Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another tip - Bike moving around

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by raven, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I have noticed a general trend with newish riders, being somewhat nervous, or completely caught off guard and losing confidence, if their bike moves around enexpectedly...
    It's an instinctive and natural survival reaction, so don't feel awkward with this subject, if I happen to strike a chord somewhere. :wink:

Comment: Yes...bikes will move around uninitiated. They are supposed to...and it is something that you need to accept as a rider.

For whatever reason, new riders can be disconcerted by it - treat it as if it is something that should be feared, when really, it's perfectly normal....
    It's not like a car, where your position within it, is pretty darn stable - afterall, if a tyre has a little slip, you probably would'nt notice it, whereas on a bike, it can be seen as a pretty big deal for someone who is afraid of the bike moving without their control.

Having your bike move around a bit, does NOT equate to anything going wrong or anything inherently dangerous happening. It's just your bikes own reactions to the forces acting upon it - and you have to let it happen.

You hit a bump mid corner and it causes the bike to change direction or wobble around a bit...you cannot stop that from happening, assuming the bump was'nt avoidable...really - just allow it to happen, accept that it will/can happen, and continue on your merry way. (Trying to stop your bike from doing it's natural thing, is counter-productive and usually makes things worse).
    Such unititiated movements are all part of what riding is about..and as you become more experienced with more exposure to it, you'll begin to expect it and will simply take it in your stride.

The point is...the bike moving around a bit, is supposed to happen... embrace it as part of the overall riding experience.

John.

2. Good timing John. I was riding on the freeway today and it was pretty windy. I did all I'm supposed to (as far as I know) - loose grip, tight legs, tucked down low... the bike still moves around quite a bit. It's really unnerving. So it's normal - any tips for getting over the nerves?

3. I had that up at Nebo a little bit ago. Really steeply banked curve, bit of dirt, and I guess your lean angle to the road, is different to your lean angle to the horizion. Rear slipped, just went with it. I mean when you sit back and logically think about it, wtf else can you do.

I think with stuff like that for me its helped by me riding a pushy since I was 18month old. And I would guess dirt bike guys would be even better at it again.

All that said tho, I can feel when I have a tyre in my car down 2psi compaired to the rest, and being a defensive driving instructor I know that really you need to just go with it in the car as well.

4. I reckon if i read that a week and half a go it would've helped but i learnt these lessons for myself.

In my first week i definately felt the bike move around and i wasn't quite sure what was going on but i definately expect it now and understand it a bit more and sometimes know when its coming. Last night i went for my first ride in the rain and was doing things to get a reaction from the bike and it built my confidence, although today i learnt a handy lesson while going for a joy-ride, don't shift into first while moving at 25kp/h needless to say rear started to slide all in all it was quite fun

5. Simply put...the best thing that can happen is for you to just get used to it, matey. Think back to the ride - the bike was moving around a bit...but really...did anything bad happen? (rhetorical question) :) And would it have if you relaxed and just went with the flow...Nup.

Seriously...the bike moves...you can't stop it from happening, so you just have to accept it....Like everything we do...we eventually get used to it enough, that it becomes the norm.

ie > When a GP Rider goes hard thru a corner and the rear starts to spin up, or run a little sideways on him, he's not worried about it at all, because for his given experience, it's not a big deal.
    Skill aside, He's just used to it happening and knows what to expect, so when it does happen, it's more of a footnote to the real action ahead rather than the major event in his race.

Just get used to it mate...it's allowable for the bike to move around a bit.

John.

6. I guess I just need more time in the saddle, then.

7. It is also worth mentioning that there are different types of moving. On good road where you have a little step or squirm, on consistent gravel where you get it out sideways and can control it, these are both manageable and you can get some confidence on
    Gravel patches on road Diesel patches, slippery wet spots, these are a different thing,
    And then when you think you understand all of this, comes the great Grand Daddy of All unexpected movements. Black Ice. You ride it out and you prey (even if your not religious) because there is sweet F#$k all you can do about it

8. Just watch the MotoGP or Superbike race around the track. Plenty of natural slipping from their bikes.

Sure they are putting their bikes under a lot more pressure than we do, but it is all relative.

Rubber, although it is solid, when it warms up becomes soft and tends to move around a bit. No normal road is 100% smooth and flat so you are bound to hit a bump every now and then.

Relax and enjoy the ride.

9. Okay, so with this advice in mind I did some highway time today, up to around 100kph. To put it mildly, I told myself to get the hell over it... and I kind of did. It helps to know that it is normal, rather than something to freak out about :grin: :grin:

10. There you go, Jisk!. :)...a few more trips out where you just go with the flow and let the bike do it's thing and you'll get quite comfortable.

Now back to my original post...I may have misdirected my own intentions a little bit with respect to the kinds of things I was referring to...
    While the lasrger movement issues are quite correct and true, I was more aiming the advice to newer riders over the little things that can make them nervous...
    ie...when the bike tends to follow a groove in the road - it's only a slight change of direction or feeling of resistance in the front-end, but because yjre bike did it all by itself it can leed to one of those WTF moments and unnerve some riders...or bumps causing the bike to bounce around a bit, or by winds buffeting you or the bike around independently leading to the impression that you are not in control...those littler things that chip away at a newer riders sense of control...Just allow those things to occur, make a few gentle corrections or whatever, but you are FAR from being out of control - the bike will do most of the correcting itself and all you need to do is help it along...NOT try to stop things from happening...since...and I repeat, they will always happen...it's perfectly natural, and you just have to allow it...NOT fight it, as if you are going to lose control...the amount of control riding along on a bike normally, is NOT a fine edge of existence...it's quite broad actually. :)

It was windy in Melbourne today...at times it was quite severe...How many riders were reported to have been blown off the road, or crashed as a result of the wind...None that I'm aware...yet sometimes the reaction to wind is that we are all going to die. :LOL: :roll: .

Newer riders...just allow your bike a little latitude to move around a little and stop fighting it...you will notice an immediate difference and can move on to getting used to it, and be free of that fear. :)

There...I hope that is clearer for you all..