Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another NOOB

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by silvertiger, Apr 3, 2006.

1. Hi All, I have had a decent read of all the newbie threads not too many questions at the moment.
    I have been looking at gear & some bikes - Im surprised to see new bikes at 7000 and older ones at 5000, so realistically for a new rider which would you choose (saw at a suzuki dealer in newcastle,nsw)
    What bike shop would people recommend to get a nice bike from in the future. considering getting all my safety gear first whats your take on dririder textile jacket & pants, joe rocket speedmaster boots & a KBC VR1 helmet.. sorry if this has all been answered before.

:roll:

By the way Im Paul. from Maryland.

2. As a new rider definitly get a second hand bike. It doesn't have to be a heap but you want something that is cheap. If you look after a second hand bike you should be able to get similar returns when you get rid of it. A showroom bike loses value as soon as you remove it from the store.

On the gear side of things. It's all well known so there should be no problems.
    Make sure the helmet is the right shape for you .. make sure it fits well and compare it to other helmets of different brands and models.
    Textile is the best choice for a learner. For many reasons you probably already know ....
    Havent really seen the boots but just make sure you try them on and some others and make sure they hug your foot.
    DON'T forget gloves. Very import if you come off you don't want your hands torn off.

Good luck.

3. I know I know yet another noob (ME). I have only just purchased (last week) a GPX250 for $2500 best decision I ever made. you can find cheap bike's out there. It runs a little rough when you start it first thing in the morning but once she is warm my 90min commute to work is cut down to 45mins. My advice have a good look around test ride a few and grab a cheapie!!

4. Hey how are ya's,
    yeah Im guessing around $2000 for a 2nd hand. I think its the whole... mark it up heaps on non-private sales going on. definately will get some good gloves thanx. missed adding that to the post.

I have been reading round, what is it with people saying the 2 strokes are not a good idea as a first bike, too trigger happy or something? I know 4strokes are at lower revs to get usable torque.

I have my eye on susie gs500 's as I meet a bloke selling some outside his house near glendale he had some good advice, but I think he wanted too much for a 2nd hand with 9000k on clock - $7000.00 sounds so good with an aftermarket pipe. :LOL:

anyways Thanx for ur replies Paul. :cool:

5. welcome paul :) I got a cx500 shadow with rego and roadworthy for $1000 and rode that for a while, solid old bike, nothing to worry about if she fell over :) I have a KBC helmet and i love it

6. Hi maddog - Shadow.. thats a Honda right? hows it go?
    Im still juggling with brands pros- cons. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go pay for the nsw scheme and hopefully pass and then the computer test and get my L's then get actually test them out :shock:

anyways like I said gear first... cool (KBC) they look pretty good.. I think the vr2 vents on top are too big.. easy to get caught on something, whereas the vr1 has smaller vents. hopefully they might throw in a tinted visor for it if I go the whole kit out. and a discount eh!
    Oh yeah almost forgot when I was trying on the helmets I tried a small first and it was really tight on the cheeks... so went to med and it felt better... just wondering any input on checking the correct size..
    and it didnt fold my ears or anything like that..
    Paul.

7. Gday and welcome nub

Cheers :cool:

8. howdy again :) yeah the cx500 shadow is a honda, its an old girl though, the one i had, 1981 she was :) it went well, torque was great, not a revvy motor but it did not need to rev hard to go. Sounded a bit like a ducati being the V twin and shaft drive was nice and smooth (no chain). Good on fuel and reliable. No complaints here with them :)

9. Welcome to the forum dude.

As far as a first bike goes... pick something that makes sense to you. If you don't want to do any maintenance, like a pretty bike, and are confident you won't drop it by all means get something new and shiny.

If you're not so confident, don't care so much, or just want to learn a lot about the bike itself get something second hand. You'll save a lot of money, you won't cry so hard when you come off, and sure as hell you'll learn a LOT.

As regards brands, well, the biggest decision there is grey import vs local. If you get a grey import be prepared for parts (and labor) to be exxy. Locals can be a lot cheaper, but then again, there's a reason people import bikes (fun!). Suzuki vs Honda vs Yammy vs Kwaka vs whatever else is a decision only you can make. :) There's heaps of threads around reviewing all sorts of bikes, so have a bit of a search and read.

10. Hi Paul and welcome to the forum :)

You want the helmet fairly firm on your cheeks but not on your forehead as you will end up with a headache after a while.

Best thing to do is try on heaps and make sure when you shake your head side to side it doesnt slip around.

All helmets give a little in the padding as they get older.

11. Hey thanks will keep testing others too.. I did like the medium of KBC VR1 not too bad Cheers Paul.

12. If you hurry to action at parramatta you can get those boots for $171 reduced from $399.

My take is they aint bad at that price.

13. howdy silver tiger welcome.

14. Thanks Mate,

Hey any members in newie?

Hello!? :shock:

15. There might be hope for you after all.

G'Day and welcome

16. Please pray tell.. why are you such a grump to new comers? re: the other subject?

I'm not out to make your "moderator life" a hell so just bring it down a notch? k

"why oh why cant we all be freunds"

"Nein" :shock:

17. Silvertiger, I am in Newcastle as well......
    Newcastle Kawasaki often has good deals (half price) on Gear like jackets etc. They dont like to move too much on the price of their used bikes, but the guys across thr road aren't too bad. They have good rpices on gear liek helmets and gloves as well. Newcastle Suzuki are pretty good but I have found Frasers to be mostly abotu image and if they dont knwo ya then ya aren't worth the time.
    You can get some excellent deals on bikes through the trading post though you have to do a revs check first. a GS500 is a good bike and if you want to spend the $$ its your choice. You can get better deals if you look around though. Even ebay has some decnt deals around the place.
    Maybe see ya round the ridges mate! :grin:

18. Silvertiger, I am in Newcastle as well......
    Newcastle Kawasaki often has good deals (half price) on Gear like jackets etc. They dont like to move too much on the price of their used bikes, but the guys across thr road aren't too bad. They have good rpices on gear liek helmets and gloves as well. Newcastle Suzuki are pretty good but I have found Frasers to be mostly abotu image and if they dont knwo ya then ya aren't worth the time.
    You can get some excellent deals on bikes through the trading post though you have to do a revs check first. a GS500 is a good bike and if you want to spend the $$ its your choice. You can get better deals if you look around though. Even ebay has some decnt deals around the place.
    Maybe see ya round the ridges mate! :grin:

19. Hey good to see someone from newie..
    Maybe I've seen you around.... riding a BMW .. (trying to think.) were you at that suzuki sort of sale day last weekend?... with red leathers?

the kawasaki dealer.. thats in broadmeadow right? or further in town?

yeah frasers does seem like that? whats your take on the 2nd hand shops near frasers ones got some bikes out from and the others called Newcastle Wholesaler motorcycles?

Thanks Paul.

20. Who? What? Did I miss something :?:
    Easy 'tiger, no dramas going on here that I can see.
    Welcome, anyways :)