Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any1 heard of these? BT-56??

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by BigFletch, Apr 13, 2012.

1. My bike GT650R came factory fitted with Bridgestone BT-56 tyres on it, I have recently decided to put a tec screw through the rear tyre (oooops).. Has anyone heard of that model tyre as I can't find any info on it? Seems like a ok tyre however very squirmish when cornering at a medium speed and I'm not overly confident on pushing them much harder.. I'm contemplating putting something abit better like a BT-016 on as I have been reading through on here and with some of the twisties and track days I wanna do it might not be worth the risk repairing..

Thanks for any input or advice

Fletcha

2. I had a set of BT-56 tyres on my Bandit 1200S, I didn't think they were made anymore to be honest. They were sports touring tyres and there was a sports version called the BT-56SS.

Maybe the ones you got were and OEM version made specifically for the GT650R? Or perhaps they are old stock?

• Like Like x 1
  3. my gt650r had bt56 as stock - they were ok for general use and my first track day.
    they also have decent life (12000km including a track day), and are pretty good in the wet/cold.
    I also had a screw puncture repaired on the rear, and it held up fine.

i changed to bt16 after the 56's gave out, and still have the rear after 5500km, but the front was absolutely rooted and i had it swapped out this week (got a bt14 now, the older version of the bt16 since it was cheaper and in stock, and i was in desperate need).

check your pressures if you're getting squirming, mine were fine. (should be 32/36 cold).

also you can check the manufacture date on the sidewall of the tyre.

if you're in VIC i'd be more than happy to come have a look at the wear on them and a bit of a feel since it was pretty recently that i had them and i remember roughly what they should be like.

edit: also as the post above said, they're not made anymore other than OEM spec i believe.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks for the input guys, I have searched and Googled and I can't find the 56's anywhere.. Local dealer said they just make them for OEM.. Had the dealer have a look at it today and he said it really needs a new tyre as there is also a slight 1-2mm tear next to where the screw went in.. Will be getting a set of BT-016 fitted up in the next couple days (did me a awesome deal cause the bikes not that old) as didn't wanna risk getting caught in the middle of nowhere with a stuffed back tyre

Pressures I was running were about 32 front and about 34 back

5. Out of interest, what price did you get for them?

6. I think the fairly worn front I just took off the bike I bought last year was a 56 (certainly a fifty-something).

It's a little unfair to rate it, given it was getting low and I didn't know it's age, but a bad shake when letting go of the 'bars has been cured with the new tyre.

I think the 023 is the more current all-rounder, and I hear they're good for that.

I think you'll find the 016 quite decent. I put an 015 front on a little while back, and while I didn't have the bike real long after that, it didn't put a foot wrong in the wet or dry.

I suspect the OEM spec 56 on a Hyosung would likely be the older stock/spec case, or made-to-spec (and price), which either way would probably mean a pretty ordinary tyre.

The new set could well be a revelation. I'd be interested to hear your brief impression once they've had a run.

Note: 32/34 front/rear pressures is getting low, especially for the rear, unless Bridgestone specifies it for the tyre. Around town on the last three bikes, I've run 34-36 front (36 the common pressure) and 38 rear (down from the generic 42). On trips I've bumped them up to the usual 36/42.

7. Murchy, ended up getting a set fitted for 400 front and back..
    Will be getting tyres fitted Thursday, will give up some feedback of the difference I notice Wayned, until then the bike will set in the shed..
    What was said about the slightly low pressures could also be the reason when it felt abit sketchy as well

8. Murchy, ended up getting a set fitted for 400 front and back..
    Will be getting tyres fitted Thursday, will give up some feedback of the difference I notice Wayned, until then the bike will set in the shed..
    What was said about the slightly low pressures could also be the reason when it felt abit sketchy as well

9. the bt16 will feel more agressive - it will be slightly less stable in a straight line, and tip in with a lighter touch.

also the profile is substantially steeper

10. I had these on my Hyo stock. They felt terrible on anything less than a hot day. I swapped them out straight away. Oz I didn't like them. Just wrecked a set of 016s. I got bout 8000km out of them. Front, the edges wore right through with center above wear indicators. Rear, flat spotted to the wear indicators and the edges had a tonne left. The Hyo doesn't have the power to chew the rear out besides downshifting lol

11. those tires are pretty shit dude, get some high quality rubber on your bike, its the only thing keeping it on the road. What is $500 or so vs your life.

go for something like Diablo rosso 2's if you dont ride in all conditions, maybe something like a metzeler m5 if you do.

buy the best tires you can afford.

12. Yer bikes just sittin at work atm, Cant wait to take it for a spin with decent rubber on it though