Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another new member from Tassie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by barry_mcki, Dec 18, 2014.

1. #1 barry_mcki, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Hi all,

Just a couple of lines about me and my ride. Like a lot of us I had bikes during my younger years but had been "too busy" until recently to realise what I have been missing. I actually got my bike licence back in 1977 when I was in the Army, and held onto it ever since. Dusted it off when I started looking at retirement and having some real time to tour this great country.

The story on how I got this current ride is a little bit backwards, the missus and I wanted to go bike touring along with our new pup Leroy. So we came up with the idea of getting a side car rig. This then led us down the track of where to get one, we eventually got in contact with Sean at SRK in Bathurst. The phone call to him went something like, "love the xxx model, what type/size bike would you need to pull that around .... 1000cc plus you say, okay, known anyone selling a bike like that in good condition....oh, you are doing up a rig like this for your shop now, want to sell it ?....great be there on the weekend".

The rig is a 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit fitted with a Premier sidecar and Leading Link front end, 205/45-17 car rear tyre. Had it now for about 5 years, its had a little more work done to it in that time including smaller front cog, PC-V, Secondaries removed, PAIR removed, Arrows headers and Yoshi can. It was last dyno'd in Canberra at 125hp so it can handle the extra drag of the sidecar pretty well. It also has full lower fairings, Corbin seat, full Autocom SP2 with intra/inter bike comms, Givi top box and panniers, tow bar and a trailer that is fitted with a Rhino 440lt car top box.

Been retired now officially for 2 years, moved from Canberra to the East Tamar just north of Launceston, best thing we ever did. Hows the touring going ? ..... mum has hurt her back so can't get on the bike at the moment, and remember little Leroy, well he's now 115kg (he's actually has lost 20kg) but is still too big to fit in the rig. I'm training our smallest Mastiff "Axel" (only 85kg) to become a sidecar "monkey", he gets a set of Doggles and a new safety harness for Xmas.

What attracted me to this forum was the number of well informed members and the wide range of subjects on everything from bike maintenance to road laws and standards. I hope to be able to contribute back to the forum in exchange for all the info I am getting from the members.

Cheers

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  2. Welcome to NR... and thanks for the info on the other page ;)

3. Welcome Barry, Gods own motorcycling country in Tassie. If only the weather was a bit more consistent. :) You do have great roads and a fairly enlightened police rather than the Wizened Black shirted/Black hearted Ticket Monkeys we have up here in Vic. :)

Years ago I received great kindness and assistance from the copper in Maydena when touring and a mate hit a wallaby. He had to be choppered to Hobart. The copper helped me retrieve the bike and get it into storage. One of natures gentlemen.

Sidecars are an interesting option, I have only seen them in racing and a few on the road. Pity you don't tour with it much anymore. There are some great overnight spots in Tassie. It would be interesting to hear a thread on the challenges of sidecar riding, its something very few get to do nowdays.

4. Welcome to the forum!

For a long time I have been intrigued by sidecars, both in racing and just on the road, although I have no plans to get a rig myself. Yet.

For a whole heap of info re sidecars go here;
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

And in particular go here for dogs and sidecars together;
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295048
    I think you should enjoy that!

Enjoy your retirement, hope the missus's back improves so you can get back to touring around together again.

Ross.

5.  Top