Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

animals on the road

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by evelknievel75, Dec 16, 2010.

1. Can anyone advise on what action they would take if an animal came out onto the road if they were riding by?

swerve? stand on the footpegs and unfortunately keep going? e-brake?

any experiences?

this is not a rider down post but i read recently what happened to a NSW rider last night in the Riverina ( RIP ) in avoiding a dog on the road. Since here in Australia we have a lot of wildlife this is something i want to be prepared for.
  2. What size animal depends on what I'll do.I'll try to avoid contact with animal life,but it happens.
    I hit a snake once near Kathrine..I forgot to miss that one.Riding outside of Darwin you'll get buffalo wandering around,those guys take right of way over bikes.
    I've cut a bunny in twain heading to Ballarat,I only felt the slightest knock through the bars..not a twitch but a knock.
    Once gave a lift to a feral cat near Deniliquin ..that bugger tore the belly fairing on my XJ900.
    Impacted with Galahs once on my XS650,found a cooked claw in the cooling fins amongst the pink feathers.

My ride to and from work exposes me to the occasional roo and lots of black wallabies..those guys are unpredictable..I slow right down if I see them.
    Sometimes there is not much you can do..it's a random thing that often your reflexes take care of, the only variation would be if there is traffic behind or passing at the time..even then ya cant say till on the day.
  3. Had a small deer apparently pass through the spokes of my front wheel once. As I recall, my course of action was to shit myself :LOL:.
  4. I haven't contacted any big animals, only snakes.

I wouldn't swerve, animals are just as likely to move back the other way (actually swerve for snakes because they are slow). If it was a cat size or smaller I would brake then accelerate a second before hitting it to raise the front wheel to see if I can get over it. If it was bigger I would hit the brakes and hope for the best.

That has worked for me.
  5. Brakes and only brakes. That goes for animals and humans alike.
  6. Like most things, there is no golden foolproof method of success. You have to let common sense prevail. It's advisable to knock off speed as your first reaction, approach cautiously, as the animal is usually going to bolt in any of the 360deg available to it, then you have to be ready to quickly change direction.

If time to react is non existent then it's a bit of a crap shoot... You might change direction to increase separation only to find the animal change direction back In front of you.

You just have to be ready to brake, change direction and brake more, if you have the chance. With no time at all, it comes down more to what the animal does, as at that point your destiny it up to the animal.

On whole, braking is probably the best default action to take If there is any kind of warning. That way, even if you do hit, at least you will be at a lower speed.
  7. Myself and Marty had to brake hard for a crocodile crossing the road at the old pac, thing was bloody huge

Ok, it was a goanna :D
  8. Yeah I read that article this morning very sad indeed.

I have read of other guys though that have hit or glanced roos etc and although come off have been luckier.

I don't think there is a foolproof method to avoid it but understand that dawn and dusk are common times for critters to be active so maybe just best to avoid those times if possible. Also I think for someone that usually drives in traffic they may become a little lax when travelling through more rural area but obviously there is still plenty to be mindful of.
  9. Back when I was learning to ride it was still common practice in suburbia for people to let their dogs wander the street. Of course often dogs get excited by the growl of bikes so it wasn't uncommon to have dog attack the bike. Sometimes it took you by complete suprise at which time you usually adjusted your sphincter.

Other time you could see them coming (or if you got to know your neighborhood dogs). For these you would slow down to give them a chance to miss you and then once you were confident where they were going you would accelerate. leaving a dog very pleased with himself having just seen off a much larger and nosier dog.

Cats will just bolt, hence which there are a lot of two-dimension moggies about.

Kangaroos and Emus are different stories, however. Most of the time they'll do exactly the opposite to what you expect them to do. Many a time I've seen cars almost past them on the side of the road only to see them change direction and run straight across the path of the vehicle. The best action there is to just brake.
  10. often horn will scare most animals away. Kangaroos occasionally have enough sense to move away from the noise rather than at it.
  11. ..had emu's and roo's run straight into the side of the truck!! *smack*... i'm sure bikes wouldn't stand a chance, if that's the case!. (anyone tried those roo whistles??.. they didn't seem to work on the truck!).
  12. I agree with the "brakes" brigade. I know the natural reaction is to swerve, but I reckon it exposes you to more danger. I hit a wombat once (in the car). Man, that was like hitting a brick wall.
  13. Or a cement truck?
  14. I've always suspected that it would be like hitting a large bowling ball.
  15. A couple of possibly obvious things that haven't been mentioned...

Kangaroos travel in mobs so one can quickly turn into a nicely staggered stream of ten or more. One of whom will often double back in an attempt to lead you away from his mates, impress the ladies, and win the Roo VC.

Wombats will charge at you and are fast. So even if they seem to be enjoying the roadside grass give them a wide berth.

I've spent much of my life in the country and most of the last twenty years in the Snowy Mountains. I've got a murder tally of one deer, one rabbit, a finch and a clipped roo. I largely put this down to dumb luck. However, it's worth remembering that much of the road kill you see is the result of the driving of the moronic, the indifferent, and the sadistic.

The only specific advice I can give you is to scan the roadside approaches constantly, travel in the centre of the road (not your lane) when you can and, as others have said, in general at the first sign of trouble to brake and brake hard then reassess. Sure, meeting a 7ft buck nose to nose mid-stoppie is not ideal but it's generally better than ploughing into him at speed.
  16. Wombats are buggers - they are like hitting a rock. When I lived in SA years ago our local doctor hit a wombat at speed in his Fiat X1/9 sports. Flipped him end over end and into a fatal head on with a truck.

I've hit one at over 100mph in a Mk VII Jaguar. (back when it was still legal to do that speed). The 2 tonne Jag was OK but the wombat wasn't.
  17. I don't think they work period.
  18. I didn't even know we have deer in Australia until this post :rofl: