Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

another story headline i hate reading !

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Mickyb V9, Oct 21, 2006.

1. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20620129-1702,00.html

Motorcyclist's leg cut off in crash
    October 21, 2006 02:56pm
    Article from: AAP
    Font size: + -
    Send this article: Print Email
    A TEENAGER has used his mobile telephone to call for help after his leg was torn off in a motorcycle accident outside Darwin last night.
    Eight police and ambulance units combed the Stuart Highway south of Darwin looking for the man who lay injured and bleeding, unable to provide any clear indication of where he was.
    Police said the 000 call from the 19-year-old man was received at the Joint Emergency Services Communications Centre at 3.20am CST.
    The man said he had been travelling from Darwin to his home near Palmerston 25km away and had crashed his motorcycle.
    The man's leg was severed in the crash and, while conscious, he was suffering from severe shock, police spokeswoman Sandra Mitchell said.
    Police and ambulance units were despatched and, using their sirens to alert the man and the communications centre to their position, took just 20 minutes to find him in bushland off the highway near Tulagi Rd 20km south of Darwin.
    The man, with a severed leg and severe lacerations to the face, was taken to Royal Darwin Hospital where he underwent surgery today.
    Investigations into the cause of the crash are continuing. 
  2. Not good, not good at all. Bloody lucky he had mobile coverage at the least. Poor bugger.
  3. Wow, the poor guy.

Lucky for him he was able to make the call though. I highly doubt if my leg was missing I'd be able to make that call.

But it is another nasty reminder that we need to ride safely..
  4. poor fella...
    wonder if they got his leg reattached and if he'll ever ride again
  5. +1

It is a wonder he was still concious and was capable of making the call and helping them locate him.

Hope he recovers well and glad that he isn't another statistic.

6. Ouch! I can't believe he was able to make the call.