Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Annoying starter

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Firebird68, Oct 28, 2015.

1. new to this site, in fact new to riding motorbikes (on the road anyway)...
    got my learners last week and bought a 1992 CB250 and ride to work every day.....guy I bought it from said the only issue with the bike is that every so often it fails to start after the first push of the starter - start motor cranks well but just does not start for a split second... second push fires it right up and all good....you can stop and start for hours and it's fine... but then when I park at work in the sun (26 degrees C) for a few hours and try and start it later it won't fire up for about 10 minutes of continuously pressing the starter on and off... It's driving me nuts... should I take to a bike shop or should I start checking things out myself.... any ideas out there appreciated!!

2. Try a new spark plug and while you are there replace the spark plug cap.
    A lot of the carby Honda's need some choke, as if you are doing the first start in the morning after standing for only 20 minutes.

3. yeah I thought of the choke when I arrived home, so will ride to work again and try the choke in the afternoon...
    plugs and cap look new, in fact I can see new gaskets on the engine casings so looks like some overhauling has been done recently....thanks....