Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anybody got tyre changing gear?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Its the Pleats, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

I've just bought some tyres on line. I was planning to take them in to a shop and have them fitted, but then I thought...

I would rather fit them myself - when I say myself, I mean with somebody who knows what they're doing - so I can see how to take the wheels on and off (probably easy but still good to see rather than read about on the net!) and adjust the chain (ditto).

So... does anybody have a tyre changing machine, the appropriate tools such as torque wrench etc and the know how to remove and refit wheels to a Kawasaki Versys?

I don't expect to have it done for free, so I'm open to payment options - beer? cash?

Failing that, can anybody recommend a shop that could do it for a good price and wouldn't get the shits that I bought tyres online instead from them!!!

2. no machine but quite often think it would be worth the investment in the long run, atm though if I have time I just fit them by hand with tyre levers, it's a bastard of a job though
  3. Mate, do yourself a favor and take it to a shop. More than likely, one or both wheels will need balancing, anyway.
    Might be nice to understand the old ways, but really, changing a tyre yourself is a prick of a job!
    You also need something that will inflate the tyre way above stock so the tyre seats properly.

I HAD to do it in the bush twice on my old enduro bike when I was a youngster. Well actually, I was putting in a tube after copping a puncture, but almost the same routine.
  4. Its an easy job, but it takes a few times to perfect the procedure.

A tyre changer can be bought for less than $300 and a balancer for about the same.

Sorry but I'm a long way from sydney! but seriously get the gear, and have a go, look at some of the instructional vids on youtube and if its your first go I'd even recommend getting an old rim and a couple of old tyres and practice on them... It gets easier every time you do it!
  5. i agree with Raven, ride to shop, get off the bike, wait 15 mins or so, pay the man, ride away, no iffs butts or maybees
  6. I recently purchased some tyres from overseas and fitted them my self without any drama, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
    I did purchase a very cheap tyre fitting machine and modified it (google harbourfreight tyre fitting machine) similar to the harbourfreight. About $200.00 from fleabay. To be honest , even after modifying it the best thing about it was the bead breaker and I more or less used tyre levers to remove and install both tyres.
    When I ordered the tyres i also ordered 2 x 8"tyre levers ( harder to damage rim and tyre with short levers) and some rim protectors. I also bought a bigger tyre lever at superchina that I didn't need to use.
    My tyres have tubes (v star 650) so i needed to be a bit more careful but I managed to re use the old tubes.
    The secret is to use lots of lubrication, in my case a gooey mixture of lux soap flakes, applied liberally with a dish mop around the bead. Ensure you keep the bead pressed into the recess of the wheel on the opposite side as you lever it up. I used 2 small c clamps to hold it down but there are tools available specifically for this.
    I also purchased a marc parnes balancer which works a treat.
    I spent what I saved on the tyres buying the tools but I have it now and from every tyre change going forward I'll be in front.
  7. Thanks for the quick replies, this is such a good forum!

Looks like I'll go with the first plan, ride to the shop with tyres strapped to the back and pay the man.

8. If you want a bit od DIY, Could alwayws go halfway and take thewheels off the bike, will be cheaper.
  9. Couple of 240mm tyre levers and you're set. It's all technique. Not much more than 10 minutes work once the wheel is out. If you're sweating changing tyres, you're doing it wrong. Stop and look at what your doing. Sport bike tyres have beautifully soft and pliable carcases/sidewalls, and are the easiest tyre you can find to change.
  10. I heard these 10mins rumors many times, would love to see it in real life
  11. I've done a wheel in 10mins before, trouble is I forgot what I did right! It's all down to technique and patience.

If OP wants to PM me, I might be able to help depending on timing, I'm at Lilyfield. Have a balancer, but really Dynabeads are the way - OP might want to consider.
  12. I want to know where you got a tyre changer for $200 that works with motorcycle wheels, new or not. The adapters alone to go on an ordinary tyre changing machine to make it work with bikes is $249 on ebay.

I agree with you, but what about knobbies/dualsport tyres?
  13. I take my wheels down to the racetrack when a trackday is on and the guys will change them out and balance (racetape the weights though) for $15 each, no questions asked.

PS as for breaking the bead me when me and my mates used to do our own burnout tyres for car rims (unbalanced on stockies). The trick is you lay the wheel down, face up, sit a plank of wood on the tyre as close to the rim as possible. Then reverse a car up the plank (to apply downward force to the tyre) and it'll pop the bead.

I wouldn't try that on anything I cared about though..
  14. You are welcome to come and watch any time that would suit you. I've been meaning to do a thread on tyre changing, with pictures for clarity, but I've discovered my tyre levers were nicked when some b@stard broke into my shed and pinched a heap of tools. I'll get there one day soon though :)
  15. You have to be a little more careful due to the tubes, but the beads can be broken with your feet though, so that sort of makes up for it. Rim locks are a giant pain in the @rse if you happen to have two though. Although I think it was PatB that mentioned the DR has a safety rim on the rear, so that might slow things up as well.
    There's lot of little tricks that make a really big difference in tyre changes though.
  16. If you're in Melb I'd love to come down and have a look, maybe you can supervise me changing my own tyres? I'll get my own tools
  17. I've heard about these Dynabeads, but never actually seen them. How do they work or what exactly are they? Can you use the same ones on a few changes or do you have to replace each time?
    I just got my rims balanced with a valve and no tyre, and don't even bother when fitting new tyres. I don't venture north of 200 though, being old and slow, and my bike is only geared to do a bit less than that anyway. And that's only when riding down a steep hill with a tail wind. He he he.

PS Yeah you are absolutely right, it is just technique.
  18. Is this a compressor needed tyre changer?? Might be worth the investment if it is.
    I use to charge my mates $30 for both ends. Taking street tyres off and putting slicks on, and then the street tyres back on when we got back.
    They were happy, I was happy and the shop never knew....:)
    Even an $800 outlay would recoup itself quite quickly.
    You could do some polishing and or powder coating too. mmmm food for thought
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.