Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another upgrade thread

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Riley, Jan 8, 2016.

1. 2006 CBR600RR

1 vote(s)
  2. 2007 GSXR600

0 vote(s)
  3. 2011 GSXR600

1 vote(s)
  4. Other- Name in comment

2 vote(s)
  1. Oh no, another upgrade thread, however this one might be slightly different, at least from others I've found.

Ive been riding my Honda Hornet 250 for a while now, and its 2 months till I come up for my full licence. The bike has been great, however the suspension is too soft for me, and the upright position doesn't inspire confidence in the corners for me. To give you some background, I'm 5'10" and 90kg naked (picture that ;) ). I live in the suburbs currently, however Im moving to Sydney's Eastern Suburbs and will commute to work in North Sydney daily, along with fun weekend rides when I have the chance.

Im looking between 3 bikes; 2006 CBR600RR, 2007 GSXR600 or 2011 GSXR600, different ages but similar KMs, which brings me to a few questions:

- Will the older bikes feel "old", as in worn out suspension, faded and feeling run down?
    - Is the 2011 bike worth the extra cost over the older bikes?
    - Is it worth getting the GSXR for the lust factor, over the "more reliable" CBR?
    - Which one would you all personally go with?

Ive already sat on a few naked bikes, namely the new GSX-S1000 and the Street Triple R and im not a fan of the feel while standing still, plus the price is a stretch for me, so naked bikes are out. Litre bikes are out due to the ridiculous cost of insurance, plus I would prefer a 600 for now.

Im really in a conundrum right now, so id appreciate any help.
  2. MV F3 675. Live the dream....
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Have you upped the preload on the hornet?
    Regarding seating position its how it feels after 3 hours on the bike and there's still two hours to get home that counts. Sport bikes are fun for shorter rides but not your great tourers. If you're having problems with posture on a little bike you might want to do a course before you get something bigger.
    PS I can tuck in on my street triple.
  4. This, though I'm guessing the others are a bit cheaper. Daytona 675 I'd be look at too.

I like the look of the CBR600rrs, wouldn't get a gixxer due to the message it sends the world.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. CBR rider reporting in. With the CBRs see if you can stretch to the 2007 onwards version. It was much lighter, got a brand new engine with a ton more mid-range grunt, and had a steering damper as standard.