Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any Aprilia Experts?

Discussion in 'SuperSports' started by ArbitraryEmu, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Hey guys!
    Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot, but anyway......

I recently stumbled across an 2007 Aprilia RSV1000R. I test rode and then purchased said Aprilia not really knowing all that much about it....or Aprilias for that matter.

Someone at work tells me that Aprilia doesn't manufacture their own engines, so I was wondering if anyone knows who's engine aprilia bolted into the chassis?

It a 1000cc 60 degree V-twin and thats about as much I can find?

2. I believe it's an Austrian company named "Rotax"
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. #3 cjvfr, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    A bit of a mix, as Steve said Rotax make a lot of their engines. Your engine is a Rotax design. There is no problem though, Rotax is a highly reputable company with a long history of providing engines to racing and the light aircraft industry.

PS: I should add Rotax parent company is the large Canadian multinational Bombardier who use Rotax engines for the Seedoo range of watercraft, their Skiidoo range of snow track vehicles and their Can Am vehicles.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Cheers guys!
  5. Nice bike by the way, the rsv's changed to a v4 a while ago and I reckon the twin sounded heaps better...
  6. Cheers,
    Yeah its got Akropovic slip ons, so the sound is on point! Also Ive found the power delivery to be really smooth and useable
  7. Yeah I just got a vtr1000 and am loving the v twin power band, it's so useable compared to my little 400/4. Stock exhausts are a bit quiet but I'm in the market at the moment for something a bit louder and deeper...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. If you want to know all about Aprilias try here:
    ApriliaForum sponsored by AF1 Racing, inc.

You will find info on your specific model so it might be worth reading some of the threads to increase your knowledge of your bike.

Aprilia do make quite a few of their engines now, but have previously used others such as the Rotax engine found in your bike.
  9. New to Aprilia myself so dont know too much about them other than they are FRIGGIN AWESOME!
  10. Thanks CraigA!

Yeah itchin, I test rode the RSV4 the V4 sound was really crisp, the thought of launch control scares the crap out of me, and I just couldn't go past the 1299 haha
  11. Having owned the naked version of your bike, the Tuono, I miss it every day. They are awesome.
  12. #13 NeilChristian3, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Hi all,

i am also looking at a 2002 aprilia falco or 2004 RSV1000R.

anyone here with experience on either?

In doing some reading on them, the constant issue that seems to get mentioned is availability of parts. Any aprilia owners, is this still the case? if so, how do you manage if things go wrong?

any advice is welcome! The bike will be used for commuting and weekend fun.
  13. Not all Ape lumps are Rotax - some are 'in-house' built by Piaggio engineering.

Not that there is anything wrong with Rotax - oh no, not at all. Plenty of BMW's out there with the Austrian motor.

I'll have another Ape - I'm sure of it....