Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another bike rookie

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by craw85, Dec 16, 2015.

1. I've been lurking around here for a couple of weeks so figured I'd introduce myself. I just got my learners permit and my first bike (Yamaha MT07) in the last few days, so I'm very much a bike rookie. I've found a lot of the other posts here to be very helpful when choosing a bike and figuring out what to expect from the learners permit test.

First, I'd like to give a shout out to Tayne at Allstar training for being an awesome instructor. I went from knowing nothing to passing the learners permit with ease during their one day course. Everything was well explained and demonstrated and Tayne made sure everyone was confident in each skill before moving onto the next one. Highly recommended!

When I picked up my bike, which is a lot more powerful than the bike I learned on, I was a bit worried about stalling, crashing, flipping, etc. but I took it easy and it was completely fine. I instantly loved everything about it. I did a couple of laps in a nearby residential area before taking the back roads home. There's a section that gets to 100kph where I wasn't quite prepared for how hard the wind hits, so I was hanging on pretty tight thinking I'd get blown off the back of the bike! Pretty soon I relaxed as I gained confidence in the bike and myself and really enjoyed the rest of the ride home.

I've only clocked about 80km now but already I'm getting a feel for the bike and taking less time to think about cornering and gear changes. I'm starting to react naturally rather than think through everything. One problem is that it sometimes jerks a bit when I change gears, which is a combination of letting the clutch out too quickly and not judging the correct gear for the speed. I know that will get better with experience and I definitely plan to get a lot of practice in during the holidays.

See you on the roads!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Welcome aboard craw85craw85 congrats on your L's. Popular choice of ride :)

if your interested Saturday practice is another popular choice :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Welcome to NR, plenty of useful information here along with a whole load of entertaining banter.

Every day is practice no matter how many years you ride for, always learning. I remember my first venture onto the road a year ago and looking back on it I'm not sure why I was so scared/worried...
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Welcome Craw85, congrats on your licence and first bike. She's a looker!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the welcome guys.

I went out for another ride around the local streets this evening to work on my clutch control and gear shifting. After only a few minutes I found that I wasn't thinking about controlling the bike and my attention was on my surroundings, so I'm picking it up quicker than I expected. I was definitely much more relaxed and in control today.

I'm still having problems with the wind at higher speeds. Before heading home I went down Western Port Hwy since it's dead straight apart from a few roundabouts, and there's hardly any other traffic in the evenings. Up to 80 was fine, but as I got close to 100 the wind was giving me a lot of trouble and I found it hard to keep my lane position each time I got hit with a cross wind. I think the upright seating position on the MT07 may be a small factor here, but mostly I guess I just need to get more experience dealing with turbulence. Especially before I start going around trucks on the freeway :) Any experienced riders got any tips for dealing with the wind at high speeds?

I'll be pretty busy over the holidays but hopefully I can get to one of the practice Saturdays sometime early next year.
  6. Welcome craw85craw85 ,
    You'll get used to the wind and soon it'll give you no problem.
    You just need to relax on the bike and it will naturally deflect the wind, a bit like counter steering.
    Use the search function to do a search on wind and see what information comes up.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. If the cross wind is consistent then lean into it, move further forward on the seat and tuck down. You can also use you knee as a air brake, put out the knee on the side that the wind is blowing from. Watch the terrain for areas/vehicles that shield you from the wind because when you come out of their wind shadow you can sometimes get hit unexpectedly. Also watch trees, grass etc for approaching gusts.

Above all relax, don't grip the handlebars with a death grip, let the bike move.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Just a word of warning.......

Motorcycling is HIGHLY addictive. If you continue on this path, you too will soon be caught up in it's web. Bikers have been known to become anti-social by spending irrational amounts of time away from home, spend obscene amounts of money on the smallest of motorcycle bits to replace something that already worked fine and been caught with glazed looks in their eyes at work thinking of their next trip - much like the ice drug epidemic.

As a 'newby' you still have the opportunity to run away from it's terrible tentacles.

