Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anybody know about the ZX-2R?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by DZOG21, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Hi all im looking for info on the Kawasaki ZX-2R

I would like to know anything you could tell me about the bike.

Im interested in purchasing one for my first bike. Either ZX-2R or a ELIMINATOR VN250.

All help will be appreciated.

Grassyass.

2. Fluffy Donkey bought a new ZX2R for his first bike.

Loved it.

Reliable as hell - VERY comfortable seating position.
    Was often mistaken for a 600 in the looks department.

Pissed off he upgraded before I could get a ride on it :(

3. FYI no such bike as ZX2R. It's a ZXR250 with bling Ninja/zx2r stickers.
    Also they stopped building them in 1996.
    Better bikes out there.

4. The ZX-2R was never delivered locally as far as I know.

That means that every one you see has been imported as a used bike from Japan, and complianced (this involves the fitting of the twin discs for this model I think).

The trouble is, the process of shipping them over in containers causes them to be exsposed to salty sea air for a length of time, after which they're usually left in storage for a while longer.

As a result, most of the bikes arrive too corroded to be usable. Importers generally assemble one good bike from 6 to 10 rusted carcasses, then compliance, respray and sell them.

They're good fun bikes, similar to the CBR250RR (which is slightly better and you can find local models) - but the upshot for the buyer is:

1) There will almost certainly be corrosion through the body. This can manifest itself in electrical faults, rusted snapping bolts, and all sorts of other problems.

2) As the bike was never imported by Kawasaki, you can't get new replacement parts. You'll have to wait for bloody ages, and they'll be ridiculously expensive. If you find parts from wreckers they'll have gone through the same corrosive shipping process as yours did.

3) Some mechanics flat-out refuse to work on bikes like these because fixing one problem often brings up another and customers get pissed off with them.

My advice: ten foot pole material. More trouble than they're worth.

Learner 2fiddys I'd recommend include VTR250 (the best IMO), GPX250, ZZR250, Suzuki Across. If you've gotta go super sporty, try to find a locally delivered CBR250R or RR.

Forget the eliminator, cruisers handle like shit.

5. choose between a ZX-2R, and an Eliminator is about the same as saying "I'm either going to be a Stock Broker playing the 24 hour international money market, or a researcher for Encylcopaedia Brittanica" - couldn't be worlds apart !

6. Sorry - thought you were just referring to the Kawasaki sports 250 in general.

For the record, Donkey bought a brand new ZXR250 - and it was a lovely bike.

ZX2Rs = good bike + risky import, as above.

7. The ZX-2R was never delivered locally as far as I know.

That means that every one you see has been imported as a used bike from Japan, and complianced (this involves the fitting of the twin discs for this model I think).

The trouble is, the process of shipping them over in containers causes them to be exsposed to salty sea air for a length of time, after which they're usually left in storage for a while longer.

As a result, most of the bikes arrive too corroded to be usable. Importers generally assemble one good bike from 6 to 10 rusted carcasses, then compliance, respray and sell them.

They're good fun bikes, similar to the CBR250RR (which is slightly better and you can find local models) - but the upshot for the buyer is:

1) There will almost certainly be corrosion through the body. This can manifest itself in electrical faults, rusted snapping bolts, and all sorts of other problems.

2) As the bike was never imported by Kawasaki, you can't get new replacement parts. You'll have to wait for bloody ages, and they'll be ridiculously expensive. If you find parts from wreckers they'll have gone through the same corrosive shipping process as yours did.

3) Some mechanics flat-out refuse to work on bikes like these because fixing one problem often brings up another and customers get pissed off with them.

My advice: ten foot pole material. More trouble than they're worth.

Learner 2fiddys I'd recommend include VTR250 (the best IMO), GPX250, ZZR250, Suzuki Across. If you've gotta go super sporty, try to find a locally delivered CBR250R or RR.

Forget the eliminator, cruisers handle like shit.

8. It was the fastest 250 four stroke... still is...

Although I wont argue with Loz... I am sceptical of his post.... I mean... this may be true for one shipment at some point, but If you were importing them and they arrived like that, wouldnt you make sure it didnt happen again the next time? i think so......

