Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any way to remove chain lube from tyre?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mick526, Nov 17, 2011.

1. so long story short, was using some spray on lube for the chain and some happened to get onto the edges of the tread on the tyre, and was wondering if there is any way that wont ruin the tyre to get the lube off, its not alot, just enough for me to worry as this is my first bike and havnt ridden it much yet.

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
  2. put some kerosene on a rag and wipe it off.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. thanks grumpy, looks like kero's on the shopping list tomorrow
  4. I would wipe off what I could with a cloth or something, and the find a mid-speed left hander (I presume your chain's on the left?) and go back and forth around it a few times, starting out at a very conservative pace and increasing it by a couple of k each time through. Wear it off on the road - just be bl00dy careful at the beginning...

I suppose it depends how much you got on there, but I would wonder if the stuff I was using to get the slipery oil off, wasn't even slipperier and more dangerous...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. You can get low odor kero. It still stinks, but doesn't seem to permeate into the whole house. Don't put is over all of your tyre as it is slippery too, just not us much as chain lube.

The take it easy as Kneedragon suggests.
  6. +1 kd.

It's actually quite surprising how much oil/grease/other slippery crap has to be on a tyre before it affects dry grip to a hazardous extent. A few splashes of chain lube is highly unlikely to land you on your arse before it scuffs off naturally.
  7. Unless it's a continuous coating or there's lots of large spots, it usually means a few squiggles on a medium left hander and then as the blokes have said, it scuffs off.

To save that though, I slip a piece of carboard between the chain and the tyre - oh, and lubing using a rear stand.
  8. I use a piece of old carpet between the tyre and chain to prevent this and usually wipe off any excess which may find its way to the tyre. Never had any problems.
  9. it's not rocket surgery
    oily substance, so use soapy water
  10. Carpet!! ahaha, so that's how the other half live... That's lookshuurrry! lol ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. I thought I read somewhere metho can be used to wipe that overspray off?? Would that be right due to quick dissipation, non greasy base?
  12. I have a sheet of cardboard with a cut out for the wheel hub which I place between the wheel and chain when I clean and lube.

I have never heard of removing with kero and am happy to bow to someone else's knowledge but personally I wouldn't be putting kero on my tyres. It will be nearly as slippery as lube, if not more so.
  13. The thing is, anything that's strong enough to dissolve the chain oil, is just as nasty on the tyre. Soap and water will hardly touch it. You'd need straight detergent - and there we go again with a cure that's worse than the problem. A gernie or water blaster might be good to get most of it off the sidewall. Trip to car lovers maybe?

I don't know whether the light spirits would have any chemical effect on the tyre rubber - metho, turps, rubbing alcohol ... - but I'd be hesitant to experiment. A can of that spray engine degreaser, followed by the garden hose might help.
  14. I use prepsol, a wax & grease remover available from auto paint supply shops.
    Good for wiping down new tyres too. gets the mould release off!!
  15. If that worrys you dont get into old bikes,some oil leaks on the rear tyre sometimes happen.Paper towels in garages can be handy at times.
  16. BUFSOL, Available @ Tyre fitters/services. George
  17. I've used Xenit in the past.

Doesn't do a particularly good job of removing it (takes a couple of applications) but doesn't make the tyre slippery and has the added benefit of acting like a tyre paint for a while (eg makes they tyres look nice and new).