Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any Backyarders out there want to repair/respray my fairing?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by Lukaz, May 3, 2012.

1. Hey all. Had a stationary drop on my ducati 400ss. both sides have copped it, one side worse than the other. If I can help it id like to get it all fixed as cheaply as possible as Im looking to off load the bike soon anyway (work drying up and getting very desperate for cash).

Left hand fairing has a bout a 200mm crack from near the indicator. Right hand side has a smallish dint. Both sides have small chips and scratches through-out. (pic's included)

Im in south east suburbs. Ive already had a few rough quotes from proper panel shops. If I have to pay that price I will but Id like to just try my luck on here first. Will pay cash, and I don't expect a super-duper job. Just want the bike looking half decent before it goes up on the market.

Fairings are already off the bike, and I'l deliver them to you. Willing to travel within reason :)

Cheers guys!

Attached Files:

2. G'day Luke,

A fellow called Dragan has been doing some airbrush/paint work for me for my RHOK Helmet but he also does cars, bikes, xboxes/consoles and all sorts of painting and is also located in VIC....

EDIT: Only thing might be to get them plastic welded (you can do this your self for something that's just cracked....), sand it (the plastic weld glue/stuff) back a bit to give a smooth surface, then get it painted....not sure Dragan can plastic weld but if you're looking for a cheaper job then fixing the crack yourself might be the way to go.

http://www.ld-airgrafix.com/index.php

Tell him I sent ya! :)

3. Streetmaster paints as well as does mechanical stuff with bikes, send him a pm.

4. Thanks for the replies guys. Ive already bought a fibreglass repair kit so I dont mind having a crack at that part my self.

And also thanks for the contacts I'l get onto them right away.

5. Hi lukaz, i was going to suggest fibreglass repair kit.
    Where abouts are you? Im in northern suburbs, epping.

6. Plastic welding won't work. It's fibreglass!! :D
    Read up on fibreglass repairs if you intend doing that part yourself.
    If not done properly, it will crack the first bump you hit!!
    Also you can make more work for whoever does the final finishing for you. :angel:

7. Sorry to threadjack, but are you guys able to repair fairings on a GS500F?

8. Sure can!

9. well i was looking at this damaged bike on ebay, and the only part I couldn't find was the fairing. The item has ended but unless they receive another offer, it'll be relisted soon. Not sure if i'm still going to be getting a bike now though, a friend is selling me his car so I might not have the funds now. Item is here anyway, could make a good investment for someone

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180856797676

10. I'd be cautious of anything that requires a VIV.
    Bent bars,,,check forks & frame. Could need a lot more than just a minor faring repair.
    Could easily spend another $5k repairing it. All up more than a registered, roadworthy bike.
    I've had experience doing cars that required a VIV. Full repair diary has to be kept along with photos & reciepts.
    & then the VIV itself costs just under $500!

11. well shite, definitely give that one a miss then lol thanks for the advice bud. I was just looking for something super cheap but I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out

12. If it sounds too good to be true??