Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another newb from Melb!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by brettar01, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I'm a student in Hawthorn, Melb. and just got my full drivers license.

I'm completely new to bikes-getting my license in 2 weeks, and currently looking for a bike.

Since I know nothing about them, finding this forums been awesome as you can imagine.

From what i've read here the zx-2r seems like a strong choice for a learner bike so i imagine i will be picking one up as soon as possible!

2. Welcome to Netrider, and that 'other' way of getting around :LOL:.
  3. hi and welcome to NR
  4. Welcome.

What brought you to the world of motorcycling? Just curious!
  5. Welcome Aboard Brett !
  6. What brought you to the world of motorcycling? Just curious![/quote]

Well I'm a bit of a car fan but don't have the money for one I want, so started looking into bikes. After talking to mates that ride and just generally learning about them I've been getting more and more impatient to get on one...
  7. Thanks, I understand.

Use netrider to learn as much as you can to develop you skills as you prepare and as you are learning. Then you can teach others. We all learn from each other.

How does your family feel about all this? A bit concerned or OK with it?
  8. Haha nah they hate it-apparently I'm not the only one that has that problem?!

Dad was ok with it, until we went to Canada 2 months ago and I put a snowmobile through a tree...

Mum just asked me to do one of the riding courses to develop good habits etc, which is something I'd do anyway. Hopefully the forum will be good for that as well-I've been browsing through which type of gear is best, which bikes are good etc and realising I've got alot of learning to do!
  9. You never stop learning, so get used to it.

Sounds like your mum's got the right idea. Bikes can be a lot of fun but we all need to keep developing our skills and stop ourselves from doing silly things.

Get good riding gear to protect yourself and always wear them. When riding always expect people not to see you and pull out on you - that will help you always look out for dangers.

Ride safe.