You have been warned........
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. welcome to Netrider and 2 wheels craw85! .....Saturday practice at Elwood is highly recommended! (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I found the same thing with wind at high speed when started riding month or so ago. Got used to it within a couple rides. Relaxing on the bars was biggest help - the bike knows what its doing even if we're just figuring that out. Very windy, blustery days are still a little off putting but hunkering down helps. I imagine we feel it more on naked bikes than fared bikes, but hey - I like 'em naked.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Welcome to a lifetime of addiction... :D

As said in the previous posts...Come on down to the Saturday practise.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. You're all right about this getting addictive. I'm finding myself taking 'just one more' quick detour on my way home every time I'm out :)

Just a quick update on progress (I guess I'm going to use this thread as a diary for a while to keep track of progress and have something to look back on for reflection). Long story short, some trains were cancelled this morning so I decided to try the commute for the first time. Took Princes Hwy on the way there and another rider pulled up beside me at a set of lights. He complimented my bike, and I returned the gesture (he had the MT09, the big brother of mine) and when the lights went green he took off and of course I stalled. Perfect timing :p Other than that the ride was great. I'm much more aware of the traffic in my peripherals and gear shifting is becoming much smoother.

On the way home I decided to take the freeway since it was way past rush hour and traffic was light. I'm glad to say I coped with the wind much better today. I did notice my hands reverting to the death grip a few times, but overall I was able to relax and let the bike do the work.

It was really hot today (high 30s I think) so I'm glad I invested in a mesh jacket (RST Ventilator IV) rather than something with less airflow. The temperature was perfect while moving even at low speeds, though it really sucked every time I had to stop at red lights.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks. I'll hopefully make it to practice sometime in the next few weeks.
  14. One other thing, while I'm thinking of it. During the longer rides today the vibrations in the throttle handle started to make my right hand numb after a while. Is there anything I can do about this? It's not like I can just take my hand away and rest it for a few seconds :)
  15. relax your grip. white knuckling it is what makes hand numb. Knuckles toward the sky! Also, some bar end weights may help.
  16. Cool, that's definitely something I can work on. I definitely want to get rid of these little bad habits as soon as I can.
  17. I'm a noob too. Had same feeling in hands first few rides, still a little after long rides but it is getting less each time. Bar ends weights are supposed to help reduce vibrations thru bars, also can get pussy grips to put over grips supposed to cushion vibration also.

Mainly though, it's getting used to it a little and learning to keep light grip on bars that helps most - easier said than done when a noob!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Welcome mate and great post. I look forward to reading up on your progress bud. Happy Trails
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Howdy & Welcome to NR!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. After not getting out on the bike at all over the weekend, I was pretty keen to take it out on Monday so I did the commute to work yesterday and today. I've had it for a week now and I have to say I'm loving it. My commute time has halved (I used to take the train because car parking costs a fortune), and parking is free for bikes in the work car park.

So all is going pretty well. I'm slowly getting better with the wind on the freeways and I'm not even thinking about gear changes anymore. I've clocked up 350km so far so will need to get a booking for the 1000km service soon.

This morning I had my first "I'm such a noob idiot" incident. I got the bike out of the garage as usual and let the engine warm up while I put on my helmet, jacket, etc. Jumped on and kicked it into first gear and the bike stalls. It wouldn't start until I put it back in neutral and then stalled again as soon as I shifted to first. I figured it maybe hadn't warmed up enough, so I checked the temp display which said "Lo". Ok, fair enough so I let it warm up to about 60 degrees before trying to shift to first again. Same problem. I'm getting pretty annoyed at this point, and thinking that something's gone wrong with the bike. After a few more tries I give up and put it back in the garage. After taking off all my gear I decided to get out my phone and google the problem. I'm sure you've all guessed it by this stage - there's a cutoff switch in the kickstand which of course I had forgotten to raise. Sigh. All the gear back on. Bike back out of the garage. Start it up. Raise the kickstand! Shift to first, and sure enough all is good :) As I always say, a lesson learned the hard way is a lesson learned well!
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2