Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any backyard engineers?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by dsyfer, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Anyone like making stuff? I really enjoy making stuff, mechanical stuff.

I was bored one day and came up with the idea of designing and making an Individual Throttle Body fuel injection system for my old EF inline 6 Falcon.

There weren't any kits available or even a manifold for that matter. So to me that justified buying a TIG welder and learning how to weld alloy. So a lot of reading and some help from a few car forum guys this was the end result.

I completely rewired it into a EMS computer, and with a wideband o2 sensor, I could tune it with a laptop on the fly.

The sound from the ram tubes at full song was amazing.

Needed a way to attach a filter, so built an intake plenum.

I plan to find an old bike I can turn into a custom/streetfighter type thing, something like a CB900 or similar.

Anyone else make stuff?
  2. I don't make anything, but I'm glad I now know that you can ;)
  3. I WAS going to say I just made up an alloy bracket to support the Staintune pipe on the VFR, but perhaps I should just shut up :rofl:......
  4. I've wanted to fit individual throttle bodies to my car for a while, the sound is amazing. Great work!
  5. Nice work!

Looks very similar to what a mate spent lots of money on for his Falcon a while back.
    Did sound sweet especially with a massive cam.

I used to tinker with cars extensively. From custom engine mounts, turbo manifolds, intercooler plumbing etc I just never got myself a TIG, one day I reckon I will and do a TAFE course.
  6. i am shut you win,
    --- am in awe ---
  7. TIGs are awesome, there is nothing like welding steel with a TIG, so smooth and quiet. If you can braze with a torch, you can TIG weld, is pretty much the same with an electric torch, you create a puddle, push it along and feed in the filler rod.

This had a decent cam, but as it was being driven daily for a while I couldn't go nuts. Was fun to get to work, check the computer log from the run in, fiddle with the tune for the drive home.

Normal cars bore me, I hate driving them.

This is in the shed now, 1960 XK wagon, original 144 and 2 speed auto.

8. Wanna hot up my '01 XR8 for me?
  9. +1000
    I'd like to think that electric cars will become common very soon, so that the last remaining reserves of oil can be used up in proper cars :)