Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anybody good with PC video editing?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TarmacSamurai, Feb 20, 2009.

1. I have a bunch of .MOV clips and Studio Version 9 software on an XP PC.

I want to use Studio to put all the clips together into one video file, but studio doesn't seem to recognise the .MOV file type.

Can I convert the .MOV to .avi anywhere easily? Is there a way to get Studio to recognise .MOV?

Any suggestions?

2. Find a converter for whatever the movies you want to put on your program are and what file types that work with the program.

Just google the converter, there's usually something free that comes up.
  3. Any suggestions which one? I just tried one and after a download and loads of added baggage software it converted all the MOV files into avi files that were 0kb in size!
  4. fcuk me. Just tried another one and it converted them to avi files with no picture, just REALLY distorted sound!
  5. OK, now I found one that works perfectly, but it's not free. There is a trial version though, but it turns out the trial version only converts 50% of any source file.

6. :LOL: yeh sorry failed to mention that you might have to sift through a fair amount of crap to find a descent program.

Sometimes peer to peer can be handy and i won't say more than that so as not to suggest anything illegal :grin:
  7. Just found one that worked a treat but was another trial version. This one stamped Trial Version Register Now! across the video in neon green making it impossible to see the footage.

8. OMFG I just hate trying to find converter programs, they are such a pain the farken arse. :censored: :censored: :censored:
    You have to go through hundreds of trial/free programs till you find one that doesn't cut out half the video or leave a watermark all over it.
  9. Have a look here.

Have not tried the program but the site as a whole has great guides.
  10. OK, I think I found one. So far so good anyway - 6th time lucky!

This one seems to be doing the business. If not, I'll try your suggestion, Hipster - thanks for that.

The one I'm using is This One.

Edit: Worked a treat - even connected all the clips into one so I didn't need to put it through Studio after all.

11. Do you have the original DV tapes ????
  12. No, these were short clips shot on a digital still camera - just a little Sony number. This sort of thing isn't usually a problem - I do it all the time. It was just converting .mov to .avi that caused the issue. All done now though.

Thanks for the help.

13. If you have a full version of quick time it has a 'export to avi' option?
    then you can append the segments in virtualdubmod very quickly and without loss of quality.
  14. Thanks for the tips guys. This situation was a one off as I had to get some footage and all I had with me was my little digital camera. I never have to worry about .MOV usually. At least now I know all sorts of ways to deal with it if it does happen again!

15. :)