Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any tips for MOST in NSW

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by VC, Jun 15, 2005.

1. I'm going for my MOST (provisional test) on Friday in Sydney. Does anyone out there have any tips about the test?

I was hoping to set out some witches hats on a deserted road to practise the different bits but am not sure if I'll have the time. Really adviseable to practise?

2. Hi VC.
    If you're doing a full day course, then they should teach you all you need to know and more! (to pass the test).
    The licence skills course is a good course designed to lift your control skills to the next level.
    If you have time to practice anything, then practice doing low-speed u-turns (feet-up) within about a 5-6metre circle. Get your head and eyes around over your shoulder (looking in the direction you want the bike to go) and keep your eyes up, lean the bike into the turn and lean the body out of the turn to counterbalance the weight of the bike. Use the back brake gently and smoothly to control your speed, use second gear, smooth throttle, and try to complete the turn without the clutch. It sounds difficult but once you master the technique it's quite easy!
    Practice emergency braking also by using the "set-up and squeeze" technique, (ie squeezing front brake lever smoothly and progressively to do most of the stopping whilst still using gentle but less pressure on the rear brake (as the weight transfer is shifting to the front wheel).
    Also practice smooth curve riding by getting your eye direction right!--Always look where you want the bike to go (look for the furthest point you can see in the curve, your peripheral vision will see other things such as road surface, pot-holes etc, keep the focus of your vision on where you want the bike to go and practice a smooth throttle usage through curves, even using a "schmick" of rear brake to help you achieve this smooth throttle if necessary. If you practice these skills and do the course you shouldn't have any probs with the test!!!
    Good Luck!---Relax and enjoy yourself and the bike will respond accordingly.
    Cheers Melba
  3. Thanks, Melba. Helpful! I'll try to give these a go tomorrow. When I measured the distances of the cones out in our apartment, it seemed fairly do-able... just didn't want to be blase going into it. Cheers.
  4. Melba, thanks for your tips. I went for the test today and passed without getting any points! Now I feel like a real rider.
  5. Congrats on passing the test VC :D
  6. well done VC, I've got mine coming up in July hope I can do as well as you.

Did you end up doing the full day course?
    Oh where did ya do it? I'm planning mine at HART in st Ives.
    They have a pre-provisional course ending with a skills test.
  7. Patske, yeah, that's the one - the full-day course. I did mine at Rouse Hill. Not sure what HART stands for but the one I did was run by Stay Upright - the same outfit that ran the pre-L course that I did at Clyde.

Not sure if this is normal procedure but they were 'kind' by running us through the test components first up on the program and let us practise the different parts a few times and gave us feedback, etc. Then they got us to do the test straight away so that we wouldn't be stressed for the rest of the day if we had to do it at the very end. The rest of the day was spent talking about roadcraft and then doing a group ride out on the roads taking turns to be in front (behind the trainer). It was a pretty good day. Everyone in our group of 6 passed but the other group of 6 had one fail. If you've got some practise under your belt while on your L's, you should be right. Might be worth running through the different elements a few times the day before or something on a quiet street. Every bit of practise counts, I guess. Let me know if you want more details about what's involved.