Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any tips for riding in windy weather?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Dazshy, May 3, 2006.

1. Hi and thanks in advance if you have read my post and have some much needed advice. I'm new to bikes, having only ever ridden a handful of time up until about 15 years ago, then nothing, zip, nada!
    Got my L's about 3 weeks ago. So far I wonder why I waited so long to ride, but then after a couple of sessions in the wind, and getting blown right across a lane I realize I need some help to live to be an old biker, my goal. Any help very much appreciated!

2. I'm no expert, but I find if I grip the bike with my legs, keep my body relaxed and don't hold onto the bars too tight, things seem to work OK. I haven't been pushed out of my lane so far!
  3. This is a pain on any light bike and there is only a limited amount you can do for it.

Be prepared to lean your bike into the wind as you get hit by gusts. when it comes to going in a streight line with a sidewind lean is worth a lot more than stear. Stay very focused, keep your concentration up, watching for the things that make it gusty (trucks for instance) and get a feel for your bike. you will feel the wind take the bike well before you can see any movement, and as you feel it you lean into the wind using your counterstear if necisary (Don't over do it because you don't actually want to turn)

keep your body prety low as well, you don't want to add to the sail area you are presenting to the wind. but don't stay so tucked on to the bike that you can't lean it. remember to keep that losness between you and the seat. also use your thighs for both feeling and controll. as someone wlese here said, if you can't hold on tight enough with your thighs learn to use your sphincta.

On that most attractive not I'll let someone with more experiance give you the details :grin:
  4. It helps to have something with slow steering and less fairing. It helps to relax.

my VF was very scarey indeed in a cross wind. So is the TCR1. The Kat on the other hand doesnt give a rats. It sort of digs its shoulder into the gust and keeps going in a straight line while I hang on so as not to get blown off the thing :)
  5. Too windy where you're riding?

Stop following PNUT about.

...boom, and indeed, boom.
  6. Grip the bike with your knees, relax your grip and slow down.
  7. yeah never thought about the wind - smaller bikes are prone to getting blow around especially with fairings. i rod over the west gate tipped over on its side so i could go in a straight line
  8. Isn't the Westgate a blast when it is blowing. I have been over with yellow light flashing because of the wind before ... it was a nasty trip... And that was with low traffic. I'd hate to do it at peak hour under those conditions.
  9. When riding in a cross wind, you can counter the effect of the wind by sticking your knee out on the side of the bike that the wind is comming from. This is because your forwarn motion is also creating wind. Your knee will catch wind caused by your forward momentum and assist in turning the bike back into the wind. Just like sailing a boat. :wink:
  10. Thanks Dazshy for asking the quesion, as I breezed over it the other day and then later than day, i encountered a lot of wind and took Falcon-Lords advice. Which worked a treat, thanks Falcon
  11. Not a Prob. good to have helped out.
  12. Small bikes get blown around by wind more.

Faired bikes get blown around by wind more.

To minimise the problem of being blown around on a small bike buy an unfaired 250 like a VTR250 or CB250 rather than something like a ZZR250 or worse a CBR250RR (which is even lighter).
  13. Most responses so far have dealt with the bike and some good advice therein.
    Now about the rider....
    Tighten the jacket in to minimise the sail effect
    Don't wear a backpack - strap it to the seat
    Bring your gear sack from hanging over the rear to sitting on the pillion position
    Crouch down

The bigger the area you present to the wind the bigger the effect it will have on you

Oh and watch your lane placement - if a gust is going to move you over a foot make sure you're not already on the edge / next to the other lane
  14. Oh no mine is lighter then that :shock:
    Good thing i weigh it down :)
  15. I have been riding 5 months and just gotten past the worst of the learning curve on wind (although I don't think you ever stop learning) Everything that has been posted helps - position in lane, gear, bike, the knee, and most importantly relax and use your knees - if your rigid you will feel the impact more than if you roll with it. I have found that if it really is gusting hard and slamming, that if you gently do S's in your lane (over distance) it is easier to correct. Nothing beats practice.
  16. Thank you for all the advice, I must say the past few days have yielded much better riding results for me, and for others here as well it seems. The grip with knees and relax arms tips are the 2 best pieces of advice and just applying those techniques has helped enormously so thanks again all who helped out!
  17. That's for sure! I recently upgraded to a ZZR250, from a humble postie bike... the wind is something that has caught me by surprise. Was never an issue on the postie :)

Had a couple of brown pants moments, riding on a windy day when I wasn't yet used to the bike, luckily was out in the country and not as potentially dangerous / embarassing as mid city. :grin: