Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any tips for holding throttle when cornering & stay rela

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by rob53, Jul 6, 2008.

1. I have an annoying habit of reducing the throttle in some corners when I want to slow down. I know it's wrong and can feel its wrong, but I still keep doing it.

Anyone got some pointers how to break that nasty habit?

Also any tips to keeping relaxed when going round tight corners?

I tend to tense up a bit, but relax when I am almost out of the corner or half way through it.

2. Re: Any tips for holding throttle when cornering & stay

How do you mean? If you want to slow down you will need to reduce throttle.

In terms of staying relaxed, are you tensing for corners that you know well or new corners that youve not yet been round a few times?

Sounds to me like your struggling to relax because your not confident that the bike will go round the corner and get you out the other side OK.
    I know that mentally we all know what our machinery is technically capable of, but there is always doubt when your pushing beyond comfortable.

I read a book not long ago that helped me to understand a little more about the mental side of going faster, which in turn helped me a lot with day to day riding (not fast).
    The book was Keith COdes "Twist of the wrist"

Might be worth a look if what your talking about is hitting the twisty stuff and feeling confident enough to be relaxed while you ride.

Am i close to what your on about or have i tried to read too much into whats going on?
  3. Sounds like your going to fast into corners.

Your motto for corners should be "Slow in, Fast out". Thats what they teach you in riding training...
  4. practice, practice, practice.
  5. By your terminology I'm guessing that you're slowing down too much before a corner, and I suspect the others are right to say that you're not yet confident of the result. Practice, practice, practice is exactly right.
  6. Brake, gear selection, Counter steer and throttle control.

Brake to a comfortable speed before you start turning, select the right gear for the speed your using, counter steer when needed, use constant throttle or power on smooooothly.

Start with a slower entry speed until you can control the bike through the corner better, this will allow you to try different things mid corner without panicking and binning it!

By counter steering you will be doing the following, Turning right you push on your left bar, turning left you push on your right bar. Only a little bit not full lock.

Yep turn the opposite of the direction you want to go. Basically this makes the bike tip in (lean over) more, this will tighten your line however you need to keep a constant throttle otherwise you'll get all wobbly and fall over.

If you think you are running out of black stuff before the end of the corner, you will need to apply more throttle. Not in great clutching handfuls but in a controlled smooth fashion, as well as counter steering more to compensate for the increase in speed.

The above method is a brief over view and are for racing and are not really suitable for practicing on the road, if you really want to learn go to a super bike school or get some advanced rider training and practice it at track-days.
  7. i probably wouldnt try this.
    you have it backwards. :?
  8. you have it wrong 2T. counter steering is when you want to go right you push the RIGHT bar and LEFT bar to go left. :?
  9. It seems to me the crux of your issue is in you're saying "..when I want to slow down..". Is this in the middle of the corner? If so, that points to your real problem.
    Your speed needs to be pretty much set before you turn into the corner. If you've got that right, you should be holding steady throttle until you get to the apex.
    The only reasons why you would feel the need to back off throttle are if you, a) have gone in too fast (and even then the best course is not to back off, but tip in harder), or
    b) you are not using the best line for the corner. most likely turning in and apexing far too soon. But you need someone competent to watch you and check that to be sure.
    Get these right and you should avoid the need to wind off throttle in the first place.
    If all else fails and you must scrub off speed mid corner, a bit of rear brake is your best option.
    (Just MHO :wink: )
  10. hehehe!
    i read through that and skimmed the explanation, assuming it would be accurate!!
    lucky you blokes have your finger on the pulse.
  11. Just checking your all awake?? :roll:
  12. Re: Any tips for holding throttle when cornering & stay

I noticed a similar habit the first couple of times I went out - particularly in traffic on a fairly tight corner with a metal expansion strip across it (freaked me out 'cos I have an irational fear that my front wheel is gonna slide off it!). The secret to mastering it was of course practice - but relaxing and gaining faith in the bike and the tyres was very important. Try the following:

1) Grip the tank tighter with your knees - that'll help you to relax your arms and be more controlled with your inputs. It makes a vast difference

2) If you feel like your not making the corner and are going to drift, rather than backing off the revs (which is a natural instinctive thing to do) - keep them on but countersteer harder. If your arms are relaxed and your looking through your exit to the corner (and you werent going stoopidly fast through the corner) then the bike WILL make it.

