Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Anthony's Cutting - pffft, piece of cake

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by maplegum, Nov 9, 2010.

1. I travel along this stretch of road twice a day in my car. I see 1st hand the idiots, the trucks etc that scare me enough in the cage. I was a little hesitant to try it on the bike but when Hubby said "it's really just another road", I thought - "what the heck, I can do this".

We headed out after work into Bacchus Marsh to do some things then onto the Westent Highway. I had a rather scarey moment when trying to merge onto Anthony's Cutting, a huge truck was barrelling down and didn't look as if he would change lanes to let me in to merge.

Rode into Melton to test out my skills in traffic - my 1st trip in heavy traffic. I managed to do some round abouts and traffic lights and actually felt rather relaxed through it.

So, that was a big ride for me with lots of 'firsts'. I'm so glad that Anthony's Cutting wasn't the big scary road that I was expecting. I kept up with the traffic all the way.

My little 250 Suzuki struggled all the way home though. I had her maxed out at 100kph as the wind was shocking and it is a huge climb all the way home. Having said that, I did manage to overtake 2 trucks at one point on the highway!

Riding in the wind really took it out of me tonight. I had to fight it all the way home, but a good ride none the less.
  2. Sounds like you had a great day! :) I love riding :D.
    It sure can be tough and tiring riding in the wind, especially if its gusty and changing direction.
    Have any moments where you leant the opposite way to the corner because of the wind? I have leant substantially to the left while going right around a corner :D.

Id sooner ride in the rain then the wind - and i experienced my first hail ride last night. Glad i had several layers because it still stung at 100kph. Lasted 10min before i reached a servo with a roof :p.
    So far i havent suffered rain AND wind... not looking forward to that one.
  3. I remember being on my 250 and being blown about by the wind - sometimes I felt like a windsurfer or a kite on the end of a rope......only there was no rope......:) Congratulations on so many firsts!!
  4. I've done Anthony's cutting on a bike a couple of times and HEAPS of times in the cage and all I can say is
    By way of explanation for those that don't know the section - it's not a terrible road as the surface is good, the bends are quite open and the drop isn't too massive, what makes it frightening for a learner and anyone a little nervous is everyone else driving it. As it is a good quality surface with bends and drops drivers tend to "have fun" on because it's an extremely welcome change from the monotony that is the Western Highway. Well done maplegum on adding to your bag of experience.
  5. Once upon a time I lived in the house at the top of the cutting with the big green gate, was before my driving days let alone my riding days though.
  6. Where is it?
  7. Western Highway between Melton and Bacchus Marsh.

The cutting is soon to be replaced altogether with a totally new bypass.

IMO the western end is the worrying bit due to the bumpy, off camber curve. The bumps tend to have inattentive drivers bouncing all over the place, sometimes across lanes, with many major accidents resulting.

Maplegum, I don't mean to be rude but can I pick you up on one small point: It's never another drivers' responsibility to change lanes to let you merge. You need to adjust your speed to slot in ahead or behind. Safer that way.
  8. :oops: Oh, ok, I rode through there on sunday, coming back from a bucks party in Hamilton.
  9. You are right there. I was getting onto the highway right at the Anthonys Cutting entry from Bacchus Marsh. It is a very small entry - I'm sure you know the entry I mean if you are familiar with the area. It's a difficult entry even in the car. Before hand, I told my husband that I didn't feel comfortable tackling that entry, but before I knew it, I was there. I should listen to my gut and as I certainly was not ready or experienced enough. Lesson learnt. It's a 90 kph zone on Anthonys Cutting and I was traveling at 80kph. My husband pulled me aside and gave me a lecture about how important it is that I build up that speed to merge. I guess I got a fright with that big truck.

I can't tell you how many accidents I have seen on that stupid stretch of the road. Trucks rolling over on a regular basis. Can't wait for the bypass to be completed.
  10. Starting at the top of Anthony's Cutting and heading towards Bacchus Marsh.
  11. I live in Bacchus Marsh and I've ridden the cutting plenty. My first time merging and going over 60kph was in the cutting on my little xv250, and it was nerve wracking to say the least. It didn't help that I almost missed the turn into the cutting and slammed on the front brakes, nearly losing control and falling off..8-[
  12. Hahaha, I shouldn't laugh but it does make me feel better! I live in Dales Creek, just out of Greendale so I'm used to the rides through the mountains pretty much. It's just the trucks on Anthony's Cutting that I'm scared of!
  13. Ah, the fun of making the "too fast" sign show "ERROR".

14. I'm sure those signs show "Too Fast Slow Down" regardless of the speed you're doing lmao
  15. True. Tested it. "Too fast Slow Down - FAIL"