Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another Newbie - sort of

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Peony, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Hi everyone - have had my license for a few years now but am presently minus a bike!!!!! Any suggestions for getting back in the saddle - so to speak. Advice welcome - I would like to start out doing shorter rides but obviously working my way up to exploring the countryside in all its glory.

2. Welcome.

Look at a few bikes, see what you like the look of then go test ride them. That's the only true way you will see what is going suit you.
    Where are you from?
  3. I am in Sydney - southwest
  4. Hi and welcome Peony,

Glad to see you're returning to riding. As far as getting back in the saddle is concerned, what did you ride before and how long did you ride for? Perhaps a refresher course at one of the many riding/training schools may be a good start if your confidence and skills need boosting.

Shorter rides are a great way to ease back into it, even a mentor to help you along could be an option to give you advice and pointers, should you require.

Exploring the countryside, well, you've come to the right place as there are plenty of day rides/overnighters to whet your appetite here.

What have you got in mind for your next bike?

Ned :D
  5. NedNed - thanks for the welcome - I think perhaps a refresher course is the ticket - build my confidence back up and familiarise myself with the road - in a good way ;) I had a 250cc cruiser but ended up selling her for reasons not associated with riding - maybe something similar - haven't really ridden a sports bike - so not certain it is for me - but then again I won't know unless I try it :LOL:
  6. At least one of the used learner bikes can be sold at little/no loss so perhaps that'd be a good starting point?
  7. Another good idea - hadn't thought of that but definitely a starting point
  8. Welcome to NR...
  9. Welcome to Netrider!
    Where about's in southwest Sydney?
    Is there any style you're particularly keen on?
  10. Welcome to Netrider.

What's your price range? Advice on what to get really depends on how much you can spend etc.
  11. Thank you
  12. I'm not fully decided on what I want - so many bikes so little time!!!! Will head to look at some over the next few weekends and I am sure that I will recognise the 'right' one. Am quite happy to take it slow, test ride a few and see how they feel,
  13. Hi PeonyPeony , welcome. Buy used, better value, and you may drop it if you have lost your bike legs. Get a Street Triple with lowered suspension. Lots of power, lots of fun, and light to boot! You won't hav to change up in 12 months either!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. welcome aboard :] as NedNed said a refresher course can be good as for the bike what ever style you like consider second hand
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks PetesulPetesul - hadn't considered a used bike but looking at what's out there - I have a few options that have reasonably low kms and aren't too shabby in terms of looks!!! Now to organise some text rides
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks JeffcoJeffco - once I have the bike the next thing will be a refresher course - then on to the high roads and low roads and of course the twisty roads!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1