Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Anti-assoc laws affects everyone not just bikies

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by robsalvv, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Protection will be offered to informants who dob in bikie gangs in return for hefty rewards, the Queensland government says.

Queenslanders have been offered rewards of up to $500,000 to help bring down criminal bikie gangs, after a series of violent incidents in recent days.

Cop-turned-criminologist Terry Goldsworthy says the idea has some merit, but it could put informants at risk.
    "There'll be some people who'll be prepared to take that (risk)," he told the ABC.

"... what I'd hate to see is someone actually does it, gets a reward, then suffers serious injury or worse."

But Police Minster Jack Dempsey said protection would be available if it was required.

"... obviously from witness protection to other different areas depending on the level of protection that is needed," he told the ABC.

Premier Campbell Newman says up to $5 million has been set aside to encourage Queenslanders to dob on bikies and their criminal enterprises through the Crime Stoppers hotline.
    He said people could offer information anonymously.

Those who wanted to claim rewards for information would have their identifies protected, he said.

The bounty includes $1000 cash for tip-offs that lead to successful raids on criminal enterprises such as drug labs.
    And rewards of $500,000 are on offer for information that results in the successful prosecution or shutdown of a criminal gang.

Mr Newman has warned bikie gangs to expect even tougher laws than those already proposed following a violent, public brawl on Friday involving dozens of bikies on the Gold Coast.
    The government is pressing ahead with new anti-racketeering laws that include mandatory prison sentences, confiscating bikes or vehicles, and banning convicted gang members from gathering in groups, and wearing club colours at licensed venues.

"That's just the start. There'll be more," Mr Newman has warned.

One senior Bandidos member charged over Friday's brawl is due to face the Southport Magistrates Court on Wednesday.
    Mr Newman said the government would be rolling out forensic accountants to target bikies, and working with the Australian Tax Office and organisations such as Centrelink.
    He said better information sharing would make the most of his government's laws on unexplained assets and wealth.
    "Remember how they got Al Capone? As I recall it was tax evasion at the end of the day," Mr Newman told the ABC.

He said the former Labor government's Criminal Organisation Act was sadly lacking, and that's why the LNP voted against it when it was still in opposition.

He said the LNP government had tried to use Labor's laws since coming to power but they simply weren't strong enough.
    "So we've gone through a process to try to get the Finks declared," Mr Newman said.

"But as you will have seen late yesterday the Finks have said 'we're not going to exist as an organisation anymore and we're all resigning holus bolus and joining as US group called the Mongols'.

"It seems to me that they've just simply sidestepped the Labor legislation."

Mr Newman said he'd speak to the federal government about re-establishing an Australian Federal Police office on the Gold Coast.

He said there were about 1000 bikie gang members in Queensland's southeast corner.

The rewards program was about trying to root them out of suburban locations where they were running drug and other criminal enterprises, the premier said.

.... http://au.news.yahoo.com/queensland/a/19204524/dob-on-bikies-and-get-rich-quick-in-qld/
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Does this mean that the rewards are only offered in relation to OMCs or does it apply to other allegedly criminal organisations?
  3. They already have too many people informing on the government.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. With half a million on offer you'll probably find that rival gang members will be dobbing each other in to the cops....which of course will lead to more violence.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. I call bullshit on that number. Maybe if you include Prospects, hang arounds and other associates may be. But full patch wearing members, I really doubt it.

As for the reward for 'dob in a bikie', why haven't they gone after real criminal organisations with the same vim and vigour.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. How do you know they aren't doing it? Just because it's not on the news down in the southern states...
  7. Why split hairs as to whether they are full patched or not? The noms and hang-arounds are just as involved even though at a lower level, and do a lot of the leg-work. Cannon fodder I suppose you could say.

The pricks seem to think they own the place >>>

People are sick of their posturing and thuggery and riders are sick of the way they bring motorcycling into disrepute. :(
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

8. All valid comments, I feel, but I'm wary of being tarred with the same brush just because I ride. Nan and Pop drivers aren't likely to know the difference between a HD and a Suzuki, or a law abiding motorcyclists from an outlaw biker. They'll just see someone on two wheels and make poor assumptions, especially if the media keeps hyping the whole "bikie war" thing.
  9. Their is a vested interest here by the Governments and the local Police to make a Bogeyman that they can use to extend their power. Classic Orwellian "Perpetual War" Campbell Newman wants to be seen as a stereotypical conservative "Strong on Violence". If there is a crime then the police have current investigative powers to deal with it. I see no need to ban people from owning businesses because of their personal associations nor to extend police powers in this regard. The ban on businesses is fundamentally flawed. Those that use such businesses as fronts will choose other businesses to front their trade. Those that are legitimate are denied a livelihood. Like a lot of Government rhetoric it will achieve nothing.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gun Fight At The OK Corral

The Battle of Little Bighorn

The Battle of Long Tan

Fisticuffs and Furniture Throwing at The Smoothie Shack Juice Bar Cafe
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Spilled Latte at Starbuck de Scooters

ok, I don't get where you were headed but I tried anyway.
  12. When did you last here of them offering such rewards for information regarding say pedophile rings, or Asian crime gangs, Mafia etc.

Why split hairs, really? Come on Fractalz I gave you more credit than that. Oh well.

This is making out the EVERY member, associate and friend is a criminal. Sorry but that's just not reality.

