Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

anybody ever heard of Guillain-Barré syndrome

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by nobby, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Any medical bods amongst us or anybody who know's anybody who has ever had Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS)?

My son came down with a stomach virus a couple of weeks ago and has now been diagnosed with GBS, it's easier to read about it than me try to explain it, but basically he felt numbness in his fingers and toes in the morning, drove to work and an hour later got up from his workstation and fell down because his legs wouldn't support him. went straight to doctors and then emergency, now in Monash and getting around in a wheelchair. Docs say he is out of danger and now needs rehab to get his muscles working again. and could be months before he can walk again.

Funny I always thought if I was going to be sitting next to his hospital bed it would have been a bike related "thing" not a syndrome. Good thing is, he is one of the most positive people I know, now we are just hoping we can get him home for the GP, we have already figured out how to get his bike into the family room so he can watch the race on the big screen, but it will be the first GP he has missed since 2004. Still always next year ...
  2. GBS is a weird thing, nobody really knows exactly what triggers off the immune response that causes the nerve damage. There are associations with certain infections, but the precise mechanism is still unknown.

Hope your son recovers quickly.
  3. :(
    I work in neurosciences.
    GBS is rather rare and exotic. And recovery can be frustratingly slow. Wishing you both much patience and positivity for the journey ahead.