Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

another soon to be convert :P

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by sixthsense, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Hi guys,

From the northern beaches, not riding just yet, but the desire is there and am wary of being hooked, as I hear the numerous exclamations of how wonderous the world of motorcyling can be, at the moment what began with a heavy interest in motorsports having been as my friend put it, ruined, having introduced me to the world of track/circuit days in the car early this year, its been a fantastic way to learn and obviously develop experience and handling in general but at the same time terribly impractical in terms of cost involved as one tries to go that half second faster. But what started as getting a good helmet seeing as I valued my head, although not necessary as I was told in an enclosed car, I decided to pay that little bit more, and grab that Shoei! Seeing as though I was now hooked! So i'm already a quarter of the way there in terms of gear, not that it was really a thought in my mind at the time, but as time has progressed, and my want to go through corners fast has developed, I somehow have picked up this massive desire for getting a motorbike! Not that I even knew why my friend was getting so excited over a 'GsxR' in the shop when we were checking out helmets? And now? I get so exited by them, that when I saw one in the car park the day after a track day at wakefield, I went and grabbed my helmet from the car and had my girlfriend take a picture of me next to it, sad sad sad I know!

Anyhow here I am, when I hear the roar of an exhaust scream past my heart rate picks up that little bit more as I look to find an R1 scream past me :p my quick little sprints through Mt White recently, give me a chance to get that little closer to not only hear and oggle at them in action!

Anyway to make a short post long, this desire has been steadily building over the last few months, through lots of TwoWheel magazine and online reading which brings me to hear! As I've looking into getting that first learners/doing the pre learners, also mentioned, the reason I also wanted to take this route, I originally thought it would be a more cost effective way to have a taste of this sensation I'd been told of that was unlike anything else I could experience through a corner in the car, and with the other countless reasons, but number I have the desire to jump on and experience this first hand, though having gone through some of the beginner rider threads, it isnt as cheap as I had first hoped! Nonetheless,

I was mentioning to some other riders out there, that every single one of my family/friend members have endeavoured to tell me not to go near this chosen form of transport, how dangerous it is etc etc this did cast some heavy doubt in my mind, but through some good reasoning I'd been told, for example had these people actually ridden? common sense prevailing, its as dangerous as one makes it for themselves and although very disheartening I and having gone through the motorcylce handbook from the RTA I understand of course the inherrent dangers, but I like to think I have some a good sense of my environment or maybe I simply lie to myself about all of it, because It is like people tell me just a phase I'm going through? Knowing from experience that there are some terribly incompetent drivers out there oblvious to anything outside of their 4 wheeled 'cage', first things first, I will go for a pre learners in the near future and see how far this 'phase' may take me...

Sorry to turn this intro into a short story, but figured it be worth a blab to get it out there! Phils the name by the way! I've seen a couple of names on the forum already that I recognise from elsewhere, and in fact introed me over here :p :)
  2. Hi don't listen to the knockers, they don't get it and stuff their opinions if they don't :) Welcome and good luck with your search - believe me the anticipation is as sweet as the eventuality!
  3. Welcome sixthsense, woo-hoo another NSW rider coming up.
    As TonyE once said, "This one's hooked; NEXT" :LOL:
  4. heya Phil
    i love my motorsport too, but at our end of the scene bikes go harder than cars. it sounds like you've come to the right place :)
    have a dabble. they say riding bikes makes you a better car driver, not sure if that goes for the track though...

the controlled environment of track riding is far safer than the roads. watching the ewan mcgregor doco 'faster', the comments at the end about racers who only ride when at the track and drive everywhere else for safety.

check out the new 125 aprilias for an entry level trackday weapon. in-built lap-timers!

welcome to the show...
  5. yep, dont listen to the knob'eds telling you that you'll die etc.
    eg. i dont surf because i fear sharks, but i dont remind every surfer i know about them....
    preserve your health to the best of your ability and leave the rest up to whatever higher power you believe in :grin:

welcome aboard and dont get discouraged!
  6. Hi sixthsence
    I really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks. For me , that feeling in the corners is there in a car because its the driving time where machine is 'in tune' with thw road surface in a heightened manner . The driving is more 'interactive'. But there is still that distance , that intangible element that seperates you from in your face connection to the road and so the flow , the rythym is .... i dont know , sort of just out of reach.
    On a bike you are enveloped in it . The road surface is an intimate experience , the sences acutely 'in tune' , the machine the road and you in that andenaline surging flow . Its beyond me to describe other than to say the car is more between driver and car interacting in the enviroment , but the bike is a whole earth experience.

as for the risks , your friends are just concerned because they care and they dont know or want to know that feeling. You obviously do so it will not matter what they say , except try not to be negative back to them . They just care.

As to the dangers,

Robert Frost - BRAVADO
    Have I not walked without an upward look
    Of caution under stars that very well
    Might not have missed me when they shot and fell ?
    It was a risk I had to take - and took.
  7. thank you for the kind words guys, i was getting worried I may have gone a little overboard with my over enthusiasm! :p

but yes, to sum it up theres this deep desire for me to get out there, perhaps the whole testosterone side of things :p that sound of that engine the exhaust that buzz jeeeez give me some more please...

guys, while i'm at it, does push bike riding skill convert across to moto riding at all? I was always damn clumsy on the pushy trying to do tricky things that i failed miserably at and never managed to even get a hold of pully a mono, so i'm maybe thinking a bit much???
  8. That has got to be one of the longest intro posts I've ever read.
    welcome to netride.
    I think most of us know how you feel.
    I was in the same boat sorta.
    Started with a curiosity about motorbikes and as I learned more about it the more I wanted one.
    People will tell you it is dangerous and they won't be entirely worng. But thats part of the pakage.

It took me 3years from a curiosity to actually getting a bike because of my ex-girlfriend. Thank god I thought she cheated on me and broke up with her! :LOL:
  9. Welcome to the dark side Luke......
    ....no I am not your father :grin:

I recommend you look up the lyrics to 'Real thing' by 'Faith No More'
    You don't have to like their music, but they do a great job of describing what you're feeling.
    And it only gets better, or worse, depending on which way you look at it.

Cheers Scheff.
  10. well, i'll be taking this step in the very near future. atleast after my final uni exams in a few weeks. though i will have to patiently wait and build up the skill before I can be riding with you all, i look forward to it!