You all seem to have also missed the news report on the supposed crack down on bikie violence on the Gold Coast that netted 28 arrests on 46 charges yet only one of those arrested was an OMC member (a prospect at that).
    • Like Like x 1

13. Actually there are standing rewards on offer for information leading to conviction for quite a number of serious crime types
  14. #16 jdkarmch, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2013
    There is a very good piece in the HUN today written by Charlie Bezzina, where he basically accuses the cops of having no idea as to how to deal with OMCs. As I see it the cops have little of no understanding of how OMCs operate, the history that led to their existence, and how to communicate with OMC members. Once upon a time, they had it right and were able to monitor OMCs successfully. Unfortunatley, all the experienced staff they had have since been sacked. Now they are paying the price:

Lessons on how to deal with outlaw bikies should have been well learnt already
    • OCTOBER 02, 2013 12:00AM

A Bandidos funeral in Geelong. Source: News Limited
    MAKE no mistake: What's going on with outlaw bikies right now is urban terrorism.

These latest attacks on bikie clubhouses and businesses are mostly shots across the bow.
    But it could easily escalate to the cycle of killing we saw in the gangland war. The worst-case scenario is that we end up with another Milperra Massacre. That was the terrible incident on Father's Day in 1984, when a public shootout between the Bandidos and Comancheros left seven people dead, including a teenage girl who had nothing to do with either club.

We should know more about how to handle outlaw bikie clubs, because we've been down this path before. Lessons should have been learned from that tragedy. Instead we are paying the price for the decision to get rid of our specific police units that knew everything there was to know about outlaw clubs. We lost years of understanding about how these groups operate and what they are doing. The amount of intelligence that has been lost is devastating and has really given the criminals a headstart. Today's police are effectively starting from scratch.

The bikies have the weapon of loyalty that is so very difficult for law enforcement to break. Infiltration is a difficult prospect for police trying to gather intelligence on the inner workings of a club. The clubs rely on the knowledge that there is more for members to fear from within the group than outside it. They have their own way of looking after each other, and very strong ideas about retribution. At the moment it seems that the criminals are two or three steps ahead of the law. And they know what they can get away with. They can afford the best barristers, and have already shown both here and interstate that they will take on any effort to curb their activities through legislation by going to court.

In my early days in the force we had the consorting squad, and then the laws were tough. You'd get 12 months just for being found with another convicted criminal. But that didn't fit in with the notion previous governments had about human rights. New criminal association laws require an element of organised crime and are rarely used. They are pretty pointless really - if you could prove there was a crime involved you'd be charging them with that, not worrying about consorting.

The tax man should be working overtime on some of these high-profile bikies, like they did with Al Capone in the Prohibition era. SURELY I'm not the only one wondering how blokes who have never worked a real job or who have just gotten out of jail are managing to live in penthouses, drive flashy cars and own all manner of businesses. I can't see the new fortification laws being a great deal of use, although I applaud any step that sends the message that we're serious about the problem.

Clubhouses might be fortified because it fits the image of the outlaw: the high fences, wire, security cameras.
    In reality very few drugs or guns are found when these places are raided, because bikies aren't as thick as they look. That sort of stuff is kept at safe houses. And the sort of weapons used recently are a real worry.
    The sheer firepower can be such that the intended target will almost certainly not be the only victim.

The "war of attrition" approach - grinding groups down by raiding clubhouses, stopping for roadworthy checks, etc. - is generally a good one for sending a warning that everything they do is on the police radar. But it is disconcerting that things are escalating despite efforts to target outlaw club activities since the shooting of Bandido Toby Mitchell some time ago.

Normally, bikies try and avoid police attention as best they can, but when there's conflict between gangs that changes. They won't back away or let the law take control. What we need is a concerted national approach - a national policing unit drawing on all states. And it must be a proactive approach, not just investigating things that have already happened. Knowing what groups are doing overseas, who is coming into the country, where club members are nationally and so on.

Maybe we haven't done this in the past because it simply costs too much. But the cost of not doing it might be an innocent life.

Charlie Bezzina is a former homicide detective
  15. We'll have to agree to disagree mate. You're preaching to the wrong choir on this one.
  16. No disrespect mate ... you are technically correct but miss the point. These gangs are like (and often are) multi-national companies ... with some permanent employees and a load of part-timers / casuals who can quickly be laid off without redundancies because they don't have contracts. Bit like some govco departments up here :cautious:

The Finks patch over will no doubt be causing consternation in the legal halls and offices ... who hasn't seen big corporations do similar to avoid penalties / taxes or some such. There are tensions on the ground here that you cannot feel located away from the scene as you are.

Of course 'Can't Do' Newman is falling straight into their hands wit his 'tough stance' ... that amounts to free advertising for recruiting. Actually there is a lot of recruiting going on up here in recent times through all sorts of avenues. Remember these are businesses ... noting more and nothing less.
  17. What disagree/agree? I asked a question. If you can't answer it then that's fine. But don't give me the 'agree to disagree' crap.
  18. #20 Tas man, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2013

Your position seems to be that they are being targeted as a group. I believe differently. I believe they are being targeted for criminal behaviour, nothing more complex than that.

That these people associate with each other - it is a product of the situation which they themselves have setup.

Whether you think exactly what I wrote is crap or not - that's your opinion and you are welcome to it.

You obviously choose to associate with so-called "outlaw motorcycle clubs" and that is your choice. You have derived opinions from that.

For my part - a I have derived opinions on the behaviour and actions of many indivduals who happened to be members of outlaw motorcycle clubs. I also know for a fact the criminal behaviour undertaken by those people, under the auspices of their club(s).

Pretty good chance we'll disagree on the outcome of this discussion from here on in. So I'll leave you to it.

Edit - as to how many reward offers "target" certain groups? I have no idea in total. But is this targeting a group, or a behaviour? Chicken and egg time.