Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any locksmiths in the house?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by thecptn, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Well for the last few days I have been considering a career change, I thought about becoming a locksmith, from what I understand there is quite a bit of studying involved, and being an apprentice for a few years to boot, im fine with that, what I want to know is, is it a field I should get into? what needs to be studied? what is it like being a locksmith? the pro's and con's of the job and such, I am all ears.

2. A friend of a friend whom i was speaking to, are in the field and he said the pay is shitehouse while you're an apprentice, and all the good stuff people want to lean, ie lock-manipulation (ie lock picking), isn't until 3rd year.

And apparently a fair amount of study too...
  3. i think it'd be a very rewarding career
    i was thinking about doing it a few years ago, the thought of making a living out of charging today's shit-for-brains society $$$ because they were stupid enough to lock themselves out sounds great. Capitalist Darwinian.

i've taught myself to open locks, god bless the internet, and who knows, in future i might take it up professionally as my fourth career.

as someone already mentioned, apprentic rates will slow you down. as will a negative police-record check. let us know how you go
  4. Speak to qbnspeedfreak . . . . he is one !
  5. One of my mates at work is studying it, i havent spoken to him at length about it, but it seems reasonably full on. He goes to tafe two nights a week, i think its 3 or 4 years all up. There's a fair bit of theory but from what he's told me a bit of practical stuff as well. He hasn't been doing it that long and he can already make keys from existing locks and other stuff. I do vaguely remember reading that locksmiths are one of the professions that are in demand at the moment but i could be wrong. Good luck with it :cool:

6. And that's why no one is taking up trades anymore...."ooohhh, it's TOO HARD!" Apprentice pay is pretty damn good these days, as are all the assistance packages.

Regards, Andrew.
  7. Its not TOO HARD, ITs just that if you live in todays world, and aren't still at home the wages aren't going to get you far.

And this conversation i had with him was this year, and he's only a few years on from his apprentiship, he said something along the lines of $200 a week or fortnight...
    But yeah, can always go through centrelink and get finance aide.

This is the info I was given, by a real locksmith, when I enquired about the courses, dont like it, shove it... :roll:
  8. I THINK the key is......
  9. Just teach yourself lock-picking if you've watched as much MacGyver as I have and thought it'd be cool to learn.

There are a few guides online, and some great books on bypass techniques for locks and mechanisms.

You can buy the tools for sod all from the states.

Then grab a few cheap padlocks from Bunnings to practice on.

I'm going to order their little credit-card set soon, just so they're always on me.
  10. +1 on the little set.

I've ended up using a home made set to get into a mates house, it was all legal, he was there and we were practicing, just a;
    bent nail and filed down as a tension wrench, and a
    hacksaw blade ground down as a rake.

I'm sure it had nothing on the pro sets, but hey, you make do with what you have. :)

Appols to Typh, i was cranky, didn't mean to tell you to shove it :)
  11. [​IMG]
  12. Thanks fellas, I did look it up online, there are a few tafe courses on it, ill have to dig in and see what there is. Some one mentioned lockpicking, I do have a small lockpick set at home, which I brought from the states, I think it was from lockpickshop, Ive managed to picklock many various locks, some times in under a few seconds if I get it right, its a pretty good hobby to get ya self in, http://www.lockpicking101.com/ lots of info right there.
  13. it is illegal to own house-breaking instruments without the proper endorsements. perhaps you should fix some of those 'typos' in your posts, guys :wink:

i choose my words very carefully when i say i've heard it's piss-easy to get a set through customs if you have it addressed to a work address.

to practice, after you've gained the proper accreditation of course (of course!), buy a cheap door lock, and pull it to bits carefully. be careful, there's a lot of tensioned springs you will need. clamp it to a bench, and take all but two of the pins out. work your way up to a full lock. buy a different type of lock, repeat.

it's just like everything else in life, guys. 10% theory and 90% practical, so keep practising. and only use your powers for good!
  14. I thought they were illegal to "carry" but not to own. Kinda like a knife, I guess.

Doesn't surprise me you got them through customs with a work address. I emailed customs before I bought mine to ask if they were restricted. They said "No" and I had them shipped to my door :)
  15. I've not got a wrecking ball ;)

Or a spray can now days.

Also I'd guess as to which state you reside as to its laws... ie; radar detectors...
  16. Your mate is not being paid the award, he should make enquiries.
    Even in yesterday's workd, apprentices got paid fcuk all, it's because they actually don't make you real money.
    However, you win in teh end.
    Why does everyone leave school and expect to be on $45k in this society???

Regards, Andrew.

17. so i got off my ass and googled it.
    it's legal in NSW, illegal to carry in Vic.
    not sure where i got the impression they were illegal. probably because they're fun, and fun things are generally illegal in NSW.
  18. So does that mean you can own them in Vic, but not carry, or illegal to even own? ... If its the latter, whats your guys addresses :LOL: