Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Another Adelaidian Noob.

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by discostew, Nov 5, 2008.

1. G"day All,

I'm new to this Forum (as a member) although I have used the site on numerous occasions to research for my impending purchase. It has been very very helpful, especially the new riders bidget and tips.

So here I am finally on board.

I currently own a little Aprilia scooter (SR50), have had it now for over 3 years and love it, but with all good things it must come to an end.

The "Minister for War & Finance" has approved the loan to upgrade, so I am busily looking for what is around. I have my full license, and know my limitations and lack of riding skill, so I will keep it to a 250 for this stage.

I am therefore new to motorcycling and appreciate any advice.

2. G'day discostew - welcome to netrider!

I have recently (in the past 2 months) made the transition from scooter (Honda Lead 100) to bike (kwaka gpx250), and its great! It is a very different ball-game, but there is so much more freedon in what you can do and where you can go on a bike.

I can recommend the gpx. I picked up mine, a 96 with 26000km on it for $2300. For that little money, it accelerates well, is easy to ride, has a solid reputation and doesn't use much fuel - if I'm easy, I can get 400km before reserve.

Everyone says 250s are slow, but the gpx stats say 0-100 in about 6 seconds. That may be slow for a bike, but it's quick compared to everything that I have driven! A 250 seems to be great for learning on.

I hope you have a great time! :grin:
  3. goodness we have some Simpsons fans here :LOL:

why limit yourself to a 250 for the upgrade? You could get a 500 or a 600 and with three year's roadcraft behind you would not be out of your depth....