Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another IT query? What are akamaitechnologies doing here??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Mar 13, 2007.

1. TCPview is giving me a look into parts of pc-dom that I should stay away from!

Please check out this TCPview screenshot.

Why are my pc's processes so involved with this mob akamaitechnologies??? Is this typical for all xp ieexplorer users?? I've done a who is and got some info which suggests that the site is legit... just wondering whether this is a big brother thing????

Thanks in advance!

2. shamelessy lifted off another forum...

3. Interesting!

At the time I took the screen shot, my explorer windows were open but inactive... however the processes behind the scene were going nuts...

I'm sure the conspiracy theorists have a view about a globally dominant low profile tech organisation...

Thanks for the info.
  4. Anything associated with "RealMedia" is Satan incarnate.

Die Real, die.
  5. Looks to me that CCProxy.exe, a component of Symantec/Norton, had made some eariler download requests.

akamaitechnologies.com is the RDNS result for the IP address that the CCproxy.exe is connected to. More than likely it is someone else's server ( guessing Symantec's) but the IP address is part of an IP address range that belongs to akamaitechnologies.

Norton's day in the sun as an antivirus provider is well past.
  6. welcome to Microsloth...................
    You should make the change to Linux....Confirm or Deny?
  7. akamai basically makes regularly used content availably closer to home as it were. Its like distributed website hosting for a very high level explanation of what they do.