In any case... All of the ones I have seen have been in excellent condition, without any corrosion..

They have been out of production for a very long time though. But you will find the same applies to all of the 4stroke 250 bikes with fairings (other than the Hyosun GTR250)... So the same is true of the CBR250RR and R2(yzf250) ... (do not listen to compliance years, they are misleading....).

I dont know if it is against Netrider law, but there is an australian Kawasaki specific website that has a lot of users with this bike... PM me if you want the web address...

9. sketchie has one - great little bike. much more power than my lame arse Cb250

10. You can't own a bike for more than 2/3 years in Japan, so the importers buy containers full of them at a time for bugger-all money. It's still a very profitable business for venerable and honest businesses like Sumoto.

11. The Datsun 240K Coupe had that problem, apparently they were actually transported on the deck of a ship. Every single one of had serious corrosion/rust problems within 5 years.

Loz, I gotta disagree with you too. If they're shipped in a container then they shouldn't have to worry about 'salty sea air', as containers are sealed. If what you're saying is true, then every grey bike will have the same problem, in fact everything that is shipped anywhere via seafreight that made out of ferrous materials would have the same problem. How many cars are imported every year in containers??

Back on topic, DZOG, Doonks has a bit of a point. Why the choice between a baby supersports and a cruiser? Is it a Kawasaki thing? If so you should probably also check out the GPX and the ZZR and even the zr250 Balius (also a grey import, so it'll probably fall apart when you sit on it...)

12. thank you and cheers.

Yeah well I like the look of the cruiser, and Iv heard it has a restricted racing engine, but then i look at the zx-2r and i think to my self "you know you really want this one &6^%8 the cruiser"
    And it also is a kawasaki thing.

Thats really all it is.

Im a little worried about this corrosion problem too, just made my high come down.
    So what would be the best thing to do in the ZX2Rs case for me to be sure its worthy of my cash do you suggest?

Thanks again
    DJ

13. How much are you looking at spending?

Find a ZXR250 - newer bike, legit aussie import, etc. Still Kawasaki, still looks great.

14. just get a zzr. (only coz i want a ninja hehehee you can't have one)

15. All I know is I've checked out a fair few ZX2Rs and CBR250RRs, and then spoken to three or four mechanics who simply won't deal with these bikes because they're so problematic.

MattyB's imported CBR had rusted electrics, and disc brake bolts that were so rusted they snapped off when we tried to replace the discs. I didn't notice this despite what I felt was a pretty thorough pre-purchase inspection. The mechanic told us it was absolutely typical of japanese 250 imports.

I'm told it's the sea air - although it could of course be the snowy japanese winter contributing as well. Either way, 10 foot pole stuff as far as I'm concerned, they're overpriced and you're taking a big risk with the corrosion side of things.

16. Right, so a ZXR250 and a ZX2R are basically the same thing? lookswise?
    Only the ZXR is an official import therefore meaning there will be no corrosion and a much better safer bike?

Excuse the innocence

17. well that cant be right. I just called sumoto in melbourne and they advised me that a zx2r is a zxr250 with a paintjob..

Ok

I also mentioned corrosion and he stated that it was the poorly maintained bikes prior to being imported which are the ones which have bad cases...

He said that 99% of 250s in australia are imports then he added, so they all must have corrosion.

Is he serious or a shonky salesman?

18. 99% of zx2r's and cbr 250's are imports? Or 99% of ALL 250's are imports?

If he said the later, then I'm calling bs. E's aving a larff.

If he meant that 99% are imported including official dealer imports ie: because most bikes are made overseas then by nature they are imports, well.... there's a world of difference between a cheaply shipped second hand non parts supported bike and a factory shipped one.

19. I've heard this said many times before, but exactly what about the shipping process for a grey is any different to an official import? They both come by sea container.

20. exactly....... most of it is a rumour spread by dealerships and brands.....

I mean, pretty much 100% of CBR, YZF and ZXR bikes are imports (well the 250's are anyway) Pffffff most of them have been here for at least 8 years, you dont see them falling apart doyou?