3) Practice slaloming and swerving on a quiet road to get used to the way the bike responds when you push down to countersteer - its WAAAY cool when you get used to it and then you'll seek out those corners!!

If there are particular corners that trouble you then get used to leaning the bike with countersteer on some easier corners to increase your confidence - and then try the tricky corner again (and go in slower to start off with!)
  13. You're on the right track as you know that rolling off is wrong. Go into corners slower than you normally do and concentrate on establishing a minor amount of throttle after you've done your braking and are just about to enter the corner. As soon as you have got your lean happening, very smoothly and gradually roll on the throttle, doesn't have to be much at all, just so long as it is a constant increase. And when you come to the exit you can power on as normal. Simply rolling throttle on during the corner will make the bike sooo much more composed.

As others have said, you're tense because you're inexperienced, practice more and you'll get used to it.
  14. Apart from the slow in fast out mantra you need to also look through the corner. Looking directly at what is happening at the front wheel rather than focusing on looking as far into the corner as you can and finding the exit will make you feel as if you are travelling too fast. It's all perception of speed.

Try entering corners slower having already selected the correct gear for the speed you are travelling. Look into the corner before tipping the bike in. Once you have begun to steer into the corner gently apply a small amount of throttle to keep the bike accelorating through the turn. This will give you grip as the rear pushes the front into the tarmac. When you are at the exit, power on and up to the next corner and do it all again.

Like others have said it is just practice.
  15. Re: Any tips for holding throttle when cornering & stay

its not illegal. some books call it throttle steering. ease off throttle tighter line, more throttle wider line.
    having said that its not a good habit to get into.
    you might be turning in too early, which makes you run wide
  16. Get a nice empty carpark and do some really big circles. You'll start to get bored and speed up. Gradually tighten the circle at a pace you feel comfortable at. Then do it in the opposite direction.
    Then, late at night, find a nice smooth round about and start going around it (in the correct direction, right turns)...again and again and again. when you have a nice smooth pace that you feel is right practice approaching the round about and turning. If your butt cheeks can crack nuts you need to relax more. Try a little slower, again and again...
    Bend at the elbows, drop your wrists if it feels comfortable, look through the turn.

When the cops come (they usually do when you go round and round and round a round about) tell them you're practicing and they are usually cool about it. Just make sure you get off the road (at first anyway) when cars come and check the road surface first in case of oil and crap.
  17. :( I must have gone to same school as rob573. i seem to have simalar issues. Why even when i set myself up wide into a corner do i seem to turn in to early. i think i am looking through the corner. I to seem at times to back throttle of mid corner if i think i am going to quick which i know is all wrong. Ithink at times this is caused by not knowing how late you can brake or if i should use more front. You here so many stories of front washing out :cry:
  18. how do you choose your turn in point?
  19. If your entry speed is causing you to lose confidence in your ability to safely get through the corner, then simply put...enter the corner more slowly, and then it won't be so daunting. You can then get on the power a little as you traverse the apex.
    - That's one thing...

If you are having trouble picking the apex in the first place, then that is likely to be caused by several things or a combintation of them all....

So....just a few points...

1....assuming it is an unknown corner and you are fairly inexperienced, then do as I suggested in the first paragraph...it's that simple, and was said earlier by others, also.

2. Secondly, you are possibly drifting in early simply because that's what newer riders tend to do due to their overall lack of experience...your brain wants you to keep away from what's on the outside of the turn, so it makes you get away from it, by turing in early.

3. ...you could be turning in early AND also shutting the throttle off becasue you are'nt looking throught the corner, but rather, "AT" the corner. Look through the corner, and things will slow down because you can see way up ahead....if you look "AT" the corner, then as you approach it, things speed up because as it gets closer, you drift in, and then throttle off.

4. You should be waiting until you can see the road opening up after the corner, then, pitch in to apex...it's a common enough technique that is safer for unknown corners, since it gives you the best visibility.

If it's none of the above, then you probably just don't have enough experience to be fully confident with your cornering, and should go back to just slowing things down a bit and practicing the other points.
    ....and if you can, get a little mentoring done with an experienced rider, who can visibly watch you and correct anything you might be doing wrong, quite quickly, I might add.

20. :grin: Thanks John. you make it sound so simple. paragraph 3 may be what i should work on May be in touch for some onsite mentoring :wink: