Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another 'what bike is best for me' thread

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by DerekL, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Yeah, sorry guys. :nopity:
    I'm 19, have just got my RE licence (in Queensland).

I have about $3500 to spend on a used LAMS bike. I'm going for the most powerful bike I can get for that - prefer either the sportsbike or naked look. I just want to get a few names off you guys to look at.

So far I've been looking at the
    CB400 (obviously out of my price range, but I've rode a couple and they were very nice)
    Hyo GT250R
    GS500F (Dealer has one nearby not far out of my price range..)

2. #2 17SJS, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    GS500F was my choice. Virtually unbreakable, cheap parts, easy to work on yourself. Don't look too bad either.

Plenty of power, until you ride something faster...

3. Have you got your gear yet? If not, I'd reckon you should allow at least a grand to get yourself some gear (if you're not up on gear, do a search here coz there's a few good threads on getting the right gear when you're starting out).

Assuming you haven't already got gear and I've just slashed your budget down to $2,500 or so, you may well be limited by budget!

If you're thinking about servicing it yourself (save cash, or some people just enjoy that sort of thing) then look into that aspect - lots of people rave about the GS500 and certainly I loved mine as a learner bike.

Personally I wouldn't be toooooooo hung up on the power just now, unless you've been riding dirt bikes for years and are already familiar with the mechanics of riding. Chances are once you're off restrictions you'll want a bigger bike anyway so don't feel you need the biggest, baddest bike right off.

Good luck and happy hunting.
  4. i had a gpx250, was a great learner bike.
  5. What about a CBR single R? You might get one with some k's but then again a 20 year old bike is always going to have some k's. Those bikes seem bullet proof. If you have never ridden before there is enough power/speed there to keep you happy for a while. Although speed and power should be the least of your worries. You need a bike that is reliable and handles well so you don't into too much trouble.

If it were me I would be looking at something a bit newer maybe not as "cool" "fast" etc and spend the time to develop my skills both in becoming a better "rider" and in being a safe road user on 2 wheels. Like with anything in life, there are no shortcuts you have to do the hard yards mate. (apologies for the lecture) had a mate back in the day who said the exact same thing and got him self into all sorts of trouble.
  6. There's your short list.

With your budget you can either have a very good GPX, or a slightly tired GS500 (either one is a better option than a completely f*#ked, ie cheap, CB400 - or any Hyosung).
  7. Not to start a flame war here.

<<quoted material removed>>

The rather stereotyping and rude response was rather unnecessary..
    I've had riding experience. When I went for my licence the CB250's and other 250s boring me after about 20 minutes. Hence, I'm looking for the 'most powerful bike' I can get for the cash I have (which isn't much, hence it won't be powerful anyway). That's my 'justification'.

<<quoted material removed>>

It's relatively bewildering to look at the huge list of learner legal bikes and try to research and compare them all. I'm just looking for a few names that are recommended by other riders. Sorry.

Gear is factored into the budget of $3500 already

Thank you very much for the help so far everyone : )
  8. Just a little random question - is it just me or do bikes seem much cheaper in Victoria or South Australia? Is there a reason for that or am I just seeing things?
  9. Having recently been in the market for a bike, I noticed Victoria was cheaper too. More available maybe, too cold during winter? I dunno.

VTR's and Hornet's are popular naked LAM's bikes, the VTR is good fun. If your finding 250's underpowered maybe look at a 400 or 650. I've seen a few cheap VFR400's and Hyo 650's around.
  10. CT110, best bike ever....
  11. as a former dirt rider myself i can assure you that your "mad dirt skillz" count for precisely shit once you're on the black stuff. try sliding the back and you'll be sliding on your back. or your head.
    the most powerful lams bike is the honda RVF400. but you're looking at $8k for a sodomised example. realistically, buy something old(ish), not korean and learn to navigate traffic while keeping the shiny bits on top. forget power, you can't afford it

you're asking far too much. every model made improvements over the previous version. what you're actually asking for is an evaluation of each year model of each lams approved bike. that's something in the order of 200 bikes. and you can't even compare identical models because they all have their own quirks. i know people with the same model and year bike i have who have had problems i haven't, and vice-versa. go out there and test-ride bikes. THAT's the only way you'll know what feels best under your bum
  12. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. I've been looking at mid-displacement non-LAMS bikes for over a year now and every now and again see bargains in QLD.

The GPX250 has enough power to keep you entertained for all of three hours. After that the only way you can go fast on it is to learn how to ride, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but can be a pain in the arse if you have the need for speed.

When looking at LAMS bikes you may need to look at the less popular ones to get a good deal. For example, a Kawasaki ER-5, see here. It has ordinary brakes and suspension but kicks out a decent 50 hp from a torquey twin cylinder engine. Being a naked it will cause you less pain if/when you drop it.

Don't touch the Hyosungs, they're reliability record is unacceptable for 21st century engineering.
  13. +1 baddest lams bike out
  14. @TheForgotten
    You've got something dislodged far into your arse.

Don't be unreasonable. I can't control the amount of wheelspin that would kick out.

Cheers for that. I have to say the price is tempting though.
  15. Look at things like the Suzuki Bandit 250/Yamaha Zeal etc. They're neat little nakeds and will fit into your price range.
  16. yeah your mum was a bit rough
  17. Pretty much all of the grey imports now come in through just two importers - both based in Melbourne.

The glut of overpriced imports seems to drive down the prices of bikes which are less appealing to those only looking for something shiny and which will be considered "acceptable" by their mates - who have never ridden before but are nonetheless experts on whether a bike is "fast" or not (usually based on nothing more than whether it has a fairing, and how many brake rotors it has).
  18. :rofl:
  19. Ease up derek, the forgotten has a point. Dirt riding skills don't translate to road riding skills AND power in a LAMs bike is an oxymoron. They are LAMs for a reason. They are not powerful.

With that in mind, buy something cheap. Buy hyosung. Buy something you can learn on and save your money for something decent. LAMs bikes are not decent.

Hyosungs are cheap. To buy, to service, to own and to repair. Everyone raves about how much they break down but, knowing quite a few Hyosung riders, my famed Kawasaki Ninja (alledgedly a "bulletproof" bike) has more problems then their bikes.

Buy something cheap, do the work on it yourself and spend the time learning. Thats what the restriction period of your license is for. Learn how to ride, learn how to service/look after you bike and learn how to get the rubbery bit down and the shiny bits up.

20. Hyosungs have a very bad reputation on this forum and rightfully so. Two frequent NetRiders, Stigger and Dougz, had engine failures necessitating rebuilds with less than 20,000 km on the odometer. A work colleague of mine has had a similar experience. Given that Hyosung copied a tried and true Suzuki design (which they had intellectual rights to), there is simply no excuse other than substandard quality control and production engineering.

As far as the Kawasaki EX250 / ZZR250 / Ninja 250 is concerned, it is the engine that is renowned for being bullet-proof. The rest of the motorcycle is susceptible to all the usual problems with a motorcycle. For what it's worth, the aforementioned is consistent with my experience over 50,000 km of use and abuse on a ZZR250.

There are plenty of cheap and reliable learner-legal motorcycles out there. Finding a bargain is a matter of time/place and patience.