Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?[vic]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dimi, Oct 15, 2010.

1. So how can i find out if someone is telling the truth about how many owners a bike has had?
    This is just out of curiosity but as some people might lie about such issues for whatever reason they find validates it i was just wondering if there was a sure-fire way to find out for sure. Maybe vicroads?

2. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

Yes, your RTA will have the information. Whether they are willing/able to release it to you, I don't know and would depend on their data protection policies. Give them a call and find out. The worst they can do is say no.

3. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

Yup. If you were asking for names or something, it would be a definite "No.", but just a number of owners is a maybe.

4. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

Ok Thanks guys :) Love the quick responses

5. Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

If they've got service receipts, the receipts will generally tell you who owned the bike at that point in time..

6. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

Another great point, gordy. Was going to mention about past rego receipts/service invoices also.
    Hopefully the authorities (RTA, as mentioned) can assist you dimi.

7. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

REVS is one way..wont give u names tho

8. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

vicroads website may be helpful.

9. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

REVS check will not (NSW)

But the equivalent QLD system does.

10. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

NSW RTA has a seperate (from REVS) $16 vehicle history check that says no. of owners.

more useful to you though:
    Vehicle Information Package (VIP)
    ($24.50, includes "how many times the vehicle has been transferred")

11. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

oh very nice information! Just keeps getting better haha sweet as guys, made it very easy!

12. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

1 careful owner.

the other 12 were complete turkeys..

13. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

When i was purchasing my bike, i did a Vin check,

Get the engine vin number, go to Victoria equivalent to QLD transport/NSW RTA, website. and they will have a section where you can enter the vin number plus some kind of processing fee and you get info about the
    model,
    colour,
    how many owners,
    year model,
    etc.

I cant remember but i think it also had info on any finances on the bike too. (correct me if Im wrong).

14.  Top
  15. Re: Any way to find out how many owners a bike has had?

Yep that'll do it too. =D>

16. Now the real question is ... does he know how many owners the bike has really had or was he lied too ? or was he telling porky pie's knowingly ?

Either way.

IMO, if you dont get a good vibe from the person you are purchasing from go with your gut and walk away. There will always be another bike, if a deal looks to good to be true chances are it is and there is something going on.

17. All good and well if all of the previous owners lived in the same state. Up until recently, all of the states had individual databases, collating all of the info into a national database is currently taking place. You will notice in the next few coming months, the rego plates on cars and bikes(victoria) for new vehicles will change, bikes will be 6 digits now and cars will take on a new numbering sequence of 1 number 2 letters 2 numbers 1 letter ( or something like that) this system is going to be national.

Another thing to take into consideration, just because a transfer has taken place, doesnt mean a change of ownership, could be for financial reasons between friends/couples/family etc. And also a bike can lapse rego, and change hands many times before being reregistered.
    Registration details relate to a vehicles permission to drive on a road, not who owns it.
    Registration does not constitute ownership.

18. All true, but, for practical purposes, it's the best information easily available. Call it evidence rather than proof.