Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another IT-related question... I need help!

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by HondaGal, Apr 13, 2006.

1. I'm having a problem on my PC at home and I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable people out there may be able to help me.

Basically, I seem to have been hijacked, because my homepage keeps being reset to a different website from the one I had set, and I'm unable to change it. But even more annoying (and this seems to be the hard part to fix), whenever I go to a site where I need to type something into a field, for example to log in to Netrider, that website disappears and is replaced with the one I was looking at previously as soon as I start typing.

Now, I have many antivirus & antispyware programs on my PC, and none of them have found anything. I'm now thinking that it might be something to do with my registry? I downloaded a couple of programs last night specifically for registry problems and they both found problems, but I have to pay to fix them. I have no problem with this if they will actually fix the problem, but I don't really want to shell out more $$$ if they don't do anything.

Has anyone has this kind of problem before and fixed it successfully? If someone could recommend an effective way of treating this issue, I would REALLY apprciate it cos it's driving me crazy!! Thanks guys :grin:

2. I'm having a problem on my PC at home and I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable people out there may be able to help me.

Basically, I seem to have been hijacked, because my homepage keeps being reset to a different website from the one I had set, and I'm unable to change it. But even more annoying (and this seems to be the hard part to fix), whenever I go to a site where I need to type something into a field, for example to log in to Netrider, that website disappears and is replaced with the one I was looking at previously as soon as I start typing.

Now, I have many antivirus & antispyware programs on my PC, and none of them have fond anything. I'm now thinking that it might be something to do with my registry? I downloaded a couple of programs last night specifically for registry problems and they both found problems, but I have to pay to fix them. I have no problem with this if they will actually fix the problem, but I don't really want to shell out more $$$ if they don't do anything.

Has anyone has this kind of problem before and fixed it successfully? If someone could recommend an effective way of treating this issue, I would REALLY appreciate it cos it's driving me crazy!! Thanks guys :grin:

3. Oops, I seem to have posted this message twice! Sorry moderators!

4. Try booting into safe mode and then run the spyway/adware and virus programs.

Sometimes they cannot detect or remove stuff booted normally.

5. Try using spybot or something to get rid of any viruses and then deleting all of your cookies/history.

6. Hmmm, excuse my ignorance but I have no idea how to do that?

And yes, I have run Spybot and a heap of other antivirus/atispyware programs but they don't actually find anything.

7. Can be a minefield trying to sort these out, ZRX1200R is right, it's better to do a malware sweep from "safe mode"

www.ianag.com is a great place to start looking for answers, they have a program called "hijack this" that will take a snapshot of your machine and write a log, youy then paste that log into an online "parser", it will highlight (with hyperlinks) the problem areas and point you to known fixes.

Anti spyware, antivirus software is only as good as it's last update.... mine is updated daily, and I haven't had any issues for over 18 months, even tho I'm always conected via broadband.

JJ

8. Restart your computer and hit the F8 key during startup

9. Depends on software, XP-Windoze 2k you press "F8" while windoze is loading.

JJ

(edit... like wot he said :? )

10. wait... are you using that crack whre IE? It picks up any scanky code from the net and gets infected...

Switch yor browser to Firefox inbuilt antispam and popup blocker... plus as ana added time wasting feature it can have mutiple surfing tabs going at once.. instread of opening another window...

My house mate used to use my pc for "quality time" damn disgusting thats what dvd's are for... But the up shot (no pun intended) is if you head over to:

http://www.tucows.com

they have some really really excelent spyware programs and the lateset databases.

11. Safe mode: press F8 (or F5, never can remeber) as soon as sindows starts loading. (stert pressing it as soon as the PC stops showing all the technical stuff after you turn it on)

you will geet a menu with a number of options on what to do. Select "Start Computer in Safe Mode" . your PC will start with a very low screen reolution and have Safe Mode written in each corner of the screen. Run your anti,spyware stuff now.

If this doesn't work...... find out what the webpage it keeps sending you to and do a google search. This shouild be able to help you find the name of the Nasy your PC has contracted.

www.symantec.com
    www.mcafee.com

these sites usualyy have virus/spyware removal tool that clean off stuff that the normal programs miss.

OR get a mate to give you a hand.

if this makes now sense at all... skip straight to the above line :) will be less painful, but get them to show you what to do if it happens again.

12. Thanks for your help, everyone - I will try doing the safe mode thing when I get home. I did install Firefox, but I guess the damage was done by then because it still does the same thing... and now when I click on the IE icon, it opens Firefox anyway???

The homepage it is set to is Google (not that I mind, but I didn't choose it), and it won't let me set it to anything else now, so no clue as to who/what has tampered with my PC.

13. Spyware will look for spy software. You should install Adaware which eliminates self installed ad's, like the one you have. You will be amazed how many you have on your PC. Make sure it updates its library files before scanning your computer.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/adaware.html

EDIT: Forgot to say, its free!

14. reformat... its like a brand new machine.
    I have had something like that but i tried but this stupid website kept defaulting to my home page so went stuff this and reformated it. Then ghosted the machine so anymore problems I just wack that disk in

15. ahhh.

firefox comes standard with the homepage set to google. It can be changed easily enough inthe setting page or got to the page you want, right click on the page and select Set as background from the popup menu..

Usually spyware would set it to comething a bit more nefarious like www.xxx.com etc. (don't bother clicking that i just made it up..)

16. Yeah, I downloaded Adaware last night and it found a couple of problems but it said I had to subscribe/pay to get rid of them.

I think I will reformat if I can't fix this any other way - if I can't get it sorted by the end of Easter, then I guess that's what I'll have to do!

17. there are enough members here who work as IT guys. We should be able to see you through this.

Hold a netrider event and put em to work :twisted: :LOL:

18. Really? I have adaware and it doesn't request any payment. What version is it? This one is definitely free:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,00.asp

19. Yeah, maybe I should just hold a BBQ and get you all around to fix my computer! :LOL:

I'm not sure which site I got it from, but I will try your link instead and see how I go! Thanks!

20. Yeah hold BBQ,, give everyone the change for a ride and social get together and you get your PC fixed as well!