Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Any ADF Personel out there?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by MrNinja, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Hi all! Just wondering if there are any ADF personel out there that I could have a chat to about enlisting. I'm considering doing A technical job eg. Aircraft maintainace.

Thanks Ya'll
  2. Yeah feel free to ask anythin ya like. Ill do the best i can to answer your questions. Im a chippy in the army.
  3. Right. Ok whats you general opinion of doing a trade with the army? What is the Employmet training like, is it comprehensive (from your experiance)? Do they Try and fit to much into to short a time?
  4. Ok well im not sure how such trades as aircraft maintenance work exactly but i can help you in the case of carpenter, Plumber, Electrician.

You start off doing your basic training(kapooka) which is 6weeks. When i did this at the age of 17 i hated it with a passion. But it wasnt too bad really in retrospect.

Then you go to ALTC at Latchford Barracks in VIC for what was when i did it a 15 or so month course starting off with all real basics of carpentary. ie handtools. Then you at least touched on everything to do with building a house but it wasnt very comprehensive. Alot of theory booklets and the like as well as toching on concreting plastering painting etc. Also with this time you did all the usual army crap like pt, parade practice, occasional refreshers on weapons and a little stint in the field.

All in all you learn alot of the basics but for me all the theory was pointless because i couldnt relate it to anything without actually being on the job.

From there its on to Steel Barracks in Moorebank NSW(where i am now) to do civie detach work. This part of the training is far better, you get to go out in the real world of construction with builders. You learn alot more going to work everyday doing real jobs and most of the builders are good teachers. This stage of the training goes effectively until you are deemed competent at all things necessarry to get your trade papers. Usually between 1 and 2 years. Again occasionally you have to do all the AJ crap unfortunately.

After that you have to do the engineers IET course which is 12 weeks or something(i havent done this yet) this course covers all the basics that army engineers corps do. Everything from concreting and explosives to watermanship.

To do a technical trade you must enlist for 6 years. To be perfectly honest i regret ever signing the thing. Ive only been in for 3 and a half years and id had enough since the first day. Im sick of how unorganised the defence force is, theyre hopeless. I love doing my trade but hate all the other aj stuff with a passion.

I dont feel that getting a trade ine the defence force is anywhere near as good as doing it outside but its not too bad. When im finished ill have a pretty good idea but if i want to follow it up outside ill still have alot to learn.

In conclusion id say talk to as many people as you can(not recruiters cause theyll lie all day long to get you to enlist) It depends on your personality as to how youll adapt to army life, i hate it but im just makin the best of it until i can get out.

Hope thats helps a little..
  5. come down to coffee night on friday night

i will be there (10.5 years in army)
    scumbag will be there (still serving)
    things vary on the differant types of enlist ment .
    we could type for hours .

or alternativally give me a ring 0425873437
  7. Glen has a wealth of knowledge, so don't hesitate to ask him about anything :p

I can't tell you much about trade as I'm still very green (2.5 yrs), but in case you've got the slightest inclination of becoming an officer, then I can tell you all about it.

Unlike Mik, I'm really glad I signed on the dotted line for 11 years. At times (sometimes fairly often) I wonder what I'm doing here or if its all worth it. Its never always fine and dandy or easy, it's a challenge, it's fun, make alot of great mates, do things I've never would do or have the opportunity to do. Get paid to study, don't have to pay HECS and people call me sir at the end of it hehe :p

I personally think that if you're keen on joining the ADF, then go for it. I'd hate to say this, but I sometimes really enjoy what I do... :)

PS I got your number now Groberts! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAA!!! :twisted: :LOL: :LOL:
  8. Yeah dont listen to my whining too much! Alot of people love it and it suits em perfectly. As for becoming an officer... well i best keep those opinions to myself :p

11 years though ay, fcuk that was a big commitment to maken at 17/18.
  9. Wait a second... your that guy from the tv ad!! :D :D
  10. I was in for 21 years, mostly as a vehicle mechanic. (RAEME) then a little while as a Sysadmin in Sigs

If its still the same trade structure, then what Mik84 said is pretty well right except for the bit about engineers, instead, you'll go to Army Aviation, which I believe only has units in Richmond (NSW), Townsville and the HQ (and training base) near Toowoomba QLD (Oakey IIRC). (might have a unit in Darwin now as well)

From listening to the vehicle mechanics that worked with the "powder puffs" (so called because of the cute light blue beret's :LOL: ) they hated having such a limited posting choice, and the promotion prospects that went with it.
    But they loved the flying (you fix it, you go up in the test flight as incentive to do a good job :eek: ) more chances of overseas service, and better pay (flying allowance).

