Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another CB400 in inner west

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Steve Vtec, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Hey everyone. I got a grey import cb400 last year and have found a bunch of useful information on this site so thought it was time to sign up and introduce myself. I'm in Marrickville and ride to clovelly for a swim after work on as many days of the year as I can. Only been riding a year now, hoping for many more.

2. Shalom. Join us for a ride sometime.
  3. G'day and welcome SteveSteve. Excellent choice of motorcycle!
  4. Welcome aboard Steve VtecSteve Vtec. Not my kind of Hyper but nice bike nonetheless.
  5. Hi Steve! How have you found the grey import CB400? I'm thinking about getting one myself, but have heard mixed reports of difficulties sourcing parts for grey imports. I was thinking that the CB400 might be ok because they're also imported by Honda.
    Would love to hear how you've found the bike.
  6. Bike is excellent. Major service a while ago at 28000kms. Supposed to be at 24k but when I bought it the salesman told me that major service had been done, and not knowing much about bikes I just took his word for it. Anyway after changing out chain and sprockets and doing some other routine stuff I thought I should get it checked out and my mechanic said valve clearances were spot on and no adjustment needed. It's running like a dream, I'm having a great time on it.

Haven't ordered any parts yet but apparently webike in Japan is the go for cb400's. It seems relatively simple to line up which part go with which model, so I don't think it will be extremely difficult. Just a little scary throwing money at a Japanese website when I'm not 100% the parts will fit my bike... Also I went to Beaconsfield motorcycle supermarket the other day and his Honda parts book had the nc39 model that I'm riding in it, even though that model wasn't released in Australia. So OEM or equivalent sprockets, chains, brake pads etc aren't too hard to find. I told myself that I'd do a rider training course before I throw any more money at the bike though, so need to get that out of the way and then I'll let you know how it goes.

I reckon the older carby ones sound better than the fuel injected guys, but that's just my opinion. And to answer your question, the cb400s are imported by Honda but anything before 2008 will be an import. The hyper vtec spec 1, 2 and 3 were the vtec models before the revo (this is the Australian model), I'm riding a spec 1 and couldn't speak more highly of it.
  7. Thanks for the info! Sounds like a viable option. The hunt continues.
  8. G'day RRR.... I have a red blue and white cb400 which I bought from Canberra.
    May I ask what it cost to get yours from Japan ?

9. Sorry...this was meant for Steve Vtec
  10. Hey mate - SR guy here from the inner west. Reasonably new to roadbikes, I looked at a CB as well however at the time I was looking to buy couldn't really find a clean one.
  11. Yo. I found mine at action motorcycles in parramatta with a $6000 price tag, I thought it looked pretty neat, but there was no log book, no tool kit and no service history so the 24000kms that showed on the odo might not be anything close to what it's actually done. After haggling for a while, I left with a $5550 hole in my pocket and a sh1teating grin that hasn't left my face.

I didn't know much about bikes at the time so they didn't feel it necessary tell me what a grey import was or that this bike was one. I asked about the chain and sprockets and the bloke responded "yep, we changed them when we did the 24000km service so you don't have to worry about that for a while". I wish I researched more and wasn't such an idiot. I HATE salespeople. Well I more hate embarrassing myself by believing them. That's a rant for another day though.

To answer your question, I did not import the bike, I purchased it in Sydney from a dealer (that may or may not still be open?) and so I can not tell you the costs involved in bringing one to the country, but I imagine it would add up to fair more than what they charge for a new cb400... What year model is yours? I dig the blue white and red colour scheme, a mad throwback to the old Hondas. I found some old decals on eBay, a feathered Honda wing in blue red and white, they looked great! If I ever cafe my cb400, and I'm not really into that but I might get bored and want to do a project, I'd definitely hunt down those stickers...
  12. Welcome aboard Steve.
  13. Cheers mate