbike dealer and offered to sell me a new bike at cost price to him and get it shipped over. I could have had it registered there in my name and stored for the 12 months and then sent over...but the costs involved with shipping, some conversion requirements for here, the wait and the hassle, warranty issues and all the red tape just made it a completely pointless exercise.

Unless you are a collector and have found an extremely rare bike and aren't doing it as a cost saving exercise, it is not worth doing, in my opinion.

20. Ok even if it were legal you would have to add:

Shipping insurance
    swap the headlight
    Indicators
    reflectos
    speedo
    anything else that's different
    ADR compliance inspections etc

THEN get it registered.

I'm guessing your up around $15-16K