Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ANPR vehicle only scanning oncoming traffic? Bike safe?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Nucleotide, Jan 4, 2011.

1. I rode past an ANPR (Automatic Number Plate Recognition) vehicle today and decided to turn around and ride past it a few more times to see how they are set up. It seems as though they only scan oncoming traffic - so they will read the number plate on the front of your car.

They have one setup on the main road just around the corner from where I live. There are 4 lanes of traffic, 2 going each direction. 3 highway patrol cars were scattered in the area not more then 200 meters apart. 2 marked Holden sedans and one stealthy, completely unmarked Holden wagon.

Anyway, my question is, do these ANPR vehicles/cameras only scan oncoming traffic? If that's the case, anyone riding a bike unlicensed or unregistered wouldn't get picked up.
  2. They tested one of the early versions of this from a white van parked near my house a while ago - and that was definitely set up for reading rear numberplates as it was on a dual lane road and could not have possibly seen oncoming cars.
  3. If you drive past it in the direction it's facing, your rear will eventually go into it's line of sight...
  4. The vehicle I seen today was facing forward in the direction the traffic was travelling but the camera out the back was facing the opposite direction so as to read on coming traffic.

I guess it depends on how they set them up on the day I suppose. Maybe the one camera can read traffic in both directions but on a busy road though, especially when multiple lanes on involved, the camera isn't going to catch much traffic going in the opposite direction as it's going to be blocked by the traffic on one side.
  5. Found the article the local paper ran on the ANPR they tested here:
    Surprisingly effective given the town only has a population of 100,000 or so. Also wasn't easy to spot, looking just like any other white delivery van. It was only the fact a white van didn't normally park in that spot that stood out as odd to me, wasn't till I read the article I found out what it was really doing there.
  6. It will read number plates going in either direction (front or rear) depending on the angle of the camera, angle of parking, width of road etc.
  7. The one I went past wouldn't have been easy to spot had it not been for 2-3 cops sitting in the bus stop just up from it. As soon as I seen them I thought "wtf is going on here?" and then I see this blue VW van parked on the side of the road with this white camera on a pole sitting on the side of the road right next to it.

If you drive up behind it the whole back of it has bright red and yellow lines going across it - I guess to make it easy for people to see if they are coming up behind it. Considering it's parked right on the edge of the road the last thing they want is some idiot not paying attention to run straight into the back of it.

From what I can gather, they scan for unlicensed drivers, unregistered vehicles, stolen vehicles and other vehicles of interest - whatever "other vehicles of interest may be"?!!? What about motorcyclists who are on their L's or P's for instance but riding a bike not complying to LAMS? Could ANPR pick up on this as well do you think? I can't think of anything else motorcycle related other than the normal unregistered, unlicensed riders or stolen bikes.

Ahh technology... got to love it. :)
  8. One I saw was a lot more discreet than that. No external markings, no uniformed police visible, and the camera was actually inside the van pointing out through the open sliding door.

Could potentially be used for picking up restricted riders on non-LAMS bikes if the bike was registered in their name. The more worrying possibility is its use in identifying, and harassing, riders/drivers with previous infringements - even though they may have learned their lesson and changed their behaviour.

I'm all for its use in identifying unregistered and/or unlicenced riders/drivers though. Just a shame the worst offenders seem to keep getting let off with licence suspensions (which they only ignore anyway) because their lawyer comes up with some story about how they weren't hugged enough as a kid or some other BS.
  9. Absolutely agree! (y)
  10. In theory it could pick up LAMS violations.

Once it scans the bike rego plate it cross checks the owners licence status.

If either comes up as un rego'd or unlicenced it flags a warning and the Police up the road pull the vehicle over.

It would be a simple enough thing to have the software spot a restricted rider owning a non LAMS listed bike.
  11. There are issues with the unlicenced driver stuff - just because the owner has lost his licence doesn't mean that no one else will drive it. In fact, a figure I heard (unofficially) was that about 60% of the cars stopped because it picks up that the owner is unlicenced are, in fact, being driven by someone else (usually another family member).
  12. I'd assume that "other vehicles of interest" would refer to things like vehicles registered to persons with outstanding arrest warrants and suchlike.
  13. And fair enough too - gotta keep those cars ticking over as well.