Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anyone been to Phuket?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by pringa8, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Considering a holiday with the better half, pretty cheap at the moment! Looked up the area, and noticed all the Ladyboy Bars!!! ha ha ha

Anyone been, had a good time? (and no details of ladyboy action!!)

2. Yep been twice good place to eat heaps of cheap food,drink heaps of booze ,relax and party :wink: koi samoi is also interesting :grin:

3. I've said it a few times...

4. Gross party-town populated entirely by child-rooting foreigners, pissed poms and aussies and the service industry.

But then I find all resort towns disgusting in the same way. If you like that sort of thing, go for it.

5. If you want to go to Thailand, Phuket is one of the standard touristy 'take advantage of western money' spots.
    But the next time I go I'll visit there and do the beaches.

I absolutely loved Chiang Mai when I visited Thailand in 2001 - the people there are actually happy and smile.
    It's a normal Thai city.

Bangkok is just filled with pollution and unhappiness, but I spose the Grand Palace is interesting for a day.

6. I've been there for 2 days, if I were you I would catch a Ferry (cheap and takes about 1 hour) to Phi Phi island or to Krabi (takes longer) which has an awesome long beach.

There should be less less tourists there since both of this islands don't have direct flights from Jetstar.

7. Never been there but Langkawi's a nice island to visit (it's in Malaysia but is right on the edge of the Thai border). Has an interesting mix of people since it's a popular stop for people on yachts and also has the unusual feature of not having any taxes - so all shops are at duty-free prices (ie cheap, genuine brand name goods and booze). Still get the markets selling counterfeit stuff too, though Malaysian prices are slightly higher than Thailand (since it's all made in Bangkok).
    Can also highly recommend the island of Penang in Malaysia, especially if you rent a bike and get up into the hills and more remote areas of the island.

8. Can highly recommend Vietnam.

Everyone is very friendly and most people speak English. Was dirt cheap.

Friends of mine just got back from Bali and said it was brilliant too. Seems like people who used to go to Bali now go to Phuket - so you may have more people there.

Enjoy!

WGM

9. I agree, Chang Mai is great, it's worth seeing just for the temples. There's lots to see in the neighbouring provinces. If you are going to be heading north, I recommend exploring mountain tribes.

10. Thanks for the info guys, sold the race car so we're keen to go on a holiday for a week or so with the spare cash left over, somewhere around there. Harvey World Travel's doing a deal for 10 nights & airfare in phuket for $1480, so wanted to see how touristy it was first!

11. You want to spend more then a week there, sure if you backpack you could do it on the cheap.

Have fun with whatever you do :woot: