Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another new "old" member

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Billoab, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Hi All, I got on a bike approx 12 months ago for the first time in 40+ years having never transfered my bike license from the UK. Decided it was time to grow up and get a life! Appreciate any assistance in choosing my next ride as the suzy 250 I'm presently riding is ok but it fall's asleep going up hills! Considering a Trump Tiger 800 XR, BM R1200R or maybe a Ducati 821. Good to be back in the saddle!

2. Welcome to NR, good luck with your bike search. I'm sure you'll find lots of info and helpful advice around the traps.

Oh, and get the Ducati :p

3. 40+ Years away from bikes!!! Bill, That's a long Drought.
    Welcome back into the fold
    I'm back riding about 1 year now. My Drought lasted 12 years.
    A lot of people buy the wrong bike. It looked good in the brochure or it felt nice to sit on in the shop. After buying it doesn't get ridden much and they start to look elsewhere. I recon, hire out different types of bikes over a few months. Cruisers, Tourers, Sports Tourers, Sports bikes. Café Bikes. and you will make the right decision first time.

4. Welcome, where are you located? I have a couple of bikes you could try out.

5. Thanks for the welcome and advice, the 821 reads well but its all about the ride, I'll give it a go.

6. I was away for 15 years (not totally) but 40 Years... Wow.

Well.. Welcome back to the world of bikes and welcome to NR...

I would go for the 821. That's coming back in style.

;)

7. welcome aboard :]

8. Welcome back. I guess it depends on what sort of riding you want to do, cruise, speed, tour etc. my 2c is go sit on a load of them, ride 'em. Quick SWOT analysis and figure out what's best for you at the right budget. Then allow your heart to kick in too - what floats your boat!

Or ride WombleWomble 's bikes to help make a decision!

9. Of course! Just throwing out some mandatory biased Ducati love :D

For sure, ride everything on your shortlist before you make your choice. All of your options are good bikes in their own way.

10. Good advice. I have a couple of mates with BMWs who will let me have a ride on them and the Triumph agent reckons I can have a couple of hrs on a Tiger so atleast that gives me a bit of an opportunity to assess the bikes.

11. Good to be back in the saddle. Thanks for the welcome.

12. Intend to do touring but no off roading, hence range is fairly important and its intersting that this is not well advertised as part of bike specs. I'll do my homework and absorb the info I'm getting from NR to give me guidance. Thanks for the welcome.

13. Thanks for the welcome. The 821 presents well but have yet to try it.

14. I'm just out of Nth Syd but spend time up at Lake Macquarie where I keep my present bike.
    Thanks for the welcome.

15. Just bear in mind that if mainly touring, a naked bike will tire you out quicker than something fully faired - much more wind buffeting and drag.

16. Thanks for this info, I wasn't aware of this issue.