Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any Ex Smokers Out There?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Jym, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Hey guys, just looking for some stories and advice from anyone who's quit smoking!
    So I've been smoke free now for 8 days. Im doing it cold turkey. Been through chronic withdrawls, headaches, constipation and the runs, and got over it all.
    There are 2 big things I'm still dealing with and maybe some of you can help!

Firstly, INSOMNIA! I haven't slept since I quit. At first I thought it was related to withdrawals, but honestly I'm over it. I don't have the cravings anymore but I still can't sleep. Maybe it's because for so long having a smoke was an indicator that it's bed time, and not having it my body is confused? I get maybe 2-3 hours sleep per night, and bein a shift worker, that's really hard to deal with. And even when I do finally fall asleep, I always end up waking up in a cold sweat! Any tips?

Here's the next issue:
    Farting. Seriously. I've got gas. Bad! My diet hasn't changed, I'm not eating more junk food to compensate, not drinking more fizzy drinks or drinking more beer, nothing in my diet has really changed, but still, I have constant flatulence! Anyone else experience this?

Let's hear your stories!

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-37.718289,144.836819
  2. This is untrue, you may think you are over it but it will take alot longer than 8 days to get over it.

I quit for 10 Months (cold turkey), started smoking again for about 10 Months and then quit cold turkey again. It's been almost 3 years since I quit. I still have a smoke every now and then and I sometimes get a craving (10 years smoking will do that) but I can truly say I've quit and wouldn't start again.

My wife smokes so I am faced with it daily, that's the trick IMO, face it head on, don't avoid situations where there will be a smoker because then it means you haven't truly let it go and it still has a hold of you.

In saying all this, I think I may go have a smoke lol.
  3. I quit smoking, I only smoked for a year though but everytime you get cravings just go chew gum or brush your teeth, and avoid caffeine for a few weeks
  4. It will take 12 months at least before the physical symptoms go away, maybe longer. And insomnia is a pretty common one although that should only take a month or so to fade away.
  5. Mate, I hear your pain, smoked from 15 to 30, the only excuse that helped me quit was the birth of my first son, 21 years ago!!
    It took me 4 go's stop the ciggies, as I was a courier at the time I chewed gum, was running thru my job, chewing pens, always something in my mouth [keeping it clean here]
    Takes time, takes courage, eay oh so easy to smoke again, but be as strong as you can, brush your teeth alot, drink bucket loads of water, start walking, exercise etc. keep occupied!!
  6. I enjoy smoking, no quitting till im in a box
  7. #7 bulby, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    +1 takes longer than 8 days to get over withdrawals. It took me a good 2 months to get over withdrawals.

I've since got back to smoking, so my advice might be less valid. But yeah. Basically, once you're over the withdrawals, you still need to deal with a habit. Smoking is a habit afterall.

It all comes down to willpower, which I don't have enough of in this case. I got seriously bored after a drastic lifestyle change and couldn't help myself.

Anyhow, all the best on quitting. You've made the right decision :)
  8. There are days I want to smoke my ex the biatch
  9. the whole problem with quitting smoking is it's so easy to let your mind dictate how hard it is.
    that's the long & short of quitting: controlling your mind.

i smoked for 12 years, tried i dunno how many times to quit. never really put much effort into it, just going cold turkey. never lasted more than 2 days.

then i figured out the key after reading allen carr's easyway to quit smoking.
    went from half a pack a day to zero with no withdrawals, no side effects, NOTHING
    the mind is a lot more powerful than most are willing to believe
  10. #10 bulby, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    That reminds me. I started jogging everyday to help myself quit. It worked until I stopped jogging altogether due to lack of time (total of 4hrs commute a day).
  11. even after the craving goes. It's hard to break the habit. When I quit I found I could go all day without needing a smoke, but as soon as I got to the pub and had a pint in my hand I had to have a smoke too.

can't offer any suggestions except as the others have said - just face up to it and accept you will be tempted. If you fall off the rails one night just start again in the morning.

good luck
  12. I had half a smoke once when I was drunk, and never had a cigarette since. Does that count?

This made me lol :LOL:
  13. I used Champix for about two weeks (you are meant to stay on it much longer) and found the whole ordeal, well, very easy to deal with.

I thought it would be really hard. And that was the problem - you can talk it up so much internally when in reality, it's not as hard as you think.

Maybe you should see a doctor about your sleeping problem? Surely they would give some sleeping pills to relieve your suffering.
  14. I definitely agree breaking the habit is harder than controlling the cravings.

I don't avoid situations that would put me around smokes. I still go out with the smokers for the morning coffee before work starts. I just stand a little further away because of the smell, and I don't actually smoke.

I've found that although I'm early in I have no intention to go back to it. I will admit I didn't want to quit, and I enjoyed smoking from start to end. The only reason I gave it up is because I'm sick of living week to week and never being able to pay my bills on time. Totally fiscally related, and trying to save for my upcoming wedding was almost impossible when I was paying over a hundred bucks a week on cigs.

As it's been said, I've got a long way to go, but maybe I will go to the doc to help with sleep.
  15. good luck with your quitting jym, i smoked winnie reds- pack a day for nearly 10 years, not good... i used the gum for 4 days and stuck it out, everyday gets easier after that initial shock...
    i couldnt sleep, had the worst nightmares ever- and would always wake up sweating bad but stick it out it gets easier. i think i sleep better, and wake up better now than ever, dont worry- you will be ok! i would stay away from the sleeping pills, just incase you get stuck on those! try reading, i dont know why but sometimes i cant get through half a page and im lights out...
  16. Good luck Jym, it does get easier, but you never (n my case) lose the desire to have another gasper. I smoked for 23yrs and haven't smoked now for almost 21yrs. Having said that, the last time I bounced off my bike the first thing I did was bum a smoke off my mate .. sometimes there is just nothing better...
  17. I'm on a bike on the road at least four hours a day five to six days a week.
    I am enjoying everything I can get my hands on while I still have the chance
  19. I started smoking when I was young. Being bored little pain in the ass kids with alcoholic and abusive parents we were stealing and smoking ciggies at 10 years of age. By the age of 15 I was a full blown smoker, pack and a half a day. I gave up at about 30 years of age, after my wifes mother had a heart bypass. She was on winnie reds 2 pack a day and was 60 odd, gave up the day of her op.

Well I am now 35, been off the durries for around 5 years. I still get cravings. I used patches to get off them, when through the same bullshit. Insomnia and all that crap. Patches gave me nightmares, all about killing people or dying. Stick with it, its so much better of the cigs. Its a tough road, but its worth it. My life is so much more enjoyable now, even though I still get the odd craving.

Good luck with it. I have kicked a meth addiction and ciggies are tougher than that!
  20. Good on you for quitting. I have never been a smoker, but I have dealt with insomnia. I find it helps if you:
    1. Get some exercise every day
    2. Don't eat immediately before going to bed
    3. Avoid caffeine after lunch
    4. Don't play competitive (especially contact) sport in the evening - adrenaline is really good at keeping you awake
    5. Don't try to make up for lost sleep by napping during the day, going to bed before you're actually tired or sleeping in late (even on weekends) - all this ruins your sleep pattern
    6. Don't look at a bright screen (tv, computer, phone) in bed or just before going to bed