Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC And stil they keep coming out of the woodwork.

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Barwon Roadsafe have managed to come up with this gem.
    And the Geelong Advertiser have somehow linked it to Ulysses.

Not happy! My comments in red.

original story

Closed: thread already started at http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2012/04/17/320131_news.html

2. The left side of the bell curve will always be there shitting things up for the rest of us.
  3. This is a great idea! As long as every cager re-sits the driving test!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Lol funkin dip shits. Stick with knitting Roadsafe Barwon.
  5. I've sent off a quick email to this mob to see if I can get some insight, sounds like stock standard RoadSafe though (police sock puppets).

TonyE, are you able to provide a link to those reports if needed, in particular the Queensland one?
  6. Muppet on a string...

7. I have an electronic copy of the Queensland one but no link at present

Report details

Older motorcycle rider safety in Queensland
    Author/s Broadley=C (Queensland. Department of Transport and Main Roads), Hawkins=A (ARTD Consultants)

Publication DATE: 2011-11, PAGES: 10p, PUBLISHER: Insurance Commission of Western Australia, T: Perth, S: Western Australia, C: Australia Conference Australasian Road Safety Research, Policing and Education Conference, 2011, Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Abstract Previous research has documented an increase in the number of motorcycle registrations and crashes in Australia (including Queensland) in the last decade and an increasing trend of older rider involvement in crashes. The current research was commissioned by the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads to better understand these trends and to inform policy designed to improve older rider safety. The research drew on licensing, registration, offence and crash data for all riders in Queensland over two five year periods (financial years 1993–98 and 2003–08); and included two surveys (n = 1,592 and 1,821 respectively) targeting active riders.

Crash data analysis revealed that while the number of older riders in crashes has increased, the number of active riders has also increased, meaning that the crash rate for older riders has actually decreased. It was also found that older riders ride more, but crash less and commit fewer traffic offences than younger riders. Analysis of survey responses revealed differences in attitudes towards motorcycle safety between younger and older riders, and the use of protective clothing and equipment. Older riders were less likely to be influenced by others during group rides than younger riders, and reported noticing the effect ageing was having on their riding. Participants also acknowledged the challenges of returning to riding and the changing traffic environment. This paper discusses the results of the crash, offence and survey analyses in terms of their implications for future research and motorcycle safety policy development

If you want it - PM me your email
  8. So is there room for a motorcycling group within roadsafe?
  9. RoadSafe groups are community based groups and most would welcome a motorcyclist volunteering to join.

Northern Roadsafe (my local area) has Perry Stephens (Ulysses NatCom member) and Inner Melbourne has Wendy Taylor. Wendy received an award for the work she did on motorcycle route safety a year or so back. She's a former MRA board member.

A copy of Wendy's paper is published in http://acrs.org.au/wp-content/uploads/ACRS-Journal-21-1-Web1.pdf

Roger Northam was a member of the Ulysses National Road Safety Committee and Ulysses rep on VMAC and did a lot of good work with Barwon Roadsafe before he retired due to ill health. I suspect if Rog had still been there we'd have seen a very different set of comments.

I think it would be a good idea if anyone is interested in having a motorcycle voice to contact their local group and see if they are interested in taking you on as a member.

(Warning: it will be a pretty thankless task and you'll feel as if you're banging your head against a brick wall)
  10. Happen to go to a Geelong Road Seminar/Workshop today and at it were members of Barwon Roadsafe. Let it known to them that they were anti motorcycle but they said they were far from it and couldn't see why I was saying it.

Anyway they have a motorcycle sub committee of one, who has links with the Geelong HOGs and the Ulysses motorcycle groups.(hence the comments TonyE)

He says he's looking for riders not associated with clubs, so I've given him my details to see if anything goes any further.
  11. Its all about the timing as the RSC committee will be finalising its recommendations. With the help of the Geelong Advertiser Roadsafe Barwon may be attempting to sway the committee members.

In my opinion this is a political statement. Should Roadsafe Barwon be shut down?
  12. Did anyone else see the TV 'safety ads' from the gippsland branch?
  13. Why bother with high-vis? I'll just hardwire my stebel nautilus to be on as soon as the engine is. That should solve any issues, right?
  14. No reply, though I'm guessing it's because the email link on their website looks broken.
  15. Anything further develop mate?
  16. Don't be silly mate. You can hear the crickets chirping when you tell them something they don't want to hear or is against their thought process.
  17. Roadsafe in Mildura sponsor a Rider Training day at Aus-Link's facilities.
    HART or StayUpright do the training. It is open to all licenced riders. This year aimed at newbies. Fifteen riders turned up. In previous years we've had about 30.
    It consists of a seminar with the training organisation, ambos and police having a say, and then a day riding out on the complex.
    All for $40! ..including supper and lunch!

Maybe other Roadsafe communities should take a look at doing this?