Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any tips for progessing from a small to larger bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by jimmyv, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Recently upgraded to a Triumph street 675 and thought I was going great guns. Yesterday I took it for a spin through some twisties and now I am not so sure.

Is it just a matter of practice, practice and more practice or is there a significantly different riding style?

At one stage I was having trouble loosing a Toyota Prius from my rear-view mirrors, Old Kwaka 250 was way faster
  2. Relax, just take it easy and ride alot. An advanced training course may be a good idea if you can.
  3. Just practice - you get used to the extra bulk and weight soon enough, and get more comfortable using the extra power.

When I first got the 750 after the GPX I was rubbish for a while - too nervous to lean it over because I wasn't sure what the weight was going to do and scared sh1tless of what my right hand could do even when I didn't think it had moved!

If the bike is brand new take some extra care, break the engine in and get the tyres scrubbed up, but the bike will probably be ready to go before you are anyway. Take your time and you'll grow into it.

Enjoy the new toy!
  4. Stay Upright, Advanced training day, then hoon/profit.
  5. :WStupid:
    I like the HART ones.
    I think on a 250 you have to try and carry corner speed. on a bigger bike you have so much acceleration you can go in slow, turn quickly get it straight and give it some beans. :p
  6. Tried that on one corner and ended up lifting the front wheel which was fun in a 'oh shit I am going to die' way.

Some sort of training is a good idea, primarily I am very unsure with the throttle.
  7. Whereas the 250 lets you be a spanner with the throttle, big bikes will not respond so kindly.

Get a copy of twist of the wrist II (from store or 'free' pdf online) and read up.
  8. Thanks I found a online PDF for twist of the wrist 2. It will be a great distraction from my uni work :p
  9. I have a print copy, and have found it to be a great source of information. It's very descriptive, and requires a lot of thinking while you read it, but my riding has improved a ton since I got it.
    Take it chapter by chapter though, because it's a lot of information to absorb.
  10. You're on the right track mate. Fear is a good thing. It stops people doing silly things. As everyone has said relax, take it easy and go at your own pace. Your skills and confidence will grow.

I just went throught the same thing comming off a 6 month suspension where the only thing on two wheels I rode was my mountain bike.
  11. :rofl: :smileysex: :eek:wned:

Sory man! :LOL: :p You made my day! :LOL:

Just keep riding, you will get used to the weight, the power and get smoother. One day you'll leave that prius in your magical stardust and you won't know what you did right. I was terrible when i first jumped on the storm, it will become a second skin sooner than you think. :wink:
  12. Haha I am glad I gave you a laugh - I ain't proud :grin:

Could there be any worse or slower car on the road to shatter your confidence when it won't bugger off from your rear view mirrors...

If i was on Kwaka 250 that prius would've eaten by rubber but on this triple I am just trying to hang on
  13. I hate the Toyota Prius so much along with the smugness of their drivers.
    I get the urge to violently ram one whenever Im driving behind one.
  14. Don't even worry about the car and how it's a measuring stick of how well your riding, a well driven car will keep most bikes honest if the road isn't straight enough for a bike to use it's power advantage...just get out there and get used to your bike, confidence comes with experience :)