Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anybody got a Hell For Leather Subscription?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MV, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Hell for Leather used to be one of my favourite motorcycle centric websites, until they moved to a subscription based access type thing, so now I can see the blurb & a few pics, but can't read the whole article...

Now, your probably thinking: just pay for a subscription man, it's not that much!

True, but the whole reason I stopped buying AMCN & other assorted mags is because I can get the info sooner on the internetz & up till now, for free...

That said, I really like the site... Do you pay for the privilege & is it worth it?

Oh, it's http://hellforleathermagazine.com/ if you're not familiar with it....
  2. If they make their money from ads(?), and market themselves to advertisers based on hits, then their change to subscription is a bit silly. But, I can only assume they've properly investigated the consequences and predict it will work.

The reason I read the web, rather than buy a mag which has the benefits of sitting in a pile to be re-read in bored moments, is that it's free on the web.

The Bikeexif interview with Les Siler turned me off Hell For Leather more than any subscription cost could.
  3. I missed that one, what was so bad about it?

From memory they don't have any ads at all, which I like.
  4. It wasn't that bad, but he engaged is a bit of mindless NR-style cruiser bashing, among other things. I find anybody with a my-preferences-are-objective attitude a bit boring, arrogant, and I stop listening to them. And when they're a journalist....

5. HFL has turned to shit ever since they implemented that subscription business. I refuse to pay for HFL access just on principal. **** that guy. It's a news blog, I can get my news from a hundred other sites, why would I pay to read it. And his hits are gonna start going down when his web accessible content drops to zero. He even charges for videos he posts up (which you can find on youtube)

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com covers everything HFL does.

Visordown and bikeexif for interviews and articles.
  6. Yeah, I have a subscription. I pretty much got it as soon as it went paid. I still think it's the best single source of motorcycle news and has a pretty good spread of info, articles, reviews. Wes Siler is a cockhead, and an opinionated one at that, but it's great fun to read reviews where he just tears shreds off bikes.

So yeah, I pay for it, and I think it's well worth it. I still check plenty of other blogs, bikeexif etc, but Hell for Leather has some great stuff on it. I'll renew for sure.
  7. Interesting article:
    :rofl: Sounds like rider error, or riding outside the limits of his machine

Either way, I still like the general style of the site, & the writing style is quite good too, whether I agree with him or not.

I hadn't seen Asphalt & rubber before, I'll check it out. Visordown I've not spent much time on either...

I might see if I can dig out the required $24.99 & see if it's still worth it.
  8. Yeah, I really think it is. I'm curious as to how Kyon thinks it's gone downhill, since he can't read actually read the articles. In my opinion it's gotten considerably better.

Asphalt and rubber, visordown, pipeburn etc are all pretty good but aren't really up to par with what Hell For Leather is putting out.
  9. #9 Kyon, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    That's the problem - I can't read any of the articles. I wouldn't mind as much it if he charged for access to his editorials - but you can't even access press releases and videos/pictures that are released to the general public.

Here are some examples:

HFL article on the 2011 Rizla GSXR:

Asphalt & Rubber article on the same thing:

HFL on Mark Monea's 360 front flip:

Youtube video released by Xgames:
  10. Yep, that's because it's a paid site now. There's lots of stuff not covered by other blogs on HFL.
  11. I like to read Cycletorque. You used to be able to download it from their site as a pdf but now it's a web based thingo that gives me the shits. I just make the effort to go to the local bike shop at the beginning of every month to get a paper copy for free.
  12. I get the feeling I've paid too much everytime I read Cycle Torque, it just leaves me... meh.

They usually have some nice pics but.
  13. Cycletorque is free!