All Army TRADE training is good, and is certified by the ACT tafe and recognised Aus wide.

PM if you want to know a bit more, I used to be a trade instructor amongst other things.

Oh, and give that officer crap the flick... those pricks are the reason I finally gave up after 21 years. :p

I believe pasionately the Officer training in the Army has been seriously flawed for a long long time. It's not going to be fixed either, as the validation of officer training is done by the officers...

talk about putting the fox in charge of the chook house :shock:

My 21 cents worth

11. You didn't say what Service you were interested in joining, but so far everyone seems to be Army. My hubby and I are both RAAF, and he is an Aircraft Technician. RAAF Recruit training is in Adelaide, just over 10 weeks long. From there if you join as an ATECH/AVTECH you go to Wagga Wagga for your initial employment training for about 12 months. PM me if you have any questions about the RAAF.

12. I feel loved by all... :p

Aircraft maintainance will be either Avn or Raemeation. There's a recce sqn in Darwin, soon to be combined with the other recce.

You'll get the chance to work on Chinooks, Blackhawks, Tigers, NH90s, but we're losing Kiowas and Hueys.

From what I've been told and seen, tradies are the most intelligent kind in the Army and I really look forward to working with them. Maybe in a couple of years time I'll see you around :)

And yes I do star in a TV ad. But it's the Kids Alive do the Five ad... it still gets shown every now and then unfortunately.

"Fence the pool, shut the gate,
    teach your kids to swim it's great. It's GREAT! Supervise, watch your mates and learn how to resusitate..." I can still do the respective hand signals...
  13. Saying tradies are the most annoying kind in the army that just dont give a fcuk would be closer to the truth :roll:

But well take the intelligence thing!

Yeah for sure though, Im Mick Nugent, havent seen anyone else with my name around yet so if ya see me be sure to come up and say gday.
  14. Problem with any management training these days, is that you are often assessed by your peers and superiors rather than your subordinates. Most of the best companies worldwide these days employ 360 degree evaluation, that is top down and then bottom up, so that everyone is audited and assessed by their boss and by their workers.
  15. After 14.5 years in the RAAF I'd had enough and couldn't wait to get out.
    I still look back and think about the good times, the mateship, the travel and the money......and if I hadn't enlisted in the bloody RAAF I would have been able to enjoy all of those things with my mates, instead of saluting people I didn't respect and learning skills that have no place in a real world.

It can be a good life, but NOT everybody is suited to it... I wasn't ..
  16. Mr Ninja, i thought u wernt gonna ride anymore?
  17. Thanks for all your words of wisdom! I will take it all in to consideration when making my desision. Yeah mat I wasn't going to ride..... but I miss the RUSH and the people to much, I'll be on the road again as soon as I fix up my beast.

Have a Nice day!
  18. I spent 10 years in the RAAF as a Firefighter, great job good freinds, unfortunatly the ADF in its wisdom decided to Civilianise the job in Perth so I had to leave, but still it gave me the skills and quals to head in a better direction, I would reccomend ADF to anyone, good training and comradship..

God bless the poor soles whom wont return from Indo
    Least we Forget
  19. Did 9 in Pussers as a medic, like the others have said you get alot of good laughs and mates that last a lifetime.
    Funny thing the friendships you develope you can go years without seeing some of them and just about take up where left the conversation last time you saw em. :)

But you do get some tough times as well , but i recon those times build caracter ( spelling ? ) and make you look at things in a differant lite.

eg: for all those that served with and knew the unforunate soles that went down on the Seahawk on the w/end in Indo i feel for them big time.

I know from experiance what its like to loose mates in piecetime, But its not the end of the world, you learn to get on and do your job regardless of self feelings, bc you can and do draw strenght, from those around you at the time and thats where the mateship you develope comes to the fore !

And if given the chance to go back and change things ? No thanks, those 9 years where the best and most rewarding years i could ever ask for.
    Just wish i could forget forget the recruiting song ....

You'll be wet , You'll be homesick and frightend but the pride of the fleet will be you !!!

yup those words sound so good in Singas ( singapore ) as your chucking your guts up on the local cat piss

:D :p :LOL:
  20. My old man did fourteen years in RN in UK, 10 in submarines. Says that they were some of the best years of his life. Could never quite pluck up the courage to follow in his footsteps but he never minded.