Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Angry angry man

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by jack_1313, Jun 2, 2012.

1. No, this isn’t a thread about a cage rage incident. The angry man is me. Grrrrrrrrrrr!

One of the drivers at work reversed into my baby Hornet. I’d parked it about a foot behind the business’ car on an perpendicular angle. I leave my bike in that spot every time I work and have been doing so for at least a year and a half, and just move it on the rare occasions that one of the drivers need to borrow the car. On this occasion, I didn’t realise that someone was taking the car out. The driver must not have had a very good look at what was behind him, because he reversed straight into it, pushing the bike over its side stand.

Luckily for him, the tank, ducktail and left engine cover were already damaged. But the newly damaged items that should really be replaced are:

Side stand
    Clutch lever
    Right mirror
    Aftermarket windscreen (Scuffed and has a small crack. Six months old, $160)
    Possibly the brake pedal, if I can’t bend it back into a good shape

My estimate of the repair bill: $260. I’ll check the frame tomorrow to make sure it’s not damaged.

The driver’s a good enough man to not try to apportion blame onto me for leaving the bike behind the car. Of course I will do the repair myself, and try to source the parts as cheaply as possible. But what do you think: should I play Mr Nice Guy and cut him a deal because of the position in which I’d parked the bike?
  2. WHy? I would take it to a repairer and give him the bill. If you are driving, it is your responsibility not to hit anything - no matter how something is parked.
    The driver is 100% at fault. (are you sure it was already damaged?:demon:)

Obviously, to keep relations at work harmonious, it is a good path to take, and no doubt you will prolly have to find a new spot if it escalates.

Your choice - convenience short term or long really?
  3. As someone who played mister nice guy when next door backed into my hornet, i can tell you dont.

Go over everything, especially the tank! i didnt notice they dented mine till after the matter was settled and then send them the bill. Tell your mechanic the nature of the job and tell him to give himself an extra $50 on top of the standard quote so you get a good job.

4. Things to think about. It was a company vehicle and an employee who backed into it. It is IMO the companies responsibility to pay for damages. But expect both you and him to get in shit from the boss.
  5. Honest **** up - company car - get every bit of damaged fixed perfectly...boss can **** right off if he's got any abuse to throw your way.
  6. Yep. I'd get the bloke to work it out with the boss as to who pays. As to the COST of parts, I reckon you can afford to be gracious, and just get the bits you need, and get it fixed on budget. Sometime down the track you're going to need some goodwill from the company, and things like not hitting them up for the maximum get remembered.....

Besides, it's a baby Hornet, right? You're not going to be keeping it forever, and if it's already got a few battle-scars, why make parts of it brand new?
  7. Excess on company policies is usually $750 upwards.
    Just playing the devils here.
    What if mr oops goes to mr boss and mr boss says you two work it out and he says well you were wrongly parked.
    Because you repeat an offense enough doesn't make it right.

Could get messy so I am just giving you angles to cover before you go into bat. Better off with a bit of knowledge instead of hope
  8. Write a little sign up and laminate it saying 'Please ask Jack to move his bike' and stick it on the driver's window. Should stop it happening again.
  9. I just secured another 8 bike parking spots at work (two car spots). Do the fix on the cheap but leverage the incident to get a bigger win (a better parking spot).
  10. :-s well, I'd say be as gracious as can be......(not knowing all the circumstances/nuances of working there)......there could well be a sign along the lines of 'park at your own risk'....the boss may well say 'sort it y'selves' and workmate may well tell you to f**k Orf if you try to stitch him.......

Try on a civil matter in court (I know it wouldnt get there for these $$) and you'd get laughed at for parking behind a car in its parking spot (if I understand correctly)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. For a whole $260 or so, and since he's being decent about it so far, I'd do the repairs and let him know you saved on what the cost could have been.

If he becomes less accomodating when it comes to crunch time, I'd then probably suggest going halves in the cost. $130 each is bugger-all next to the hassle these cases can become. If he still refuses to square up, then you have on your side that you sought to reduce the cost by doing the work yourself, then even offered to split the cost as a gesture of goodwill.
  12. Parking 300mm from a vehicle is not legal.You should accept some of the blame for the driver pehaps not seeing your bike.
  13. It matters not a jot how he was parked. It's up to the driver or whoever hits the bike to make sure there is room, no obstructions before proceeding.
    Why do we pay insurance?
    Get it done right, 1st time and quickly.

Good luck
  14. Hi Rennsport, can you link me to the law on this? I had a look yesterday but couldn’t find anything specifying a minimum distance or even indicating that it’s illegal to park behind another vehicle.

The business owner took the position of “you two sort it out amongst yourselves” right away, but mentioned to me that “it’s a 50-50 type thing” in regards to responsibility. That annoyed me because I know that he must’ve realised that he is actually the one who is ultimately responsible for that car. I didn’t say anything other than “That’s bullshit.”

Took the brake pedal off today and bent it back into shape.

I’m planning to take money for the side stand, clutch lever (both wrecked) and scuffed mirror. I think that the driver will be good for it.

Regarding the windscreen, I found a bit of a compromise that will allow both me and the driver to benefit. There is a different windscreen online (Puig Ranger) that is bigger and thus would suit me even better than the damaged one. Its value is about the same, but given that it’s not the same item that was damaged and that I’ll get some benefit from the exchange, I think it’s fair to split the value 50-50 with him.

The old windshield (National Cycle F-15 Tour) was already huge for a 250, so this one must be a bit of a monstrosity. My bike is going to be 90% windscreen.
  15. No idea of the legalities involved, and I get the impression it doesn't matter /\ .Go with your initial instincts mate. The new screen sounds good too. Molehills and Mountains are generally of our own making. Hope it works out okay.
  16. IMO the parking issue would be a civil one. As regards to insurance, well, onus in on the party that failed to ensure clear space before moving off.
    Happened to be in Bondi Jtn years ago. Pulled into a tight space behind a white van in a loading zone. 2 seconds in the shop, come out and low and behold, white van mans reversed into my bike. He storms off to the cops saying I was illegally parked so it was my fault. Cops told him otherwise. He hit me. I was stationry.
    I could be wrong, but that's how it was and is I believe.
    Ask the RTA or a copper?