Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any Gilera DNA 180 owners out there ???

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by martych, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Hi,
    I've got rid of my Mojito 150 about a year ago and had already suffered 'scooter withdrawl'.
    I owned a Gilera 180 (four stroke) some years back and really loved it. It was reliable, fast and loads of fun. Thing is, I can't bring myself to own a bike I've already had....which brings me to my question.....

What is the DNA like? I'm only interested in the 180 as I'm near 90kg and quite tall. They look great but I've read some really contradictary reports on the net.

Does anyone out there own one of these little machines? If so please let me know as I'd love to hear from someone with no agenda ei, not a salesman trying to off-load one coz nobody wants it etc,.. cheers :grin:

2. Gilera DNA 180

Hi,

I have a red Gilera DNA 180 and can only say good things about it.

I learnt to ride in my mid 40's and as you say its fun and easy to ride.

I weight over 90 Kg myself and around 5' 8". If you are taller than that then you will find it Ok as it sits a bit high for my tasts. I would like to lower it an inch or so if I can.

I ride down the M2 in Sydney each day to North Sydney and traffic permitting can get over the 120 Km's without to much trouble.

Not the fastest acceleration, but given its size and my weight, I am not compaligning.

I have it service by a local bike shop and it was their first work on a scooter. The manual that comes with it is not really clear on what needs to be serviced each 5/6000 Km. I got caught out with the drive belt not being replaced as per scheduled and it shreaded on me while out on the road. But that was mty fault, not the bikes reliability.

Other than that, I have had no problems in aover 20,000 km's of ridding

3. Have a Runner 180 2 stroke. DNA shouldn't go much different, similar weight etc.

4. I had a mate with one about 4 years ago. I had a traditional 2-stroke piaggio scooter at the same time.

While they are a pretty good looking scooter/bike, it seems to me they all the limitations of both a bike and a scooter, and none of the advantages of either.

I want a scooter because they are convenient with the under seat storage and easy parking. I put up with the auto, and being kinda slow because it was so easy to get around, and the upright sitting position is comfy.

But if you are going to get a bike style, why get a DNA? Without storage, and not so comfy, and not very fast when you can get a great 250cc "real" bike for a similar price.

5. They have heaps more storage than the average scooter because of the 'dummy' tank. They're also very stable (like the Runner) because the rider sits astride the bike not with knees locked together like sitting on a chair.
    I get your point about a 250cc for the same price but that's like saying i could buy a car for the same price. (?)

6. Fair enough on the storage, I'd forgotten about that.

Ummm, no. We're talking bikes/scooters. I'm speaking as someone who has owned, and still rides a scooter regularly, has owned a couple of 250cc sport bikes, and now rides a supermotard.
    I think, for the money, you will get better value from a 250cc 4 stroke sports bike. You should try them both out, and see what you like, each to their own.

7. What is the DNA like? I'm only interested in the 180 as I'm near 90kg and quite tall. They look great but I've read some really contradictary reports on the net.

Does anyone out there own one of these little machines? If so please let me know as I'd love to hear from someone with no agenda ei, not a salesman trying to off-load one coz nobody wants it etc,.. cheers :grin:-(/quote]

I have a Gilera DNA 180. Grey and red. They have plenty of power for a baby bike/scooter. I liked it co's it was similar to a bike but auto-till i get my full licence atleast. But it does me well really. And i get sooo many looks-whether they're thinking "What the?" or "Mmm cool!".

8. They are a fun machine and easy to ride.

From what I understand there are not many of them in Australia, so they seem to be holding their value well.

I have only seen 4 in Sydney and one advertised in Qld.

As for storage, besides the dummy tank, I have added the "genuine" tank bag and it gives me plenty of storage space.

9. My DNA

Though i think i'd have more fun if i was shorter. But then i may drop it. Just i feel like im the bean stalk and the bike is Jack. :oops: