Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another first run over the Spur

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by JtS, May 28, 2007.

1. Inspired by the thread below, I decided to share! :)

Friday arvo was my first run over the Black Spur. The weather was excellent, and the road surface 90% dry with a few minor wet patches where the warming rays of sunshine had failed to penetrate the dense foliage of those majestic trees.

I had heard plenty about this road; the joy, the danger, and the tragic stories of those that never made it back down. :eek:hno: I was apprehensive, and didn’t know what to expect.

Maybe it was the lack of traffic, or the fact that I was taking it fairly easy , but I didn’t find it to be a difficult or dangerous ride, though I can see how one could come to grief.

I really enjoyed the twisties and only scared myself once on a blind right-hander, but I pulled it back in line easily enough. I think I just overcooked it a little! :shock: Lesson learned. The pressures of work and the usual worries that plague us all day-to-day really disappeared, and I felt like I was flowing through the corners.

I stopped in at the road house for a quick snack, and a couple of other riders were there. I’m fairly certain I overheard a bit about NR…but on account of the following:

1. Adrenaline from the twisties;
    2. Laying low as I was supposed to be sitting at my desk in the CBD at the time; and
    3. Shyness, which condition disappears completely with a drink or two;

I didn’t say g’day. :oops: To those that were there, if I seemed a bit stand-offish or something, please accept my apologies. Next time I hope to make more of an effort.

Anyway, I wolfed down some caffeine and sugar, checked my messages at work, and headed back over the Spur.

I have to say that I much preferred the initial ride to the return…not sure why, but there it is. :?

On the way back in I hit a bit of traffic and was passed by a bloke on a KTM motard going mach 5. crazy. It may be the traffic just didn’t gel well with my overall feeling of ZEN.

All in all, I really enjoyed the experience. I wish I had taken the chance to get to know those at the road house, though. I also wish I had considered another layer of clothing, as I found it a bit biting on the spur, which I wasn’t expecting (to that degree anyway).

I plan on making much better use of that lovely bit of tarmac come summer!
  2. Well done, you came to the Spur and you conquered. I have only been once and its a very nice road. Its a shame about the traffic though as you feel as though you are going the slowest of slow compared to what you could be doing!
  3. Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's my favourite road for the bike.

Hey Nightgash, you coming for a ride soon mate? I finish up at work on wednesday, so you should get a day off. (Clean runs :D )