Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another day, another near death experience on the bike.

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Wolve, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Having just picked up the bike from service and new brake pads I got to test them sooner than I thought. Riding on to work taking off an under the limit in the right lane of the three lane Maroondah Highway in Mitcham heading west, 220m down the road there is another built up area. I could see a grey/green Subaru Liberty pulling into the turn lane traveling east and of course proceeding through failing to give way to oncoming traffic, namely me. That little voice of experience in my head had been hammering as soon as I spotted him and emergency braking commenced as I calculated a head on collision. Turning to the right I just managed to miss him and maintain control enough to squeeze past the median back into the lane.

I could have let it go but thinking "whoever that was almost killed me!" directed me to pull into the next turn lane and travel back to the intersection to see if he was still in the vicinity. Sure enough, there he was now returning to the same intersection from the road to the station he had just turned into.

Proceeding right through the intersection I stopped in front of his vehicle to ensure he knew I wanted to talk. With many witnesses watching I got off and walked up to his window.

"You do realize you almost killed me back there?" I inquired. He was a gentleman of advanced age with thick glasses covered by a cover over sun-glass arrangement.

"I had a green light and right of way" he began to say but I cut him off telling him "I had the green light and you failed to give way to oncoming traffic".

"I'm sorry," he replied "you were going very fast and I didn't see you till the last moment".

That being the line that we all hear that sets us off usually, I decided letting facts speak for themselves would have the most impact so I proceeded at length to tell him that I was travelling under the posted limit having just started from a red light and that in any collision with a motorcycle, it will be the motorcyclist that will be the worse off. I implored him to look for motorcycles and not become the instigator of misery as a result of his belligerence.

Turning and getting back on the bike I noticed a few people staring at me - and one guy clapping.

Ride safe all...
  2. Good on you mate, both for avoiding it and confronting them about it.
  3. Couldn't you have tried to scare him into a heart-attack or something... you know, a longer-term solution?
  4. :rofl:

twisted respoonse as usual mate! :LOL:
  5. Yeah other road users are what make me so very nervous about getting out there on the roads.... Im guna stick to the car park for a while i think lol
  6. Nah get out there quicksmart. Don't give yourself a chance to get nervous about it! Eventually the spidey sense grows on you and you get insect like reflexes!

With great horsepower comes great responsibility.
  7. Pretty standard behaviour I ride from Cranbourne to Dandenong every day on the Sth Gippy HWY and the number of drivers hell bent on crossing it to their side streets regardless of oncoming bikes makes your intuition go into overdrive - that is expect every cage numpty to turn in front of you. They're a cranky bunch on the way home too. The other day a few closed the gap making splitting a bit difficult. Musta been the heat :)
  8. So, you've met Grant then...
  9. Good move...Glad you kept it cool. (some times that's hard to do)

What shits me, is the probability that the majority of onlookers were seeing a nasty biker harassing some one.
    But I'm especially glad to see one bloke clapping - maybe all is not lost afterall. :))

10. Glad your OK Wolve, nicely handled.

What annoys me most is how people don't take responsibility for their actions. This supposedly senior citizen behaved like a bloody child by offering not one but two bullshit excuses to try to justify his unjustifiable actions. This makes me angry. Grrr.

However, if someone who nearly killed me said "I'm sorry, I f*ked up, please forgive me" it leaves me no alternative other than to forgive them and move on. So what's wrong with people these days? Bloody childcare generation brought up with no manners or ethics, methinks.
  11. I believe my stopping in front of him was having that effect anyway. Going feral on the guy would just re-enforce the "stereotypical biker" attitude of the witnesses.

Here's an idea, what if EVERY TIME a cager causes a near miss, every rider out there returns to educate them on their mistake in a manner that puts the onus back on the errant driver. Most of these people do not even understand the errors in their driving behavior.

Will being told off several times get some message across and perhaps prevent the one time they don't miss thus saving one of us?
  12. I'd like to think that having a near miss would actually increase their level of vigilance in the future. There is quite a bit of research now that suggests people train themselves to spot cars and trucks and vans on the road. These are the most common hazards, so these are what get the most reinforcement when we are learning to avoid hazards. Bikes don't get nearly so much reinforcement, so we often simply don't perceive them as hazards.

When somebody says they didn't see you, chances are they are not lying. They actually didn't see you. Sure, you were clearly there in the field of vision, but their optical processing centre had already filtered you out because you were not one of the patterns it was trained to recognise.

Maybe having a coupe of near misses will help build up those pattern recognition circuits in their brains. But what would be better would be if people were trained to look for bikes from the very beginning.
  13. Providing the driver actually accepts the near-miss was their fault.
  14. Or even if they don't. I am extra vigilant about taxis, even though I don't think it is necessarily my fault that they change lanes suddenly and without indicating, or pull over and stop with no indication, or hang a u-turn across double lines in front of oncoming traffic. It doesn't have to be my fault to be an unpleasant experience that I want to avoid in the future.

Hopefully the same holds true for car drivers.
  15. Well done avoiding being another statistic, and as you've mentioned, it should be inbred in all of us to scan the traffic around us at all times.

Usually I just accept it as a day to day event, but after one guy crossed a couple of lanes, just missing me, to get to a right hand turn on Princes H'way, I thought f@ck it going to let him have it. He was four cars back at the lights and I pulled up beside his window on the middle medium strip. He rolled down his window and was apologising profusely, as he accepted he was in the wrong. I just pointed two fingers to my eyes and his to remind him to be f@cking careful and to check his mirrors and blind spot whenever he drives.

I was fuming and was ready to be a total bastard to him but as everyone around were checking their rear view mirrors and looking over to see what this "nasty biker" would do, coupled with the fact he was genuinely sorry I just moved on after the short tirade.
  16. moreso providing the driver actually accepts a risk is posed to them as well during a collision with a bike.

we look out for crazy taxis, only because they can hurt us. we dont look out for post boxes, they cant hurt us unless we ride into them lol. drivers do not generally view motorbikes as a safety risk to themselves, thus they dont actively seek and identify them on the roads.

that's the problem.
  17. Good response Grant to a potentially devastating event.
    Well handled mate