Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another "Help! Bike won't start" thread :(

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bonjoji, Aug 20, 2006.

1. What can be worst than on an 18*C fine day you geared up, rolled the bike out of the garage, put in key to ignition, pushed starter button .....grrrrrr, grrrrrr, nothing, bike won't start :(. Yes folks, I was looking forward for a good ride today and my bike just chickened out. I can hear the starter was working as it rattled, bike will shortly crank then die.

What can be wrong? I tried the following:

1. Fuel tap ON, choke OFF, throttle CLOSED -- no go.
    2. Fuel tap ON, choke ON, throttle CLOSED -- no go.
    3. Fuel tap ON, choke OFF, throttle slightly OPEN -- no go.
    4. Fuel tap ON, choke OFF, throttle fully OPEN -- no go. Started a couple of times on this but die after releasing the throttle, didn't stay on idle.
    5. Fuel tap OFF, choke OFF, throttle CLOSED -- no go.
    6. Fuel tap OFF, choke OFF, throttle OPEN -- no go.

Tried rolling start also no go. :(

What else can I try? Any ideas? Thanks.
  2. Sounds like its running on only 1 or 2 cylinders.. or then again maybe an electrical fault. Check with your mechanic.
  3. check to see if you are getting any spark.
    pull spark plugs out and reattach leads press starter button and see if there is a spark at the electrode
    if there is spark here then you could probalby say its not eletrical
    check air filter is clean (not blocked)
    pull fuel lead off to ensure fuel is get to carbs
    try these first then things start to get ugly from there

good luck
  4. sorry didnt relise that the bike did kick over check fuel and air filter first

5. does your battery have enough charge? Maybe pop it one the battery charger for a little while.
  6. The last time I had the bike running was 3 days ago, would the battery charge decrease that quick as to not have enough to crank the engine?
  7. if the battery has enough charge to crank the engine it should have enough to keep the bike going.
    the battery is there mainly just to start the bike the magneto should generate the spark to keep bike run and battery charged
    this is why when you have a flat battery you can clutch start the bike. there another thing to check battery termials are tight, system needs to be a closed circuit to work.

8. ok, i'm beginning to suspect dodgy petrol now.

i bled the carby for any signs of dirt, etc. had the battery fully charged overnight. popped in the battery, pushed starter button and the bike came into life easy. let it run for a minute or two on idle, still good, rev it a bit ~5k rpm still good, let go of throttle to keep running on idle then slowly the rpm started coming down then off.

pushed the starter button again, no dramas the bike was alive again, kept throttle open a little bit slightly above 2~3k rpm good, rev it a bit more near 5k rpm, noticeable white smoke coming out of the right exhaust. let go if the throttle to run on idle, stayed on idle for a little while then off again.

i remember that last week i filled up to this shell servo at the basin, this was the first time i filled up from that servo. i filled up just before i hit reserve and went for around 40km then the bike started to have trouble idling normally, i managed to reach home last week then kept the bike in the garage for 3 days then it won't start last sunday.

i'm thinking of draining the tank and fill it up with fresh petrol from my regular servo.
  9. Sounds like you have got a bit of crap under one of the float needles
  10. this is scaring me now, by the sound of what you said it looks like major carby operation :( . any ideas on how to check/get rid of this crap under the float needles?
  11. Not that major. It's only a twin.

You only need to remove the bowls and lift the needle set-up out and spray a bit of carby cleaner about.

You may even be able to do it with the carbies in place. If you try to do it this way, make sure you cove the engine with a large rag or similar, just in case you drop some bits.

having said that it shouldn't be hard to pull the carbies out.