Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any good, free, software for making animations?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by jd, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Need to put together some fairly simple animations to put into a powerpoint presentation but the inbuilt features of that program I find way too fiddly and limited.
    Anyone know of anything out there on the 'net that can be used for making .avi files or similar that won't cost anything but isn't restricted in any way (ie open source), and won't take me weeks to work out how to use.

2. thats too broad a question..

what type of animations?
    2d or 3d?

blender is a free 3d app and while interface-wise si a dog, it is a brilliant app...
    you could achieve 2d animations with it using an othographic camera

but it isn't a 20 second job...
  3. I had to make an animation for work ... so I wasted time by doing it frame by frame in photoshop. Worked rather well ...
  4. I want to show the interaction between molecules - so 2d would work, but being able to rotate and/or zoom in on things would be a definite plus.

Don't need anything really complicated though, Blender certainly seems like serious overkill - but I'll D/L it and give it a go. I just want to be able to have a few molecules (basically just collections of spheres) and be able to set start and end points, movement speed etc. as well as adding in labels with arrows.

All stuff I could do with powerpoint (and have before) - but it's a pain in the arse especially when it comes to wanting things to disappear or having several things happening at once.
  5. blenders the go for spheres...

i won't pretend it will be fun to work through the interface though.
  6. Yeah I've already had a go at playing with it, think I might need to read the instructions before I go throwing my computer out the window ;).
    Looks like it should be good for more complicated stuff too so might be worth trying to learn how to use it.
  7. There's this program called 'Pivot Stickfigure Animator' that my son mucks around with.

I don't know much about it except that it's very basic, but it might be useful...or useless, you choose. Meh :grin:
  8. Swift 3d, or flash with papervision

Or if you want pure awesome, maya has a free edu version you can dl ;)
  9. Yeah my nephew has the same program I think. Something as simple as that to use would be great, Blender's already starting to seriously piss me off.
  10. Can you manipulate the model, then just take screen-shots / renders and line them up in a .gif animator?
  11. Found one called OpenFX which looks like it'll do what I want without confusing me with a vast array of features I don't need.

Thanks for the help though :).
  12. Isn't most software free these days? :wink:
  13. Yarrrrrr!